222045 Bullies, 4172 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 42
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. bloc is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9

    Posted On:
    2/08/2009 11:58am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    deadlift grip

    Hey guys,

    I have a question about my deadlift grip. I use a mixed grip.

    The problem is when I deadlift anymore than say 150kgs I seem to end up with nasty torn calasis. I dont care about having calasis its just when they get torn its rather hard to carry on training. I know that gloves don't allow for a good enough grip so I don't use them. I also heard that straps are really good to help you lift heavier but it inhibits your forearm and grip strength so some trainers say don't use them.

    I go to a big gym chain so I doubt they would appreciate me messing up there equipment with powder.

    Any suggestion of what to do?\\]cbcc]

    ccccc

    cjfdc3333dfxbcbsdcbdbscccccc]]||||||?><<<<<<<LLL
  2. Carpe Noctem is offline
    Carpe Noctem's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Too close to Flint
    Posts
    898

    Posted On:
    2/08/2009 1:14pm


     Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try sanding down your calluses. Makes them less likely to tear.
  3. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Posted On:
    2/08/2009 1:18pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bloc
    I also heard that straps are really good to help you lift heavier but it inhibits your forearm and grip strength so some trainers say don't use them.
    Uh, they don't "inhibit" your forearm and grip strength, exactly... they just take them out of the picture for that particular exercise. You can still train them using a different exercise (timed holds, farmer's walk, rope hang, grippers, wrist rollers, etc).

    And yes, torn calluses suck ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
  4. bloc is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9

    Posted On:
    2/09/2009 11:35am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers guys,

    I'll try sanding them down. If that doesn't help much I might invest in some straps and just find some different exercises for grip and my forearms.
  5. Cassius is online now
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,969

    Posted On:
    2/09/2009 9:46pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where are you gripping the bar in your hand? I've always been told to grip toward the fingers to avoid doing what you describe happening to you. Admittedly, I only use powerlifting as a supplement to my training, so the frequency with which I deadlift (2x a week) might be why I'm not having any real problems with the lift fucking my hands up. But I do other compound exercises involving pulling motions toward my body, and I still rarely get torn calluses.

    Regardless, I'll go on, and Macho, or someone else more gym-oriented, can beat me down if I am wrong. The two main grips I have been taught are basically "toward the fingers" and "toward the palms." Toward the fingers is for pulling motions toward your body, and toward the palms is for pushing motions away from your body. If you find that limiting to the amount of weight you can lift, you might want to try grip strengthening exercises to supplement your training, since grip strength is often a limiting factor for how much you can deadlift, bent over row, etc.
    Last edited by Cassius; 2/09/2009 9:48pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  6. TheRuss is offline
    TheRuss's Avatar

    is badder than you

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Not Canada
    Posts
    4,334

    Posted On:
    2/09/2009 10:03pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bloc
    Cheers guys,

    I'll try sanding them down. If that doesn't help much I might invest in some straps and just find some different exercises for grip and my forearms.
    Full disclosure: I got some nasty torn calluses shortly after starting to use straps. Haven't had a problem since then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Where are you gripping the bar in your hand? I've always been told to grip toward the fingers to avoid doing what you describe happening to you. Admittedly, I only use powerlifting as a supplement to my training, so the frequency with which I deadlift (2x a week) might be why I'm not having any real problems with the lift fucking my hands up. But I do other compound exercises involving pulling motions toward my body, and I still rarely get torn calluses.

    Regardless, I'll go on, and Macho, or someone else more gym-oriented, can beat me down if I am wrong. The two main grips I have been taught are basically "toward the fingers" and "toward the palms." Toward the fingers is for pulling motions toward your body, and toward the palms is for pushing motions away from your body. If you find that limiting to the amount of weight you can lift, you might want to try grip strengthening exercises to supplement your training, since grip strength is often a limiting factor for how much you can deadlift, bent over row, etc.
    Stronglifts agrees with you.
    Proper Grip for Deadlifts: bar close to the fingers, not in the palm of your hands.
    Correct Bench Grip on the right: bar in hand palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
  7. Cassius is online now
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,969

    Posted On:
    2/09/2009 10:08pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, good to know I'm not a total gym moron.

    I guess I'll download this Strong Lifts PDF everyone speaks so highly of. Seems like it might come in handy next year, when I will likely look like an emaciated corpse.
    Last edited by Cassius; 2/09/2009 10:10pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  8. Carpe Noctem is offline
    Carpe Noctem's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Too close to Flint
    Posts
    898

    Posted On:
    2/09/2009 10:22pm


     Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm doing Stronglifts right now. I like it so far. Strength is going up steadily and recovery has been pretty good.
  9. LI GUY 1 is offline
    LI GUY 1's Avatar

    GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,561

    Posted On:
    2/09/2009 11:42pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double overhand grip gives the grip strength, mixed not so much IMO. Just use DOH until your grip fails for the day, then throw on the straps for the last sets.
  10. bloc is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    9

    Posted On:
    2/10/2009 8:24am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure I hold the bar close to my fingers but I'll check it out. Its only when do deadlifts that I tear my calluses and its only on the heavy days.

    Deadlifts again today so I'll see how I go with some of the pointers that you guys have suggested.

    Don't want to stop doing them as it's my favourite lift.

    Cheers.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.