Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bad Bruising

Hi guys,

I'm 40 years young and train in BJJ and Judo. My problem is that I
    get really bad bruises on my biceps and chest from grappling, is there
    anything I can do to help prevent these bruises?
    And yes I like to go hard with my training, but I know that getting these
    bruises in the same spot every week can't be good for me.......

Cheers,

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 12:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - Ice Ice Baby

Theoretically, there's also dimethyl sulfoxide, but that seems a bit drastic.

You may also benefit from changes to your grappling technique such that you don't wind up in situations where you're getting bruised up as often or for as long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 12:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's wrong with bruises? Exactly how bad are they? How do they affect your functioning, say, the next day? What's your after-workout routine (including diet and sleep and hygiene)?

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 2:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2
    What's wrong with bruises? Exactly how bad are they? How do they affect your functioning, say, the next day? What's your after-workout routine (including diet and sleep and hygiene)?
    Ok maybe I'm a sook but they do look bad, they don't hurt to much and they don't
    affect me going to work the next day. The problem is they never get a chance to
    heal because of my training which puts bruises on top of bruises. My hygiene is fine,
    I shower before and after my training and my gi is always clean.
    My diet and sleep are OK , I'll try the ice after my training.
    My technique could do with some work as I tend to use my strength a bit to much!

Thanks for your help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 4:58am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had that problem when i first started doing BJJ but slowly my body got used to it and i dont bruise that easily anymore.

But every now and then when i take a break from BJJ to concentrate on my stand up and go back to doing BJJ i get bruises on my bicep and chest again till my body gets used to it.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 5:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my old coaches used to swear by Arnica for bruises.
    Witch hazel also has a reputation for reducing bruising.

Plz Note: I don't think either are scientifically proven, but I've been told both work by people I trust. Do your own research regarding potential issues with allergies/reactions etc.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 6:12am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity
    Ok maybe I'm a sook but they do look bad, they don't hurt to much and they don't
    heal because of my training which puts bruises on top of bruises. My hygiene is fine,
    My technique could do with some work as I tend to use my strength a bit to much!

Thanks for your help.
    how new are you to grappling. I used to get badly bruised when I used to spaz out as a newb but it stopped happening as i started relaxing.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 8:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity

Thanks for your help.
    If it doesn't affect you the next day, and they're not that bad, ignore 'em. I get massive black marks under my triceps (karate gi not so ideal for grappling) and bruises on my forearms and shins from sparring. It's just a different attitude towards bruises.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 9:52am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are new to grappling, then this is fairly normal. Your body will toughen up after a period of adjustment. Are we talking about huge bruises or the more common fingertip sized ones?

Also, I might be completely wrong, but my brain whispered, "Check for anemia" when I read your first post. However that's based on a dim memory from a course I took in college a LONG time ago so I could be talking out my ass.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 12:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Also, I might be completely wrong, but my brain whispered, "Check for anemia" when I read your first post. However that's based on a dim memory from a course I took in college a LONG time ago so I could be talking out my ass.
    I got a similar whisper (something about iron levels) when I saw this thread. A quick Google search connects the three - iron deficiency can cause anemia, and anemia can lead to bruising. So yeah, check for that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast