Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 6:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New to all of this and need advice.

Story dates back a few years ago i was playing varsity football and everything was all right had scouts and was planning to go play college ball. Got into a fight hit a kid twice broke his jaw and crushed his cheekbone into his nasal canal so i got kicked out of school anyways all my football dreams were crushed back then i was around 6'1 230 lbs i was built not super ripped but i was built. Anyways i got really depressed and i let myself stop working out and it really hurt me. As of the last couple years ive been really into MMA and fighting i wrestled varsity since my freshman year i wrestled at 185. Anyways like i said i got really depressed stopped working out and now im pushing around 280 i need to drastically drop weight and get on a healthy diet and workout program the problem is i have basic workout equipment at my house and cant afford a gym at this stage in my training.when i get in shape and actually start fighting ill pay for one. Anyways i will take any and all serious advice on things to take for that drastic weight loss and id like to lose as much as possible in6 months im down to do anything hardcore i dont care. ALso i need to know what fighting style is the best to start with. I think id like to strike and im fairly a good wrestler already so maybe boxing or some fort of a grapling i dont know im open to any and all serious advice. I want to at least drop to 250 in 6 months if at all possible i will take anything needed to do this. Thank you all for your help.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 9:09am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try Muay Thai. If you do that 5 days a week, you will drop all that weight and learn a good striking art in the process.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 1:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezmoney21
    Story dates back a few years ago i was playing varsity football and everything was all right had scouts and was planning to go play college ball. Got into a fight hit a kid twice broke his jaw and crushed his cheekbone into his nasal canal so i got kicked out of school anyways all my football dreams were crushed back then i was around 6'1 230 lbs i was built not super ripped but i was built. Anyways i got really depressed and i let myself stop working out and it really hurt me. As of the last couple years ive been really into MMA and fighting i wrestled varsity since my freshman year i wrestled at 185.

Anyways like i said i got really depressed stopped working out and now im pushing around 280 i need to drastically drop weight and get on a healthy diet and workout program the problem is i have basic workout equipment at my house and cant afford a gym at this stage in my training.when i get in shape and actually start fighting ill pay for one.

Anyways i will take any and all serious advice on things to take for that drastic weight loss and id like to lose as much as possible in6 months im down to do anything hardcore i dont care.

ALso i need to know what fighting style is the best to start with. I think id like to strike and im fairly a good wrestler already so maybe boxing or some fort of a grapling i dont know im open to any and all serious advice.

I want to at least drop to 250 in 6 months if at all possible i will take anything needed to do this. Thank you all for your help.
    Split into paragraphs for our reading enjoyment.

Style-wise, there are lots of options. Given that you don't have the cash to pay for a gym membership, though, you're probably going to be looking at judo or boxing. What are your options?

Weight loss:
    1) Start a food journal. Stick to it religiously.
    You need to track three things:
    -What you're eating
    -How much of it you're eating (grams/millilitres)
    -What the nutritional components of it are (calories, fat/carbs/protein)
    Once you know what you're actually eating, we can figure out what you should be eating.

2) Start logging your weight daily. Mornings (right after you take care of your bodily functions) are best, but as long as it's at the same time every day, you'll be fine long-term. Do not pay attention to the number on the scale - weigh yourself, write the number down, and forget about it. I'll explain why later.

3) Instead of eating a few big meals, eat lots of small meals. (Emphasis on small)

4) Physical training. If you can get into fight training, that's great. Interval training is also great (see this and this).

If you can do all four of these things consistently, then we can start talking about other stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 3:39pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about the big long venting earlier. And from now on i will type in paragraphs.

First off i would like to say thank you for your posts and keep them coming. As far as a diet goes i've heard some good tricks and would like to have some input on them. The first one being an all fruit and water diet for 1 week straight. The theory behind it was to completley clear all the toxins out of your body. I did it once and felt great the next week very energized and hydrated and im ok with doing that like once every other month but what kind of diet should i throw in for weight loss i don't know much on the body but am ready to learn.

Next i have a choice between a JJ class or Boxing. I think JJ would be the most helpful in the long run but i beleive getting some standup in may be helful because that just fits my style and attitude. Im pretty well versed at wrestling and takedown as ive wrestled most of my life so i would love to work on some standup because i beleive i have heavy hands. Which i understand that if i can box and wrestle i can take someone down but once they are down how to finish which would be my third step obviously. What other things could i learn to throw into a standup game?

As for a workout how should i go about a weight loss workout ive been about bulking the entire time ive ever worked out always about bulking never about cutting or anything soo im a little confused on what to do there cause the last thing i want to do at the moment is to gain weight.

Lastly i'm only 18 so i have a long mma career ahead of me and want to make sure i get off to a good start soo i was wondering opinions on everyones top 5 fighting styles and if ud please rank them 1-5 that would be awesome to see the actually diversity and to compare.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 3:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off i would like to say thank you for your posts and keep them coming. As far as a diet goes i've heard some good tricks and would like to have some input on them. The first one being an all fruit and water diet for 1 week straight. The theory behind it was to completley clear all the toxins out of your body. I did it once and felt great the next week very energized and hydrated and im ok with doing that like once every other month but what kind of diet should i throw in for weight loss i don't know much on the body but am ready to learn.
    Don't make any dietary changes yet. Just keep track of what you eat normally, and try to eat more often without eating more food in total. Example:

If right now, you eat 3 meals a day, each of which are 1000 kcal, 3 meals/day * 1000kcal/meal = 3000kcal/day.
    Instead of that, eat six meals a day. 3000 kcal/day / 6 meals/day = 500 kcal/meal.

