--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 7:49pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kinda agree with most people here, i tried his punch today and found it awkward to throw, and i was leaning too far to the right afterwards, which was problematic because i could A) get counter punched in the ribs with a right cross, B) kicked in the face with the left leg.

however i did find it more powerful because it is more open, but it was with a little side step to the right., its either that or it comes out in a check hook style, but i feel balanced awkwardly if i dont side step/check it a bit.

could come useful if you try to bully your opponent into a corner and throw one when he moves to your left, or at the end of a combo where you are definitely on the offensive.

but overall i did see in his books he tends to punch more straight even when he throws hooks or uppercuts, i guess turning your hips and twisting your fist a lot produces that awkward angle which sometimes catches fighters off guard, but this will only work for heavy hitters and if you follow with a clinch afterwards, but not for pure strikers IMO.

not a kicker, so i cant judge that, but why not just knee stomp instead of kicking with the side of the shin, or why kick at all (which fedor seems to do)

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 8:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I throw "his" hook all the time in sparring and I've never heard it described anywhere before now. The thing is I'm not a big guy and although I like it because it is easy to land I don't feel like I'm knocking anyone out with it anytime soon. I find it is really easy to land it because most people think you missed with your jab and will move their hand on that side either to throw a jab of their own or to throw a "real" hook. Then I can usually loop it in before their shot lands.

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 8:25pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got his book recently myself, and I have to say I like the simplicity of it. he pretty much doesn't show anything fancy anywhere in the book.

I'm experimenting with the over rotation he uses on the jab and cross, and have had mixed results from it. It brings your shoulder in nice and tight against your chin, but feels awkward and a little over extended. I personally don't think it's really applicable to a pure striking environment.

Having said that, I like some of the aspects of Fedor's striking - particularly the footwork which is well suited to setting up throws like his modified sasae tsurikomi Ashi (Twisting Ankle Prop) from the clinch.

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 9:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    My impression is that Fedor doesn't have a wonderful grasp on striking technique, so he's covered his particular technical failings by altering his technique. How he throws his hook obviously works, and he's a big boy that can hit hard, but it's pretty much definitely not going to have the same power or difficulty to counter/evade as a good, tight hook. How he describes "most MMA fighters" throwing their hooks is just sloppy form, and not at all a good hook. I'd call that a haymaker. Fedor has learned to throw his haymakers more sneakily, but it's still not a fantastic punch.

Same idea with the kick really. I think Fedor has some misconceptions about the "right" way to throw a kick. Also, the idea about spinning around from missing a kick is silly to me. The failure there is not the technique of the kick, it's that you were throwing a kick when you should know better than to even try because you're simply not in range for a good thai kick. Unless someone's being stupid slow, in which case you can do whatever the hell you want, you never want to just wing a hard kick at them from "outside" range. Plus, if you don't have the control to be able to throw a kick where you turn your hips over and not spin around, you're probably not a super great kicker.

Yes, Fedor is bad ass, but his striking technique is pretty blah as far as I'm concerned.
    hmmm, so he KO's Arlovski, which is his 7th KO in MMA, but his striking technique is blah? Arlovski was coached by Freddie Roach ya'know?

The "Russian Hook" is known in boxing circles and not many traditionalists like it. Its alot more effective than you portray it to be, it is extremely potent when done correctly. Its thrown from the hip and you can be flat-footed as you strike, the shoulder comes up and keeping your head down-a counter punch is unlikely (a la Rashad vs Liddel)

I'l post more when I get a chance, I don't mean this to be a complete dismissal of your view -KidSpatula-but I think its worth looking at and is quite dealdly/reliable.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 9:53pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fedor's hook sounds a lot like the corkscrew hook Dempsey describes in his book. Starts out as a jab, then hooks across.

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 10:28pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    Fedor's hook sounds a lot like the corkscrew hook Dempsey describes in his book. Starts out as a jab, then hooks across.
    Slight off topic here, but that's a great book, which for those who are interested, is freely available here: http://www.freecirclefighting.com/jdbook.pdf as it's copyright has expired.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 2:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The proof is in the pudding, y'all.

Keep in mind that after he fought CroCop, Emelianenko looked far worse for the wear. Mirko didn't even look like he'd just spent three rounds with the best. Fedor's never gonna outstrike the strikers (except for AA, and Sylvia, and...), but there really isn't any debate about whether or not his **** works. It very clearly does.

Can anyone else get it to work? Is it viable at higher levels of striking? Them's the kweshchunz.

:)

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 6:31am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The kick thing he said, comes from his experience in being the best mma fighter in the world (commence flaming). I do it sometimes, especially against the chun. If you golf swing your kick, you don't get the same power, but you also retain an easier clinch angle, it still hurts, and in mma, or san shou, not getting caught-and-countered, or caught-and-thrown counts a great deal.

It's not the best kick, but it's almost a free shot, so if a strong guy is landing it, it will add up, and won't provide the same openings for an opponent's counter. We don't see too many people take Fedor down from his kicks these days (years), this, and his preternatural strength have a lot to do with it.

on the punch, I'd say if your build is similar, it's a great punch if you commit to it, and are the shorter opponent. It does fit more into a vale tudo/mma sort of ruleset...or lack of one (insert str33t jk)

If someone's short and strong, I'd say it's one of the best punches in the arsenal. Not that the purists will like it. It's kind of like the overhand...it leaves you open a bit, but does tend to end a lot of fights. Some moves are more daring, but payoff in good numbers.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 9:19am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eastern bloc fighters have always tended to punch like that. So much that it has a name: "Russian hook."

A lot of heavier fighters like it because it's easier for them to generate speed and power. I still feel a properly thrown hook a la Jack Dempsey, is a superior technique, but the Russian hook has its place. Fedor makes it work...
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast