Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 11:34am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I just love watching Bonnar get his ass kicked....
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 12:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    Gordeau's main style was Savate (hence the foot break). He also trained in Muay Thai and Kyokushin.
    No, Gordeau's main style was douchebag.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 12:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    No, Gordeau's main style was douchebag.
    Gordeau's 'No Rules' credentials involve eye-gouging 154 pound Yuki Nakai half-blind in clear, repeated and brutal violation of one of approximately three rules in the event in which it occurred and then getting himself leg locked and losing the fight anyway. He also tried to bite Royce.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yuki Nakai, on the other hand, can be seen yelling "RICKSON, YOU'RE NEXT" in Choke just after being permanently half-blinded.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 1:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    Yuki Nakai, on the other hand, can be seen yelling "RICKSON, YOU'RE NEXT" in Choke just after being permanently half-blinded.
    If you watch their match you can see that Nakai's eye is clearly fucked, it's obvious he's totally blind on that side.

And it's also obvious that Rickson knew this and refrained from striking or otherwise taking advantage of the situation in any way. Instead he turned it into purely a grappling match, so his opponent wasn't really at any disadvantage (apart from being in a grappling match with Rickson Gracie, obviously).

Too many people concentrate on being great fighters, but forget how to be be great sportsmen along the way. This reminded me that there are still some people who will strive to be both, and hence began my ride on Rickson's nuts, which hasn't ended to this day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 2:49pm

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    Gordeau's main style was Savate (hence the foot break). He also trained in Muay Thai and Kyokushin.
    Gordeau was a kyokushin karate guy first and foremost. Actually he was temporarily fighting under the flag of world oyama karate at the time, but its a kyokushin offshot. He quit kyokushin and joined world oyama because of kyokushins stupid "no pro fighting" rule, about a year before. Nowdays he is back in kyokushin and heads one of the minor kyokushin organizations. In his gym he teach kyokushin and kickboxing.

He had no basically training in savate, but still entered fights and won titles. Any thaiboxing he had done was very VERY minimal.
    He is quite proud to have done it with only kyokushin training.

The only reason he was listed as savate in ufc1 was that he was a late substitute fighter (he was told he was in the tournament only a day or two before the fight) and they already had guys fighting as "karate fighters".

And Yes. Gordeau was also infamous for his dirty fighting. He was well known for it even when he was still a full time knockdown karate fighter. One of my teachers fought him several times in kyokushin tournaments, and has little good to say about him except that he was tough and skilled.
    Last edited by kolsyrade; 2/05/2009 2:54pm at .

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too many people concentrate on being great fighters, but forget how to be be great sportsmen along the way. This reminded me that there are still some people who will strive to be both, and hence began my ride on Rickson's nuts, which hasn't ended to this day.
    Yeah, I wasn't trying to take anything away from Rickson. It's just that that particular scene left a big impression on me on what it means to be a real badass when I was younger.
    Last edited by hpr; 2/05/2009 3:21pm at .
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 2:59pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you watch their match you can see that Nakai's eye is clearly fucked, it's obvious he's totally blind on that side.

And it's also obvious that Rickson knew this and refrained from striking or otherwise taking advantage of the situation in any way. Instead he turned it into purely a grappling match, so his opponent wasn't really at any disadvantage (apart from being in a grappling match with Rickson Gracie, obviously).

Nakai's attitude was one of the things that inspired me when I first started getting into bjj. I was very glad to see Rickson not take advantage of the fact he was basically blind.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 3:25pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbemi
    Thanks,
    Not trying to prove anything. Just trying to get a more precise outlook on how Krotty did when there were almost no rules. My sensei gave me the fight vs sport arguement the other day. I'm not a big enuogh d-bag to argue with him about it. But i am not opposed to wasting some time on a personal project I alredy know the results of. Just looking for some hard numbers and percentages as opposed to generalizations.

For example, the only karateka with a win in UFC 1 was a Kyokushin guy. (Gordeau). The other two guys that listed karate as their style lost.

I will repeat for 2-4 to get a better idea. I chose 4 as the last one because one guy competed under the specific style Shorin Ryu. (won against capoiera, lost against wrestlign).
    Man

I hate the world.

"Training hard and learning as much material as you can? That's silly. You might as well take it easy because of ball kicks and thumbs to the eye"

ALL this ever means is "I don't want to start over as a beginner in a grappling class, I like my black belt too much"

Even otherwise very good dudes can fall prey to this and it sucks.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast