Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 3:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ / Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    Okay. I want to make sure I understand this before I say anything.

The Blue belt idiot and a random Brown belt said no water?
    Correct.

The owner/instructor also agreed?
    Incorrect, the professor was not present at any point.

Have you talked to the owner/main instructor?
    That will be today.

Of course, don't send him the thread.
    You're right, that's probably a bad idea :P

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try training at MrBadGuy's old gym where the puddles of sweat sat glistening, awaiting your parched tongue.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 3:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take this as a learning lessons. If something like this happens say okay and get your drink. Then talk to the instructor in a calm manner.

Right now, you have two people basically against you before you have the important discussion.

Remember, you know your body so, if you have to get a drink you do it. All they can do is ask you to leave.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 4:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Romp
    I did handle it well to begin with. I will always leave my attitude at home.
    You didn't, and you didn't, and I don't think you've grasped what the "attitude" you need to discard is.

Picture yourself running a marathon that you've been working towards for ages. You're in first place by a hair, you're feeling solid, the finish line is in sight, and then, out of nowhere, some asshole in the crowd calls you a ****.

Do you stop running and beat him up? **** no. You finish the race. If you get distracted from the task at hand, you lose.

Specifically, look at stuff like this:

You are right in one context, I got lippy with him. But he knew what he was doing, he was looking at me in a really competitive way (that sounds moronic, but there's no other way I can tell you - it was his attitude, you had to be there) and he was well aware that I was seriously needing some hydration.
    You just let the asshole in the blue belt stop you from reaching your goals.

Your goal is to train BJJ without hurting your health.
    To reach this goal, you need to stay hydrated in class.
    To stay hydrated in class, you need the permission of someone in charge.

As such, one of your goals is to obtain the permission of someone in charge to stay hydrated in class.

The blue belt pissed you off.
    You got mad at him.
    Rather than sticking to the task at hand - persuading him that you should be allowed to stay hydrated during class, you allowed the situation to degenerate into a pissing contest.

"But Russ, it was his fault! He's an asshole!"

It doesn't matter. All that matters is accomplishing your goal. Do what it takes to get permission to stay hydrated during class, and don't do anything to jeopardize that goal.

---

Before you go and talk to the instructor, meditate on this.
    Remind yourself that your purpose in talking to him is to gain permission to hydrate during class.
    It is not to vent.
    It is not to get the blue belt in trouble or make him look bad.
    It is not to challenge the way the instructor runs his school.

Stay on track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 4:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    You didn't, and you didn't, and I don't think you've grasped what the "attitude" you need to discard is.

Picture yourself running a marathon that you've been working towards for ages. You're in first place by a hair, you're feeling solid, the finish line is in sight, and then, out of nowhere, some asshole in the crowd calls you a ****.

Do you stop running and beat him up? **** no. You finish the race. If you get distracted from the task at hand, you lose.

Specifically, look at stuff like this:

You just let the asshole in the blue belt stop you from reaching your goals.

Your goal is to train BJJ without hurting your health.
    To reach this goal, you need to stay hydrated in class.
    To stay hydrated in class, you need the permission of someone in charge.

As such, one of your goals is to obtain the permission of someone in charge to stay hydrated in class.

The blue belt pissed you off.
    You got mad at him.
    Rather than sticking to the task at hand - persuading him that you should be allowed to stay hydrated during class, you allowed the situation to degenerate into a pissing contest.

"But Russ, it was his fault! He's an asshole!"

It doesn't matter. All that matters is accomplishing your goal. Do what it takes to get permission to stay hydrated during class, and don't do anything to jeopardize that goal.

---

Before you go and talk to the instructor, meditate on this.
    Remind yourself that your purpose in talking to him is to gain permission to hydrate during class.
    It is not to vent.
    It is not to get the blue belt in trouble or make him look bad.
    It is not to challenge the way the instructor runs his school.

Stay on track.
    I can't disagree with anything you said. But like most things, in practice things don't always come out that way. It's easy for me to tell someone how to socially convey their attitude in a positive way that is both constructive towards themselves and their surroundings - but I can not prepare them for the situations which may arise between their goal and reality.

Again though, you are right. And I may just take a few berries of advice from that segment and approach the professor (hoping he is there) today.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 4:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In BJJ is there a sub called "Baby Wants His Bottle"?

If not, I look forward to the thread created tomorrow about this new sub sweeping Australia.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 4:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take this as a learning lessons. If something like this happens say okay and get your drink. Then talk to the instructor in a calm manner.

Right now, you have two people basically against you before you have the important discussion.

Remember, you know your body so, if you have to get a drink you do it. All they can do is ask you to leave.
    Yep, I intend to do that today :)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 4:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    There's always one of these "Im the only/baddest-ass blue belt on the planet" douchebags at every BJJ school.

The Russians are crazy with no water during training, you can condition for it but I wonder how your kidneys will fare in the end...try to water up as much as you can in the hours before training.

Also, I love that there's a burb outside Sydney called "Manly". Fucking Australia!

Bwahaha. I lived in Manly for many years. Awesome place when you love the beach and can put with raging, drunken, slurring pommies.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 5:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't disagree with anything you said. But like most things, in practice things don't always come out that way. It's easy for me to tell someone how to socially convey their attitude in a positive way that is both constructive towards themselves and their surroundings -
    Sure is.

but I can not prepare them for the situations which may arise between their goal and reality.
    That is exactly what he is doing preparing you. It is your choice to not reach the goal.

It is how you react, when properly prepared during the specific situation, where you see the results.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 5:39pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just going to make this point... you are the customer. You are paying to be taught BJJ. That is all. Remember that.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast