Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 5:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ / Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Good luck at the training, it has been so freaking hot in Sydney lately no instructor should be denying their adult students a quick drink of water. Even if you can have a chat to the instructor before class and mention that you're just getting back into training and hopes he doesn't mind if you have a quick drinks break between rounds etc.

Not the place I mentioned but are you competing or just going to support your club members?
    Thanks !

Sydney is looking at 41c over the next few days - that's going to be a killer.
    The main issue is finding a way to bring it up. They are just going to tell me to **** off.
    The issue there is.. I can't say anything back. This Gym does extremely well at all the comps and produces some of the highest (in my opinion) caliber grapplers in the area.

Also, and as I mentioned previously, the head professor is awesome and if anything I'll just find a way to know when he is or isn't training. I won't turn up if he's not (is that a shitty attitude?).

Weak

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 6:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you think there is any way of redeeming the situation with the instructor who told you that you couldn't get a drink? That would be the best solution.

Its not a shitty attitude but relying on the head prof being there is going to make it difficult for you to train properly, you're not going to be in the right mindset when you get there etc. That really is no way to welcome a new member to the club and is pretty crap. Maybe he was just having a bad day?
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 6:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    Do you think there is any way of redeeming the situation with the instructor who told you that you couldn't get a drink? That would be the best solution.
    Agreeing with Lily (much to my chagrin).
    Maybe say hi to the guy before next class and ask him when it would be appropriate to grab a sip of water, or where it's best to put your water bottle.

Or, if you're really sneaky (or the guy still won't budge), ask if it's ok to make notes to help you remember and leave your bottle near the book you write in (this obviously won't help during the conditioning section, but will during drills and instruction).
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 6:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Agreeing with Lily (much to my chagrin).
    Maybe say hi to the guy before next class and ask him when it would be appropriate to grab a sip of water, or where it's best to put your water bottle.

Or, if you're really sneaky (or the guy still won't budge), ask if it's ok to make notes to help you remember and leave your bottle near the book you write in (this obviously won't help during the conditioning section, but will during drills and instruction).
    The problem is I asked him that today, and he said "We will never let you get water during our sessions, you need to wait until training is over. There was no 2 ways about it as I was very blunt and angry and asked all those questions.

I ended up saying "So I just drink nothing and fucking dehydrate" and he said "Ye, if it comes to that - you can not drink during training, end of story".

Breathtakingly, the brown belt agreed with it later on during the session.

Not sure what I should do. All I can do is get used to dehydrating or not do BJJ at all.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 6:45am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was the blue belt saying that or the professor?

May be worth while politely pointing out the legal ramifications that such an attitude could conceivably lead to, e.g. being sued for wilful negligence or at an extreme, criminal proceedings... (that is if Aussie laws follows the lines of UK law in this area!)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 6:59am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    That was the blue belt saying that or the professor?

May be worth while politely pointing out the legal ramifications that such an attitude could conceivably lead to, e.g. being sued for wilful negligence or at an extreme, criminal proceedings... (that is if Aussie laws follows the lines of UK law in this area!)

No, the professor was not there today. Just the blue belt and another brown belt but he did not really hear the conversation take place as he was drilling on the other side of the room with his own dudes.

I can't bring up the legal ramifications or anything like that or I'll just be making drama.
    I guess in retrospect there's really nothing I can do without coming across like a little fairy crying over nothing. Furthermore, I'll be hated.

I'm screwed.
    Tomorrow it is forecast to be 44c and a heatwave - if I'm denied water I'm going to call the 400$ on the gi/registration/month a loss and walk away.
    Last edited by Romp; 2/05/2009 7:01am at .

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 7:02am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I've found the solution to all your problems!!!

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 7:26am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Romp
    No, the professor was not there today. Just the blue belt and another brown belt but he did not really hear the conversation take place as he was drilling on the other side of the room with his own dudes.

I can't bring up the legal ramifications or anything like that or I'll just be making drama.
    I guess in retrospect there's really nothing I can do without coming across like a little fairy crying over nothing. Furthermore, I'll be hated.

I'm screwed.
    Tomorrow it is forecast to be 44c and a heatwave - if I'm denied water I'm going to call the 400$ on the gi/registration/month a loss and walk away.
    If you walk away because of this **** them over with consumer rights, Aussie consumer rights are better thqan UK ones, you will get your money back at least.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 7:30am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's crazy. At our club, the coach regulates when we can get a drink - i.e. no breaking in the middle of a drill to get a sip of water, but no drinking at all for a session is insane.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 8:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's always one of these "Im the only/baddest-ass blue belt on the planet" douchebags at every BJJ school.

The Russians are crazy with no water during training, you can condition for it but I wonder how your kidneys will fare in the end...try to water up as much as you can in the hours before training.

Also, I love that there's a burb outside Sydney called "Manly". Fucking Australia!
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast