Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cartilage replacement - anyone here had it or know someone who has?

A google search has shown a procedure where cartliage cells can be cultured and replaced back into the joint.

Has anyone ever had this treatment or know someone who has?

An overall good read regarding joint wear and repair:

http://knol.google.com/k/c-benjamin-...R7Q0inq/hpms2a#

http://www.scoi.com/carticel.htm

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 6:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That autologous chondrocyte implantation injection thing is too cool. I hope it holds up well in the long-term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 7:04pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That does look cool as hell. Got mine scoped out a few years back, and now it aches when I run a lot. Nice to know there might be an option if this gets worse over the years.

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 8:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know if it will help but Marco Van Basten (dutch footballing superstriker) retired owing to cartilage problems. He was alleged to have had a donor (dead) replacement but it did not equip him for the very high level required of International football etc so he stayed retired.

Supposed to be true - not an urban myth.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 8:57am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Calling my ortho TODAY.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I work in the industry. Just my opinion, but right now the costs, complications and hassle don't balance the benefits. Clinical outcomes at two years are kinda blah, or at least equivalent to cheaper and more commonly available techniques such as microfracture et al. Long-term outcomes, when they finally get 'em, aren't likely to revolutionize anything. If I were facing moderate to serious problems from cartilage degeneration I'd probably go for some kinda synthetic buffer injections until it got so bad I'd need resurfacing implants. If you can hold off 10-12 years there's some cool **** being worked on now, but clearing FDA and getting to market is gonna take for-fuckin'-ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 1:23pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True story. Guy got a scope and a scrape, cells sent off to lab for six weeks. Day before he goes back in to get the graft put in he gets a phone call.

"Um, there's been a bit of a complication. The company we sent your cells to? Yeah, they went bust."

Far as I know, he's still waiting.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 1:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
    I work in the industry. Just my opinion, but right now the costs, complications and hassle don't balance the benefits. Clinical outcomes at two years are kinda blah, or at least equivalent to cheaper and more commonly available techniques such as microfracture et al. Long-term outcomes, when they finally get 'em, aren't likely to revolutionize anything. If I were facing moderate to serious problems from cartilage degeneration I'd probably go for some kinda synthetic buffer injections until it got so bad I'd need resurfacing implants. If you can hold off 10-12 years there's some cool **** being worked on now, but clearing FDA and getting to market is gonna take for-fuckin'-ever.
    Thanks Fagbot (hard to type that one and keep a straight face)

I return next week to have stitches removed from my endoscopic surgery. The orthopedic surgeon commented that I had no cartilage remaining (right shoulder).

Given my relatively young 49 years of age, I'm wondering what my best long term options is?

My posts here are in an effort to find questions I should be asking for the return visit.
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm, your best long-term solution is going to be total shoulder arthroplasty - but you sure as **** want to avoid that now; when I say "long-term" I mean both "lasting and effective outcome" as well as "wait 20 years if you can."

I know for knees you can get **** like Synvisc, which is an injected lubricant made out of ground-up chicken heads, and I'd do some research on whether it's been approved for upper extremity use (or will work there and your doctor will stick it in you despite the indications restricting use to the knee), or if there's something similar available. I'd also see how far good ol' fashioned physical therapy will take you.

Now, despite my alias here I'm not a doc - I navigate regulatory pathways for a company that develops and manufactures mostly mechanical solutions for treating joint problems. But in the course of my work I look at clinical outcomes for different product types etc. and personally I'd be real leery of any short or mid-term solution involving resurfacing or any kind of device implantation. You're young enough (and I'm assuming active enough) that you'd be guaranteeing yourself revision surgery in a few years, and you won't be putting no judo on no one after going through some of that. If your doc is halfway good he'll be telling you the same story.

I dunno, maybe the best advice is to listen to whatever your doc recommends, and if there's a product he wants to use - drug, device, whatever - search Google Scholar for studies with clinical outcomes, and check the FDA online database (http://www.fda.gov/search/databases.html) for what are called "adverse events."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2009 9:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^^
    Awesome post Dr. FQM.

My concern is for what helps now, but more so, how long will it last.

I have confidence in my doctor. He was recommended highly. These are the type issues that I would like to discuss with him when I return.

My sincere thanks,

Joe
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 2/13/2009 10:04pm at . Reason: spelling