Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 2:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

DC Gyms

For anyone who's familiar with DC, is there any school/gym near Foggy Bottom that teaches at least Judo and BJJ? I mean I was looking for an MMA school that teaches those and Mauy Thai, but the only places I can find are in Arlington. I go to George Washington University, so I cant really go too much farther from there, but I really want to continue with these arts... I was thinking about making a club and hiring an instructor for it from a nearby school, and I already started the process and everything, but I'm unsure how well that would work...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 8:09pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralMcNugget
    For anyone who's familiar with DC, is there any school/gym near Foggy Bottom that teaches at least Judo and BJJ? I mean I was looking for an MMA school that teaches those and Mauy Thai, but the only places I can find are in Arlington. I go to George Washington University, so I cant really go too much farther from there, but I really want to continue with these arts... I was thinking about making a club and hiring an instructor for it from a nearby school, and I already started the process and everything, but I'm unsure how well that would work...
    Washington Judo Club has a gym on Georgetown campus.
    No BJJ, but a VERY good club.

Email Tad Nalls nalls@us.net

Tomas

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 11:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah... so is this club a part of Georgetown? Or its just a general club that holds its practices on the Georgetown campus? I mean I guess this is good and all seeing that I've only done MT and BJJ, and I've really been wanting to get some Judo in. But in all honesty, I really wanted to get something started here for the convenience of myself, in addition to others that want to do this... But I'll definitely check with them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 1:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capital Jiu Jitsu is on the yellow or blue line. You can get off at either King Street or Eisenhower Ave and then you'll have about a 5 minute walk. I trained there a little while back and the place is excellent.

www.gracieva.com

Edit: they also have a location near Dulles which you are free to train at as well.
    Last edited by Ungjaevel; 2/09/2009 11:00am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 10:34am

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a Yamasaki school in DC
    http://bjjdc.com/
    good thing about Yamasaki is that you are free to train at any of their schools. I believe they have 2 in MD and at least 4 in VA.

Okinawa Aikikai 2639 Connecticut Ave, NW, Suite C-104 Washington, D.C. 20008
    Schedule

Tuesdays and Thursdays @ 8pm Saturdays @ 12pm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 6:22pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Lloyd Irvin has an affiliate program in Chinatown. Washington Judo Club is very highly rated, catering to all levels of training. Yamasaki's affiliate is near Dupont Circle, I think. There are also a number of programs just outside the city limits (Metro accessible), such as Lloyd Irvin's main school in Camp Springs, MD.... Jeff Ruth's NoVA MMA in Arlington... 50/Fifty BJJ in Arlington, VA.... Capital Jiu Jitsu in Alexandria, VA.... Yamasaki's in Rockville, MD.... Maguilla's BJJ and Capital Punishment MMA in Silver Spring, MD..... Sport Judo in Alexandria, VA....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 6:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the 2 Arlington gyms are only a few miles from Georgetown. If you're at GW University, it's like 1 mile to the Key Bridge (if that) then approx. 2 miles to NoVA MMA in Arlington (novamma.com), which is where I coach Muay Thai. Our team regularly runs from the gym to the Exorcist Stairs (by the Key Bridge) and do interval exercises there on the weekends. It's totally within reach!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 6:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just measured it on USTAF Running Routes website.... It's 2.75 miles from GWU to NoVA MMA (TLI). That's going through Georgetown to the Key Bridge, crossing over into Rosslyn, then going up Wilson Blvd to the gym.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 8:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I went to Lloyd Irvin's Crazy 88 in Elkridge before coming here, and when I asked them about any nearby Schools, they told me to go to you guys (NoVA MMA). The problem was that I was unsure of the difficulty it would be to get there, and that I forgot the name so I couldn't look it up... But that sounds awesome, doesn't sound too hard to get to either... Is there a quick way on Metro? Like can I stop into Rosslyn and walk from there, or would that take too long?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 8:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you looking to compete in MMA or just looking for a place to train?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast