Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 9:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are told to take small sips to keep the air passage wet for proper breathing, but not to gulp because it can make you sick

Which I find is true

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, a HS football coach is currently being sued the **** out when one of his teenagers died of heat stroke. Any MA instructor or assistant instructor should keep that in mind if they have teh l33t harc0r3 habit of denying students to drink water.

Having said that, and not that I'm suggesting this was the OP's situation, one could understand instructors giving water breaks at specific intervals (say every 15-20 minutes) instead of letting students getting in and out of the mat for a water break (the later being disruptive.)

A good training environment will accommodate a balanced situation for both instructors and students.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One odd point was the Russians are fine with drinking tea (or hot water), I've never gotten a straight answer on exactly why, but that's nothing new with the Ruskies...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:59am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP:

I took a case of heat stroke at a 5 hour MA course once, lack of conditioning (too busy instructing), no air conditioner, few water breaks ect...It affected everything for a good year after, including my job, memory, training. Don't let that be you, get some sports articles on this, especially in your climate.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 11:22am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Romp
    No, the professor was not there today. Just the blue belt and another brown belt but he did not really hear the conversation take place as he was drilling on the other side of the room with his own dudes.
    Okay. I want to make sure I understand this before I say anything.

The Blue belt idiot and a random Brown belt said no water?
    The owner/instructor also agreed?
    Have you talked to the owner/main instructor?

Of course, don't send him the thread.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 12:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, review this thread.

Second, it sounds like there are four people involved here:
    -You
    -Blue belt
    -Brown belt
    -Instructor

It sounds like you've really handled things poorly with the blue belt - getting pissy is not an effective mode of persuasion. If you think you can salvage the situation, go for it, but I think it's a lost cause.

The brown belt has apparently sided with the blue belt, so that's not promising either.

That leaves the instructor, who's probably the guy you should have been discussing this with all along. Leave your attitude at home, put on your winningest smile, and have a polite and friendly chat with him. Be clear that you're only worried about staying hydrated, and aren't trying to sneak extra rest.

-If the no-water thing is school policy, let him know you're medically unable to continue training there, get a refund, and find a new school.
    -If he leaves it up to the people he's placed in charge of individual classes, ask him about transferring to a different class. Finding one that fits your schedule is your problem, not his. If it isn't an option, see previous point.
    -If he agrees with you, ensure he lets the people he's placed in charge of your classes know that. Then bring a water bottle to class, and set a good example in when and how you drink from it. Prove that it doesn't need to be disruptive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 2:49pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met my instructor from 12 years ago, who is not my instructor anymore, when I visited his school. I saw him give students a water break. I asked him why did he not give us break back then. He said "research" said back then that it was bad and now it's good. Homeboy doesn't read any "research". Probably some magazine, but overall instructors now don't stop you from drinking water, and if they do- print some "research" for them and let them read it.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 3:12pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're older then most people there? Tell them you have a kidney thing or something and explain to them politely that you don't want a gallon of water or a ten minute break but you just can't wait that long before replacing some of what you're sweating out.

We do two hard hours a night, and most of us drink about half of a 20 oz bottle during class. I can't honestly say that the 10 ozs of water is medically needed, but it certainly seems to help to take a few gulps at opportune times

also, I personally just cannot stick my mouthpiece behind my ear so I put it on the neck of my waterbottle.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 3:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ / Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    First, review this thread.

Second, it sounds like there are four people involved here:
    -You
    -Blue belt
    -Brown belt
    -Instructor

It sounds like you've really handled things poorly with the blue belt - getting pissy is not an effective mode of persuasion. If you think you can salvage the situation, go for it, but I think it's a lost cause.

The brown belt has apparently sided with the blue belt, so that's not promising either.

That leaves the instructor, who's probably the guy you should have been discussing this with all along. Leave your attitude at home, put on your winningest smile, and have a polite and friendly chat with him. Be clear that you're only worried about staying hydrated, and aren't trying to sneak extra rest.

-If the no-water thing is school policy, let him know you're medically unable to continue training there, get a refund, and find a new school.
    -If he leaves it up to the people he's placed in charge of individual classes, ask him about transferring to a different class. Finding one that fits your schedule is your problem, not his. If it isn't an option, see previous point.
    -If he agrees with you, ensure he lets the people he's placed in charge of your classes know that. Then bring a water bottle to class, and set a good example in when and how you drink from it. Prove that it doesn't need to be disruptive.
    Interesting conclusions, a few poorly drawn - but mostly constructive. Let me fill you in.

The Professor was never @ the gym. When I arrived for my first time, it was the blue belt who did the admin work for me signing up and 1 other person in the gym. It was dead because of the heat ( a joke he cracked "Somebody must of said I was training today".
    When the training ensued, I did make a point of telling him I was under a bit of stress from quitting smoking and have a pulled calf muscle from the beach a few days prior. He shrugged it off and said "We'll just do a very light few stretches today" - of course, what he put me through after that was supposed to prove a point. And to be fair, I really don't care if I'm pushed to my physical extreme - all I wanted was some fucking water.

You are right in one context, I got lippy with him. But he knew what he was doing, he was looking at me in a really competitive way (that sounds moronic, but there's no other way I can tell you - it was his attitude, you had to be there) and he was well aware that I was seriously needing some hydration. A brown belt arrived to the gym approx an hour after we commenced training and starting rolling with some of the other guys that had since come in but for whatever reason did not part take in this blue belts drills. I asked the brown belt for water (this guy was actually cool though, not a complete wank) and he laughed and said "Naw mate, can't do it.. you need to wait untill training is over - it's an endurance thing and we need you focused.

So yea, when he said this I learnt that it was not just the blue belt being a complete wank (which he chose to be) but some kind of policy. The blue belt took issue with the fact that I had piercings, the fact that I'd done BJJ in a prior gym without wanting to mention who (I said "Eh, it was years ago, not up for discussion - I said this in a very nice way) and a few others things. Look :

I did handle it well to begin with. I will always leave my attitude at home. In the past - I've excelled beyond my peers for being the guy that always has done this - I am *normally* the guy that has no ego what.so.ever in the gym. Yesterday was a special set of freak circumstances on a first.day.trial at a gym I'd already paid to be a part of. This guy was a complete jerk and I can tell you now that there is a good chance had of it been *you* in my shoes you'd of done some pretty horrible things with his features.

Today is a new day. I'm going back in there. God I hope he isn't.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 3:38pm

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are just coming back into to training do the best you can. A lot of times what the instructor wants to see is that you are willing to push yourself beyond your previous limits. At 55 I will sometimes go at a slower pace than the young studs but I aim to go for the same amount of time. If you need a drink or a rest, than do it as unobtrusively as possible, when done jump back in and get working.

From what I have read I'm not sure if you the instructors reaction might not be in part by the way you went about requesting the drink. He may have thought you were disrupting the class or he may have thought you were just pussing out and didn't want to try hard. Or he just might be a dickhead. Hard to tell.

If you want to train there, talk to him (the blue belt), tell him you are sorry if you disrupted the class and ask how you can handle this in the future. Remind him you are new and your goal is to build up to a better level of conditioning. Hopefully this will defuse things.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast