Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 7:12pm

Style: BJJ/ Judo/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rate my School

Everware I go on the net TKD is getting trashed. Alot of people call it a "fact" that TKD cannot defend it's self on the street (beacuse the art it's self {not the form of it} is weak). I hear this also beacuse of the high kicks.... So I am wondering if it is the general TKD that is getting trashed or it is all TKD.

As for me: I'm a 11 year TKD second dan black belt (black belt for 4 years, brand new 2nd Dan BB), that trains in Moo Sul Kwan TaeKwonDo. It takes most people about four years, if you are good, to get to BB, on average about six. For me it took so long beacuse I started when I was six(to young to uderstand how to listen), and I got sick alot so I was not in class alot.

The School: About 180 students to the location I go to (has all the head instructors (2 masters {one brand new}, 2 adult {soon to be three}, then the second dan who teach classes). Classes every day except sunday, that is the day the bb have our unoffical sparring calss, that is all we do for about an hour.

The work out (the real test): Start out with a 15 - 20 minute workout: jumping jacks (about 230 avg a class), leg warm ups, arm warmp ups, pushup's situps' etc. Then Basics (as long as it takes) go thur all the punches, then all the strikes, then all the blocks. Then the three basic kicks: front, round, side (ten each side, so about 30 a night unless we did not kihop(scream) loud or someone is not pushing hard, or we need work on them. Then on to Poomse(form), BB classes we go thru all 8 Taeguk then Koryo, Chungmu, Gaebeck, or Kwangay, TaeBeck. Some night we do the Changhon system. Then how the class varys every night, we may do one-stp sparring, or self defence (we have a couple different, we barrow some hapkiod stuff form our Moo Sul Kwan hapkido brethen), walking drills, sparring (point style for now, BB can do our modifyed Olympic style), advanced kicks, breaking, target kicking, or what ever the class needs to work on. Each class lasts about an hour (if were out on time).
    Every class is done like this, all the instuctors do the same workout. So I could go down the the Rawlins school and have the same work out at my school.

I dont know how the pople who say that TKD is not a self defence art, so if they (or who ever would like to) say why that kind of style of TKD would not work out in a street (or any fight). Thank you for your time.

As for the rest of the TKD world.

High Kicks: They have been called usless. My take on it is this, head on with someone who knows their stuff: probley. But a guy who is injured (maby you knocked the breath out of him, or broke a rib), you could end the fight (and maby the guy) really quickly witha step behind side kick to the face. I live in Colorado and here no place is level. It would make sence for a guy to be on a higher pice of ground/car/table, and have a quick kick to his kneed witch might be my head or neck, I would then need to be able to kick to the head, it's the other guys knee.

Poomse(forms): Many have called this usless, but for me and the people at my school, this is where it all comes togeather. I got to practice all my stance and all my techniques, moving and at full power. I can't do that any where else except in breaking. If you practice it like imagionary opponets are coming at you, then it is really effective learning tool.

Breaking: What is this stuff I see on tv (like ESPN, or the XMA thing on Discovery), where a guy takes about 30seconds to get ready to hit one target? We do it in the way that you set up a couple of targets (4 or 5 depending on your age, under BB break one at a time: works on the technique). We call it continious breaking, you can only take steps twoards your first target. Ex: A step-behind-side kick to a three board target, then land with right foot foward, spinning back kick w/ left foot to target on the side of the side kick target, land reverse knife hand strike to thrid target, etc. It takes about four to five second to break all the boards.

Other Schools: I've heard some nasty roomers that school do Poomse beacuse it takes a long time and the more time the easer it is to suck up mony (It's rumored taht they had a semenar on how to get money out of your students). Or not to practice basice beacuse if you can do a "jump spinning round house" you can do a front kick :( . Or schools that all they do is spar, no poomse, no basice, no self defence, one steps, etc. I dont think that is self defence. Some "3rd Dan BB" walks to me on the street and tells me he is goning to kick my @$$ beacuse reason X. I'm not going to fight by the ITF rules or WTF, I'm goning to nale him in the knee. Then the self control thing, at open trounaments I see it all the time. People loosing it, push their opponet after the stop command has been issued, argue with the judge, etc. This is fricken redicilous. Get some self control, if you can't control your temper how are you going to control your kicks, punches, etc?