Next i have a choice between a JJ class or Boxing. I think JJ would be the most helpful in the long run but i beleive getting some standup in may be helful because that just fits my style and attitude. Im pretty well versed at wrestling and takedown as ive wrestled most of my life so i would love to work on some standup because i beleive i have heavy hands. Which i understand that if i can box and wrestle i can take someone down but once they are down how to finish which would be my third step obviously. What other things could i learn to throw into a standup game?
    What type of JJ?

Generally, you should go take a trial class at both, and compare them. If your focus is on weight loss right now - which class do you enjoy more, and which gets you working harder? You can always try other stuff later - and at your age, you've got lots of time.

As for a workout how should i go about a weight loss workout ive been about bulking the entire time ive ever worked out always about bulking never about cutting or anything soo im a little confused on what to do there cause the last thing i want to do at the moment is to gain weight.
    Nope, the last thing you want to do at the moment is gain fat.

As far as resistance training goes, the go-to programs are Stronglifts 5x5 and Westside For Skinny Bastards.

Did you click the links I gave you about interval training?

Lastly i'm only 18 so i have a long mma career ahead of me and want to make sure i get off to a good start soo i was wondering opinions on everyones top 5 fighting styles and if ud please rank them 1-5 that would be awesome to see the actually diversity and to compare.
    If you train properly with aliveness under a competent instructor, you'll improve as a fighter. If you want to know what "training properly", "aliveness" and "competent" are, the best place to ask that would probably be in Newbietown.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 10:55am

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=ezmoney21]ive been about bulking the entire time ive ever worked out always about bulking never about cutting or anything soo im a little confused on what to do there cause the last thing i want to do at the moment is to gain weight[quote]
    keep lifting. you won't bulk unless you eat more than usual. you need excess calories in order to bulk. you can still lift heavy and wont "bulk" if you are restricting your caloric intake.

you will also need to clean up your diet if you really want to start cutting. get rid of processed foods and prepackaged junk. chicken breast, turkey breast, egg whites, salmon, tuna, sweet potatos, fruits and veggies - tis the way to go. no snacky cakes. no cheezey poofs. just remember that if you are going to eat crap you will look like crap.

oh...and my very biased opinion = boxing. you wont regret it. boxing changed the way i looked at striking. i actually started out doing moo-tie. i still do the moo...but boxing is the SHIZZLE!!!
    Last edited by dinnerpig; 2/09/2009 10:59am at .

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 11:14am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your going to do MMA then you need to find an MMA gym to train. Traditional Japanese Jujitsu will not be sufficient for MMA and neither will just boxing. Just because you use to wrestle in high school does not mean you can wrestle in MMA. More wrestlers are getting into MMA than any other base sport these days so that usually negates the others wrestling.

You have to train in an environment conducive to your goals. If you wanted to play football in college and I told you to go train in rugby in high school to get ready for it you would fail miserably. The same goes for MMA. I would not tell someone who wanted to be a boxer to go train karate to be a good boxer. Get my point. The instructors in your area will lie that they can get you ready for an MMA event or that they stuff they are teaching can be used in MMA or that MMA is useless and that the stuff they teach is so deadly.

You want to get back in shape and you still have a competitive fire burning in you. That's great but find a place that will help you achieve your goals.

One you will need to work out for about 6 months to get back into shape and drop some weight. There is no secret to this go to the gym and work your ass off. Stop drinking beer smoking cigs and eating fried chicken.

Two you want to fight in MMA. Instead of spending 6 months losing weight do both train and lose weight by training. Plenty of guys lose 30-50lbs in that time period.

Three the gym you want should offer BRAZILIAN JUIJITSU, JUDO, BOXING, MMA and/or MUAY THAI from competent and knowledgeable group of instructors not just one guy. They should have a group of regularly competing guys and not just one guy who is also the coach.

Four sit down shut up and train. No one gives a **** about how many street fights you have been in. They amount to nothing in an MMA match. Consequently most of the douche bags that come in talking about they can street fight last about 20 minutes into the warm up and are never seen again.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 11:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnerpig
    get rid of processed foods and prepackaged junk.
    Not really, no.

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 6:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well i have the desire and the passion just need to place it somewhere. I have another quick question. Sleep i have the worst sleep schedule on the planet i go days without sleeping sometimes i don't know why possibly insomnia that is what i always attributed it to. How will that affect me in the long run.

Also supplements vitamins creatine is there anything i should start taking?

Once again i thank you all for the replies and keep them coming.
    Last edited by ezmoney21; 2/10/2009 6:06am at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 10:28am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well i have the desire and the passion just need to place it somewhere. I have another quick question. Sleep i have the worst sleep schedule on the planet i go days without sleeping sometimes i don't know why possibly insomnia that is what i always attributed it to. How will that affect me in the long run.
    Picture your progress as a camera balanced atop a tripod.
    The legs of the tripod are diet, rest, and training.
    Now kick out the "rest" leg.
    What happens to the camera?

Also supplements vitamins creatine is there anything i should start taking.
    Not yet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast