Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 5:41pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are "kettlebell style" dumbell snatches?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 10:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugeisha View Post
    What are "kettlebell style" dumbell snatches?
    I would expect they're just dumbbell snatches, maybe with a bit of a swing at the bottom. Other than that, its a bit difficult to make something "kettlebell style" without kettlebells, since the weight distribution around the handle is quite different. Dumbbells just don't swing the same.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlit Tiger View Post
    All shadowboxing while holding weights is likely to get you is a pair of messed up elbows. This is a pretty bad idea for a few reasons:

- The added weight will increase the likelihood of you hyperextending your elbows. Even if you do not experience a traumatic hyperextension, you may accumulate gradual joint wear-and-tear that could lead to serious injuries.

- The dumbbells will exert their load in the direction of gravity. You're punching in a horizontal plane, while the dumbbells are pulling vertically with gravity. This means the added load of the dumbbells will not properly target the muscles involved in punching while you are standing. It will act on the lateral and anterior fibers of the deltoids in the shoulder much more than the chest muscles or triceps.

If you want to add resistance to your punches, using cables set at shoulder height is a much better option. The resistance provided by the cables will not cause you to injure your joints, and it acts parallel to your line of motion, and thus will activate the muscles involved in punching.

But if you really want to experience proper strength gains, your regimen should involve proper strength training, as Teh El Macho said earlier.
    Shadowboxing with 1lb weights can be productive for
    1) simulating the weight of 16oz sparring gloves
    2) helping you to retract your punches (for some mystical reason)

Cable or power band training helps but its important to remember one thing: you must either stand in your fighting stance as you preform the exercise, or remember that, while your cross uses the bench press muscles, the jab uses the the lateral press muscles.

Don't forget to work the retraction muscles (rows, etc.) as this has a huge impact on your hand speed.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 12:53am

Style: Pancrase

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dog tired is right!
    i just got back into MMA trainning after almost a year off, during which I kept running 10k twice a week, doing HIIT twice a week, swimming, biking and weight training. I even continued to do some box sparring once in a while. even so, this last week has been hell! just basic punching/takedown sparring gets me winded in one round!
    so I would recommend strength trainning and lots and lots of HIIT and cardio circuits (something like Bas Ruten's MMA routine) to prepare.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 9:55am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlit Tiger
    If you're benching, your triceps are probably getting all the attention they need
    Don't skimp on the dips. They're the upper body's squats.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2009 8:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Shadowboxing with 1lb weights can be productive for
    1) simulating the weight of 16oz sparring gloves
    2) helping you to retract your punches (for some mystical reason)

Cable or power band training helps but its important to remember one thing: you must either stand in your fighting stance as you preform the exercise, or remember that, while your cross uses the bench press muscles, the jab uses the the lateral press muscles.

Don't forget to work the retraction muscles (rows, etc.) as this has a huge impact on your hand speed.
    I'm not sure what you mean by lateral press. Do mean like shoulder lateral presses? If you mean a shoulder exercise, keep in mind that the anterior deltoids only assist the pec major in transverse flexion (as seen somewhat during a jab), and aren't exactly a prime mover there.

The jab is thrown differently than the cross, obviously, but it still uses a lot of the same musculature. The elbow is still extending, the shoulder is still protracting. I can see there being slightly more chest muscle involvement in the cross, but I would still say the bench press is a mutually beneficial exercise for both punches.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12