//my first post, If I've done anything wrong (wrong form, etc.) please tell me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 7:48pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've done something wrong?

Hell yeah you've done something wrong!! You're too fucking polite. If they don't like your TKD fuckem. Second, if you enjoy whatcha doing fuckem too. Third, unless you've actually done the **** in real life it's all theory so don't spout off like you know it all. Your school is lacking in two areas and yes I'll be so bold as to call it watered down. Besides that if you're having fun who cares.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 7:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    STFU n00b.

Sigh....

Kid, listen.... Have you ever sparred anyone outside of your system under full contact rules?

Ever fought a grappler?

Have you fought in ring against a kickboxer or MT guy under full contact rules?

Have you used your TKD in a "real" fight?

Have you ever done full contact sparring within your own school?

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 7:52pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by blankslate
    STFU n00b.

Sigh....

Kid, listen.... Have you ever sparred anyone outside of your system under full contact rules?

Ever fought a grappler?

Have you fought in ring against a kickboxer or MT guy under full contact rules?

Have you used your TKD in a "real" fight?

Have you ever done full contact sparring within your own school?
    Yeah!:confused:

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 8:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the fact that the school gives out black belts to 11 year olds tells us all we need to know about rating it.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 8:04pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a 11 year TKD second dan black belt
    This is the beginning of the problem. There is an enormous credibility gap in any school that certifies anyone as a high rank if under 17, at least. I can see that age moving down a little for the INCREDIABLY gifted, but still say: no high belts till you can drink legally.

EDIT: Now, since you are apparently 17, I'd say that is begins to be acceptable that you are a black belt, but I still stick to the generally "drinking age" rule.

While I'm sure you've put in the time, just doing something for a number of years dosen't make you good at it; as well, you are far, far too young to be a black belt, let alone a 2nd Dan.

Please note: I'm very, very glad you've posted this here and I hope you intend to stick around to debate.

Now, I had a black belt in TKD myself, which was stripped for non-payment of $1000 for my black belt testing. I have nothing against it as a sport art, but as it is currently taught in 95% of the school in North America, it has no basis as a hard art, or street art. Yes, it is comprehensive fault IN THE ART ITSELF, since the techniques that are heavily relied on in training SIMPLY DO NOT WORK FOR THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO TRAIN.

Sorry to break it to you. High kicks have their place (we train a few) but it's a small place in a high rent district. They are simply not effcient enough for anyone who isn't in peak conditon or a brilliant fighter to pull off. My instructor can do them to me; I have yet to land one on him.

Forms are fine ... I guess. Why not just shadow box? Same benefits, plus.

TKD lacks systematic grappling. Yes, there is some ... but it is seldom taught. You are therefore lacking a crucial range.

Point sparring sucks. No punches to the head sucks. This is NOT fighting.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 8:06pm

supporting member
     Style: SECRET DEADLY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on guys he is eleven,

You arean 11 year old who has been given a 2nd degree BB . Most feel that someone under 16 should not be awarded such a rank. If you enjoy your DOJANG stay. As you get older look into other styles , or look now if you feel you need more skills. At your age you still have a long way to go . Just train harder than anyone else in your class and when doing self defense resist and do not just go with it.
    ----------------------------------------
    After reading Jekyll's threads I bring back an old sig.......

Do you really train or just bore people on message boards and parties talking about it.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 8:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This n00b could be a Bullshido poster child. Maybe we can help him.

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 8:09pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll admit I didn't read his entire post, but I got that he was in TKD for 11 years, and a 2nd dan black belt, not that he was 11.

Unless you guys are just being obtuse on purpose, and it flew over my head.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    1/02/2004 8:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he's 17.
Page 1 of 30 1 234511 ... LastLast