Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 9:44pm

Style: mt/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i was in 3rd grade i held my breath and made my face turn red and i passed out in class and woke up like 8 seconds later
    (dont attempt!!!!)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 9:45pm

Style: mt/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol....

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 9:52pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Evidence to support the claim of entering REM sleep "almost immediately", please?
    Yeah, I don't think it's physically possible to do that.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:29pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    REM is the stage of sleep in which the most vivid dreaming occurs. So based on the fact that I almost always have a vivid dream and wake up after 20-25 minutes feeling refreshed, I'm pretty sure I'm entering REM sleep. I also have the testimonial of people who have watched me sleep and can attest to rapid eye movement occuring.
    I generally fall asleep after about 3 minutes, and enter REM about 5 minutes after that, stay there for 20 minutes and wake up just before my alarm goes off.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 11:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Long Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 11:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    REM is the stage of sleep in which the most vivid dreaming occurs. So based on the fact that I almost always have a vivid dream and wake up after 20-25 minutes feeling refreshed, I'm pretty sure I'm entering REM sleep. I also have the testimonial of people who have watched me sleep and can attest to rapid eye movement occuring.
    I generally fall asleep after about 3 minutes, and enter REM about 5 minutes after that, stay there for 20 minutes and wake up just before my alarm goes off.
    I don't mean to be an asshole, but I am, so... yeah, that doesn't really cut it. Not that I'm accusing you of misleading us or arguing that your anecdotal evidence isn't generally applicable, but generally, to characterize transitions between different levels of sleep, you'd need at least an EEG, if not a full polysomnograph.

Also, based on some stuff I learned while reading up on the subject, we're also concerned about slow-wave sleep in addition to REM sleep. For that, you'll definitely need an EEG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 12:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    questions to the OP:

how old are you? my ability to go on lesser amounts of sleep has dropped significantly since i graduated college.
    have you ever had problems when you didn't do this right (any symptoms of delirium)?
    if you slept an hour or longer on one of the sleep times, what effect would that have on your day?
    does your mental clarity change for better or worse while doing this?
    does physical ability change for better or worse for you?
    what warnings would you give to anybody wanting to try this (i'm not going to try it myself)?
    if you ever did experience problems with this sleep pattern, what solutions would you offer for different scenarios?
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 1:26am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 28. The first time I did this I was 22.
    The first time I did it there was a period where I was forced to skip 3 naps in a row. It felt like I had been awake for DAYS and I couldn't really think coherently. That's as close to delirium as I've been.
    On the occasions that something happens and I sleep for an hour or more it usually results in me feeling dragass exhausted for at least 8 hours.
    I always feel that my mental clarity is excellent while I'm polyphasic, it's one of the reasons that I keep going back to it. I'm extremely productive during it and my work quality doesn't decrease (as demonstrated by the posts from the first 2 months of techemperor.com) but my output increases.
    Physically I have to stick to light work for the first few weeks, after that I've done heavy weight lifting, BJJ, etc... and felt strong with it. In fact my recent personal best deadlift was while I was on polyphasic. I have heard that other polyphasic people have noticed they are somewhat more prone to injury when working out, but most of them weren't athletes and had added working out to their routine after they became polyphasic in order to fill the time.
    For anyone wanting to try it DEFINITELY DO NOT DRIVE during the first 3 weeks or so. Sitting in a car and trying to concentrate while you are still adjusting to this routine is a recipe for disaster. NO DRIVING while you adjust. Also, you'll require roughly 30% more food doing this. I have to eat 2 snacks and a "lunch" at night to keep me going.

To maintain the sleep pattern have a GOOD alarm that is easy to set. I like my iphone this time around, I can set 12 alarms, one that is a gentle beeping to tell me it's nap time, and one that is strident to make sure I wake up.
    You also have to be STRICT about your nap schedule at first. Definitely for a couple of months be brutally strict about when you take your naps. Don't let anyone interfere with them. After that you can move them around a little and even skip one sometimes, but if you skip more than one you are likely to crash, sleep 15 hours, and have to take 2-3 days readjusting to the schedule.
    One of the more famous recent examples of Polyphasic sleep is Steve Pavlina. He did it for over a year and blogged most of it. So you can read more about the effects he noticed over at his blog... http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/200...yphasic-sleep/
    I've got a job that lets me maintain the schedule and I've crafted it around my other activities, so I plan on staying on it for the long haul. I'll be happy to post occasional updates and answer any questions.

TheRuss:
    Agreed, I have no scientific proof to say that I am definitely entering REM sleep, but I exhibit all of the symptoms of REM sleep, which is about the best I can hope for absent a sleep study lab.
    I've read a couple of studies that claim that peoples cognitive function is completely trashed by polyphasic sleep patterns, but my job relies on cognitive function and I'm extremely good at it. I've never noticed any drop in cognitive or problem solving ability and none of my co-workers have ever commented on it.

Edit: One last thing, the alarm clock is only necessary for the first few weeks, after that I almost always wake up about 2 minutes before the alarm goes off. I keep them set just to make sure I do wake up. But I almost never need them after the first few weeks.

Edit again: A post TheRuss made on a different thread reminded me, You CAN NOT have caffeine while doing this. It makes it fucking impossible to fall asleep reliably and wake up rested.
    Last edited by Kintanon; 2/06/2009 1:34am at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 1:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    I've read a couple of studies that claim that peoples cognitive function is completely trashed by polyphasic sleep patterns, but my job relies on cognitive function and I'm extremely good at it. I've never noticed any drop in cognitive or problem solving ability and none of my co-workers have ever commented on it.
    I'm also curious about the effect it would have on growth hormone secretion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 2:14am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would be interesting to know. It looks like there is a possibility that it encourages aditional growth hormone secretion based on that study, but the sleep periods might be too short, which might mean growth hormone secretion is stunted or even prevented alltogether, which would be not good....
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast