Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 12:20am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

$75 pistol test

I recently had the chance to pick up from a knock of of a Tokarev TT-33 made in China by a company called Norinco. It is a model 213 Norinco and it is chambered in 9mm luger instead of the original 7.62x25mm. So it is less of a collectors item then those chambered in the Russian caliber. I bought it from my buddy for what he paid for it in 1990; $75. So I would not call it a major purchase. I wanted to know what a $75 pistol shot like so I trundled out to the range and was pleasantly surprised. So surprised in fact that after all my ranting and raving my friend offered to sell it to me for what he paid for it. I figured it might be a good concealed pistol so I ported and polished the barrel so it would feed hollow points and purchased some new magazines from Natchez for $15 each. A reasonable price since the gun was so cheap.
    For the price I paid I wanted to do a test. I figured that the Tokarev was one tenth the price of my Sig 220. Was the Sig worth the money? So I took three pistols out to shoot to compare the results. One was the Tokarev one was my Sig and the third was my Ruger revolver as a control. All targets were shot at a medium speed and single action since the Tokarev is single action only. The distance was about 21 feet and I was standing up rather then sitting at a bench. Definitely not target shooting but still not double tapping or shooting as fast as possible.
    Here are the three pistols used in the test.

The first thing I shot was the Tokarev you can see the results below

The second was the Sig 220

The Third was the Ruger

Last I shot 2 clips at rapid fire with just for the fun of it all.

The results as you can see above are pretty telling. The $75 Norinco was pretty damn accurate considering the price. The Sig did about as I would expect it is my primary target pistol and it has a reputation of being very accurate. After all the autos I was a bit off when I picked up the revolver, I usually shoot much better with it then I do anything else. All things considered I would recommend if you like to shoot to pick a Norinco 213 up. They are really pleasant to shoot due to the mild recoil from the 9mm and very accurate. I plane to have mine parkerized to give it a bit nicer finish. I am not sure I would carry it as a CCW gun since the safety on the side is a bit awkward. However it is nice and thin and would make a good CCW gun with practice of the safety.
    Would I trade my Sig for it? Not a chance the Sig still is a better fit for my hand and has a better “point” to it. I also find the sights on the Tokarev a bit too small.
    Last edited by Planktime; 2/05/2009 12:22am at .

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 12:26am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've considered getting one of those several times, actually in 7.62x25. Didn't know they made it in 9x19. That's even nicer.

Good to have around as a backup or "boat gun" you wouldn't mind dropping overboard when fishing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 2:47pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even though people tend to associate Chinese guns with the word "cheap," the Norinco's are actually very, very good, and at a really low price.

Some of their 1911's are exceptionally well-made, and are great platforms for customization. If anything, I put their 1911 well ahead of Taurus' attempt at making a 1911, for certain, especially since they're about 200 bucks less and shoot better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:38pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does Norinco make cheap revolvers?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 11:45am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Lamb
    Does Norinco make cheap revolvers?
    Not that I am aware of the other issue is that our friends in the Clinton administration banned the import of all "non-sporting" small arms from China. <politics> They figured it would stem the huge flood of 711 roberies committed with and AK-47. </politics>

Sorry for the politics everybody.

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 2:13pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That Tokarev is awesome. Where'd you find it?

Just bought my Glock on Monday. I figured it'd be good for scaring Steelers' fans.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 3:20pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those are going for $200-300 on Gunbroker. That's a great deal you got.

(Let me know where I can get one for the same please).

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/07/2009 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would you want it in anything but 7.62x25? It's a classic cartridge, and it performs well against armor for what it is.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    2/07/2009 1:19pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chemistry
    Even though people tend to associate Chinese guns with the word "cheap," the Norinco's are actually very, very good, and at a really low price.

Some of their 1911's are exceptionally well-made, and are great platforms for customization. If anything, I put their 1911 well ahead of Taurus' attempt at making a 1911, for certain, especially since they're about 200 bucks less and shoot better.
    Norincos are great. They're made with recycled railroad tracks. Hardest steel around. A lot of gunsmiths have broken their tools working on them.

I'd love to get one of these Tokarevs.

And for Ronin: The Chinese are notorious for ripping off foreign weapons and chambering them for different calibers that they can access more easily. 9x19mm is a great round and easy to find anywhere in the world. Its also very cheap. I highly doubt anybody is going to buy a Tokarev for armor piercing rather than fun shooting, so 9x19 is a perfect round for the platform.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2009 3:24pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin
    Why would you want it in anything but 7.62x25? It's a classic cartridge, and it performs well against armor for what it is.
    It's getting more and more difficult to find Tokarev ammo these days. A shame, since this is one really zippy round.

Gone are the days of really cheap surplus.

Edit: I may have spoken too soon, regarding the cheap fodder... Ammoman still has the Romanian cans for a decent price.
    Last edited by chemistry; 2/09/2009 3:32pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast