Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 8:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI_GUY_1
    No water is retarded. If you are thirsty, get a drink. My bottle is always on the edge of the mat and I frequently take sips in class. Just don't make it an excuse to sit out of class and hang out on the sides.

you are a grown ass man! You want watr? Get water. If an instructor has a problem with it, explain to him nicely how the policy is retarded, then continue to drink your water.
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    Just going to make this point... you are the customer. You are paying to be taught BJJ. That is all. Remember that.
    ^^^ Quoted for truth ^^^

Seriously man, what the ****. Even in a regular class, I drink when I want/need to. Let alone in the middle of summer.

This to me indicates gross inadequacy of the instructor. Different individuals have different needs, capabilities etc. An inflexible policy like that is fucking stupid. Why should anyone in the class give a damn if you drink water and they don't? You are there for your goals, they are there for theirs. Sometimes people need to sit out for injury, and others for cardiovascular problems, or the fact they simply aren't in as good shape. I've sat out of entire workouts before because I have my own independant exercise. Sounds like a pretty gay class.

**** I hate jazzercize in general anyway. **** pushups/situps/running. I can do that **** for free in my spare time. Teach me jiujitsu, its what I'm paying for.

If you're looking for a good class, check out the north sydney PCYC machado class run by Darko. Cool guy, mainly into wrestling and less of the conditioning nonsense. Lots of cool guys there both at the PCYC and in the jiujitsu class with really good personal training experience and expertice, including powerlifters, triathletes etc. And he would encourage us to drink water, especially in the hot summer.

Other alternatives are boxingworks in the CBD, I think theres some weird ass MMA school in chinatown too (jin wu koon?), theres a school in rhodes, pyrmont fighting arts, lions den academy, sinosic perosh (concord) - fucking heaps of options.

If you don't like the class, look around.
    "It has often been said that power corrupts. But it is perhaps equally important to realize that weakness, too, corrupts. Power corrupts the few, while weakness corrupts the many. Hatred, malice, rudeness, intolerance, and suspicion are the faults of weakness." - Eric Hoffer

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 9:21pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would second Boxing Works - That's Larry Papadopoulos' gym - he's with a Nova Uniao under John Donehue, and is a legend of the sport. He's fought Akihiro Gono, Ken Shamrock, and Vernon White, and he choked George Sotiropoulos unconscious in a grappling tournament once.

Really nice guy too, and apparently he told me he lurks on Bullshido from time to time when I visited his gym in Sydney for a mini TD a couple years back.

If I was looking for a school in Sydney, I'd gravitate towards Boxing Works or Sinosic/Persosh Martial Arts Academy. ROOTS BJJ is pretty competitive on the tournament scene too, but I don't know anyone from there. Prof Guimares has a massive reputation as an awesome instructor though.

Anyway, there are plenty of other great schools around too, as Arhetton mentioned.

Alternatively do judo. It's cheap, awesome (lots of good judo guys in Sydney), and very compatible with BJJ.

~my $0.02
    Last edited by Deadmeat; 2/05/2009 9:26pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ / Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat
    I would second Boxing Works - That's Larry Papadopoulos' gym - he's with a Nova Uniao under John Donehue, and is a legend of the sport. He's fought Akihiro Gono, Ken Shamrock, and Vernon White, and he choked George Sotiropoulos unconscious in a grappling tournament once.

Really nice guy too, and apparently he told me he lurks on Bullshido from time to time when I visited his gym in Sydney for a mini TD a couple years back.

If I was looking for a school in Sydney, I'd gravitate towards Boxing Works or Sinosic/Persosh Martial Arts Academy. ROOTS BJJ is pretty competitive on the tournament scene too, but I don't know anyone from there. Prof Guimares has a massive reputation as an awesome instructor though.

Anyway, there are plenty of other great schools around too, as Arhetton mentioned.

Alternatively do judo. It's cheap, awesome (lots of good judo guys in Sydney), and very compatible with BJJ.

~my $0.02
    Funny you mention ROOTS, it's exactly where this happened.
    I've already forked out half a grand, there's not much point backing out of it now.
    I just got back from training actually, I'm hell tired atm. Will reply to more later.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:49pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Romp
    Funny you mention ROOTS, it's exactly where this happened.
    I've already forked out half a grand, there's not much point backing out of it now.
    I just got back from training actually, I'm hell tired atm. Will reply to more later.
    I figured that when you said Bondi, but as you can see I don't have much to contribute about that particular school except that they are known to produce some good grapplers, and I've never heard of them restricting access to water for their students.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like a blue belt that is full of himself.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 11:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    It sounds like a blue belt that is full of himself.

I've sent an anonymous email to Prof, Paulo and explained pretty much what's been said.
    I've explained to him that I need water to train, and that when I am feeling dehydrated I can not take in the information I am given and am not able to focus. I've also explained as a result of this I am not learning BJJ as well as I could be. I was very, very careful How I worded this email as I really do not want to start any trouble and burn my bridges.

Will be interesting to see the reply.
    Bare in mind he's still not even seen me yet, or been in to a single class.
    I really don't want to train with a blue belt - I'm seriously not paying for that.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 11:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've sent an anonymous email to Prof, Paulo and explained pretty much what's been said.
    I've explained to him that I need water to train, and that when I am feeling dehydrated I can not take in the information I am given and am not able to focus. I've also explained as a result of this I am not learning BJJ as well as I could be. I was very, very careful How I worded this email as I really do not want to start any trouble and burn my bridges.

Will be interesting to see the reply.
    Bare in mind he's still not even seen me yet, or been in to a single class.
    I really don't want to train with a blue belt - I'm seriously not paying for that.
    Anonymous.

After complaining to the Blue Belt.

Starting this thread.

Then naming the school.

All of which you virtually indentified yourself as the new student who was signed up by the Blue Belt and just quit smoking and wanted the water break.

Anonymous.

L-O-L

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 12:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hope that works out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 3:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    Anonymous.

After complaining to the Blue Belt.

Starting this thread.

Then naming the school.

All of which you virtually indentified yourself as the new student who was signed up by the Blue Belt and just quit smoking and wanted the water break.

Anonymous.

L-O-L
    Hey fucktard, here's the bite you've been so patiently waiting for over the last few times you've attempted/failed to troll this thread. I'll be the first to dignify your dribble with a response.
    What exactly is your complication?

Weak

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 3:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Snake has Downs' Syndrome, please excuse him.

Back on topic, no need for an anonymous email, you have the right to not be villified for simply stating that you were not happy with the way things were run. In MA I find its better to be upfront, no need to hide your identity with a potential instructor etc. But anyway, hope you keep at it and summer will at least be over soon!
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast