Sponsored Links Spacer Image

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 2:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. Everything hinges on whether (and if so, how quickly) one's hitting deep sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 2:42am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately I lack the facilities to perform the necessary experimentation.>:(

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 7:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's all very interesting. i think i would probably hit delirium if i tried to do this. that and my schedule would never allow me to even try to get adjusted. but, it would be nice to have the extra time.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 3:39pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know someone who did it. He said he could function fine, but got sick easily.

Another issue would be melatonin levels. It's still the subject of research, but lower melatonin levels may have links with increased risk of cancer.

Basically, a few seconds of light will destroy your melatonin level. There is some correlation between industrial societies with electric lighting and higher cancer levels vs. societies without much artificial lighting. Apparently, short wavelengths (more blue end of spectrum) has greater impact than longer wavelengths (more red).
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 4:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    There is some correlation between industrial societies with electric lighting and higher cancer levels vs. societies without much artificial lighting.
    Occam's Razor:
    -The longer you live, the more likely you are to develop cancer.
    -Societies with modern technology have longer lifespans.
    -Electric lighting is a good example of modern technology.
    -Therefore, societies with electric lighting would be expected to have higher rates of cancer.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    russ ftw
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 4:28pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Occam's Razor:
    -The longer you live, the more likely you are to develop cancer.
    -Societies with modern technology have longer lifespans.
    -Electric lighting is a good example of modern technology.
    -Therefore, societies with electric lighting would be expected to have higher rates of cancer.
    I'm pretty sure a real whiz with Excel could deal with that problem.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 5:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Statistical analysis has systematic limitations, and the primary one is that correlation does not imply causality. In this case, I'd be shocked if the correlation didn't actually exist, but to make statements about causality, we'll need more than Excel.

Step 1 (easy): Demonstrate a cause-effect relationship between various sleep patterns and melatonin levels (controlling for everything else). See the link to the growth hormone lab for an example on how to do this.

Step 2 (hard): Demonstrate a cause-effect relationship between melatonin levels and cancer (controlling for everything else). You can probably do this one with mice, but with humans it'd be expensive and unethical.

Alternatively, one could establish a correlation between polyphasic sleep and cancer directly, and given that we know cancer doesn't cause people to start trying to do polyphasic sleep, we can make a statement about the probable direction of causality.

This is where Excel comes in, because we'd need to do regression analysis to control for as many other variables as possible. If correlation between two *other* variables is strong enough (say, being acutely interested in health and trying out polyphasic sleep - is there anyone who's in the latter group but not the former?), it's infeasible to narrow the correlation to one of the two variables.

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 10:33pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    quote:the russ

Did you catch the emphasis on REM sleep in my question?

Aside: I know some people can drop quickly, but given that you're falling asleep at the wheel... that sounds kind of like narcolepsy.

I always thought REM meant the dream stage of sleep. If this isn't the case then whatever- I don't really care enough to find out exactly what it is. I'm just saying i've been able to fall asleep and start dreaming almost instantly. As for narcolepsy, I've just been really tired while driving (dosen't happen now that I don't work long 12 hr shifts) and I live near the beach the drive home is about 30min of boring literally straight driving no turns whatsoever on the road just a straight drive usually on cruise controll at 45 mph (very easy to slip into sleep if you're exhausted).

As for the post I don't think i'd ever try that method of sleeping. It just sounds like trouble and some newer fad at best. But hey if it works for some random guy than good luck.

I've heard of those "badass meditation masters" who can meditate for an hour or so and somehow it magically equals like two hours of sleep. Ultimately these guys supposedly can meditate for 4-5 hours a night and its like a full nights rest without actually going to sleep . Probably BS though, but i'm interested in hearing more about it-still probably just BS as usual.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 11:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy
    I always thought REM meant the dream stage of sleep. If this isn't the case then whatever- I don't really care enough to find out exactly what it is. I'm just saying i've been able to fall asleep and start dreaming almost instantly.
    This really sounds like narcolepsy.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast