Administrator

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 3:10pm

staff
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Women-only open mat, Austin TX 2/8/09

Austin Jiu Jitsu is hosting a women-only open mat (not limited to students of any one school) this Sunday afternoon. Go to www.austinjiujitsu.com for details.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 6:15pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a wholesome activity! Enjoy.

Buy War Bonds.
    Last edited by NJM; 2/06/2009 9:18pm at .

Weak

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 7:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice to see a women's open mat happening...hope you get a good turn out.
    Last edited by Lily; 2/06/2009 9:35pm at . Reason: Thanks to NJM
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 9:17pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, come now. You know I'm just pulling your collective legs.

I like you too. No offense meant =)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 8:43am

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they do standing grappling techniques as well? Also how does it work out? Are they classes or more like free rolling time? How many of the girls there also go to the mixed classes and how well does that work out?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 9:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, the first women-only open mat had very poor turnout, I am told... I was unable to attend due to a rib injury. It is NOT a class, it is meant as a non-school-affiliated open mat. I only know of one women-only jits class in Austin (it's at my school, Relson Gracie, on Tuesday nights) and none of those gals were there, so yes, all the gals at the open mat (as well as virtually all the female grapplers in Austin) attend mixed (I assume you mean coed) classes.

As for standing, at an open mat you're welcome to start matches however you and your training partner wish. I routinely train takedowns and start most of my sparring from standing.

Personally I have no problem with coed classes-- they work out great. It's the women-only classes that are sometimes annoying; too few ladies take it seriously and train regularly enough and hard enough to make the women's class useful for my purposes. It IS nice to slap a triangle on someone with "my" size shoulders though.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 10:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a dress code for this class or is that only for the "mixed" classes?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 10:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The womens' class at Phil's? no dress code for that... in fact, no real dress code for the mixed classes either. I'll qualify: Phil prefers we go in gi (there's a closetful of loaners) ... and I've gotten some **** for just wearing an athletic bra under my gi top (the preference is a tshirt or rashie too)... otherwise, I've seen men and women take class in yoga pants, sweats, shorts and tshirt, etc. Know someone interested in a womens' class? Tell them check us out...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 10:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jitschix View Post
    The womens' class at Phil's? no dress code for that... in fact, no real dress code for the mixed classes either. I'll qualify: Phil prefers we go in gi (there's a closetful of loaners) ... and I've gotten some **** for just wearing an athletic bra under my gi top (the preference is a tshirt or rashie too)... otherwise, I've seen men and women take class in yoga pants, sweats, shorts and tshirt, etc. Know someone interested in a womens' class? Tell them check us out...
    I do and last time I was there I was told it was unacceptable to wear just a sports bra. My friend doesnt even want to deal with that type of backwards mentality so she didnt go(she said it was a symptom of a greater problem that would make her...um lets just say not so nice)

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/26/2009 10:58pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm. I can see why my instructor prefers that women wear a t-shirt or rashie (in the past when I grappled in shorts and sports bra, I HAVE had embarassing moments when things slid further than expected, and I can see that cooler air causes potential distractions.) I personally find the sight of a fit man's chest to be equally (potentially, hypothetically) distracting and no one is making the guys wear shirts... but whatever. I decided the quality of the instruction and the training partners available were worth the sacrifice. I think of myself as an athlete, competitor and fighter and if I need to wear a rashie to be able to be on this team, so be it.

Tell her look for me, I'm virtually always there. I'm the redhead.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast