Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 12:23am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just want 2nd opinions if i am doing things okay

So i used to be a highschool athlete, but college came and i packed a gut. now i decided to do something about this and have 3 months to train before i start MMA training in May.

So far i have been training for 1.5 hours every 2 days.

0.5 hours cardio: Jump rope, shadow boxing, running, various other things
    0.5 striking: heavy bag work, punches and kicks just to still retain muscle memory
    0.5 strength training: Shadow boxing with 3lb dumbells, 25 lb dumbell snatches (kettlebell style) and some bicep/tricep curls, and chest exercises.

ideally i want to get into decent fighting shape AKA lose weight, pack some useful muscle and still keep my striking skills good

my main concerns are:
    1) does the order matter ?
    2) am i spending an appropriate time on each field or should i spend more at one and less at the other (totals to 1.5, i have other obligations) ?
    3) did i miss something i could train in ?
    4) is it better to do one thing at a time or mix cardio/striking/strength training into a circuit ?

thanks guys

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/08/2009 12:42am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are unlikely to pack more muscle with that routine of yours.

You are going to get your striking skills back in line once you start training MA, so I'd suggest you concentrate on strength training (use Starting Strength by Rippetoe or StrongLifts 5x5 - see my sig (and use the search function!) for details. Throw some HIIT every now and then to keep your "gas tank" in line.

For losing weight, read the sticky threads.

Or you could stick to what you are doing, which would get you to lose weight (provided you have enough muscle mass). But you won't get a significant amount of additional muscle, if any with that routine (it's very unlikely.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 8:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post
    0.5 striking: heavy bag work, punches and kicks just to still retain muscle memory
    0.5 strength training: Shadow boxing with 3lb dumbells, 25 lb dumbell snatches (kettlebell style) and some bicep/tricep curls, and chest exercises.
    All shadowboxing while holding weights is likely to get you is a pair of messed up elbows. This is a pretty bad idea for a few reasons:

- The added weight will increase the likelihood of you hyperextending your elbows. Even if you do not experience a traumatic hyperextension, you may accumulate gradual joint wear-and-tear that could lead to serious injuries.

- The dumbbells will exert their load in the direction of gravity. You're punching in a horizontal plane, while the dumbbells are pulling vertically with gravity. This means the added load of the dumbbells will not properly target the muscles involved in punching while you are standing. It will act on the lateral and anterior fibers of the deltoids in the shoulder much more than the chest muscles or triceps.

If you want to add resistance to your punches, using cables set at shoulder height is a much better option. The resistance provided by the cables will not cause you to injure your joints, and it acts parallel to your line of motion, and thus will activate the muscles involved in punching.

But if you really want to experience proper strength gains, your regimen should involve proper strength training, as Teh El Macho said earlier.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 9:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to pile on, but...
    -This isn't strength training.
    -When you include a weight in the exercise, it indicates to me that you're not using progressive resistance.
    -I'm not familiar with tricep curls.
    -Chest exercises without back exercises = bad news.

Do you have access to a gym?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 9:05am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.tricepworkout.net/23/exer...cep-curls.html <--- they are stupid and redundant if you are doing bench press.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 9:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    http://www.tricepworkout.net/23/exer...cep-curls.html <--- they are stupid and redundant if you are doing bench press.
    Yep. If you're training for sports, compound lifts are the way to go. If you're benching, your triceps are probably getting all the attention they need. If you want some more, just do close-grip bench presses to move the focus more from the chest muscles to the elbow extensors.

And keep in mind what TheRuss said about doing chest exercises without back exercises. When opposing muscle groups have strength imbalances (like if you have a mad bench press, but can't row a broom handle), it can create some posture problems and lay the foundation for potential injuries, since your chest is capable of handling certain loads, but your back can't keep up.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/24/2009 7:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    <pedant>
    Semantically speaking, the tricep extends (uncurls) the arm, making the name "triceps curl" an oxymoron.

If I'm reading that link correctly, the exercises described there are:
    -dumbbell triceps kickbacks
    -barbell triceps extensions
    -lying barbell triceps extensions aka "skullcrushers"
    -one-arm dumbbell triceps extensions, and
    -lying triceps extensions.
    </pedant>

They're not bad exercises, but they're not very high-priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 9:04am

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you do decide to begin a real strength training program incorporating compound lifts, and not working the same muscles every day. Then I would not do this after cardio and bag work, It should be done on a seperate day or atleast at a different time of day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 10:09am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So i used to be a highschool athlete, but college came and i packed a gut. now i decided to do something about this and have 3 months to train before i start MMA training in May.

So far i have been training for 1.5 hours every 2 days.

ideally i want to get into decent fighting shape AKA lose weight, pack some useful muscle and still keep my striking skills good

my main concerns are:
    2) am i spending an appropriate time on each field or should i spend more at one and less at the other (totals to 1.5, i have other obligations) ?
    4) is it better to do one thing at a time or mix cardio/striking/strength training into a circuit ?

thanks guys
    1) yes it does - you want to do a warmup, then do anything explosive (like striking) first, then do anything that requires large amounts of strength (strength training) and finish up with any cardio type stuff you might do.
    2) I think you are spending an appropriate time on each field. I'd drop the cardio entirely because you are trying to lose weight and cardio won't help you that much.
    3) yes
    4) Depends on what you want. I'd personally do 1 1.5 hour striking session, then 1 1.5 hour weight session the next day, then take a rest day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2009 10:25am

Style: karate and jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    probably. but not as much as some people will make it out.

depends on what needs the most improvement? strength, endurance or technical skills

someone's going to say get a grappling dummy. i've never used one and can't say one way or the other.

personally, i like to focus on two of the three (strength, endurance, tech skill) in any given workout. for example:

cardio & strength training
    cardio & tech skill
    strength training & tech skill

since you want to do mma, i'd pay particular attention to keeping tech skill high when dog tired.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast