Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 11:40pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

how to quit smoking

I want to quit smoking cold turkey, but its like i start coughing hard and get headaches after a day or so without smoking(i find this weird too) and other things. I actually listened to my friend to do push ups, sit ups, or run when i want a cigarette and then after the workout my crave comes again.

So how do i stop coughing without the smokes and what can i do to stop the crave?

ps. i also get really hungry especially at night and my hands sort of start shaking and sometime kind of reach for my pack of cigarettes

thanks
    Last edited by truepwrz; 2/04/2009 11:44pm at .

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 12:32am

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trueplayez!!!

You finally decided to stop hanging out with that troupe of pole dancers and decided to see your old buddies on Bullshido eh?

Nice one!

As to you question, the coughing is due to your lungs finally being cut some slack and are in the process of getting rid of a lot of the **** left there by the fags you've been smoking.

You're getting hungry at night, because nicotine suppresses your appetite.

The nicotine in the ciggies will have cleared your system in about two days, so any really unpleasant side effects should be gone by then. A friend of mine used to find that sucking an unlight cigerette, when the cravings were really bad helped.

The ritual of smoking maybe enough to help you cope with any lingering cravings.

Or you could take up juggling...?
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 12:53am

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smokers get afraid of withdrawal, but it's really not even as bad as a case of the flue. Just accept that you are going to be sick for a couple of days. It sucks a little, but any little girl can deal with it. The weeks after are the hard part, but that's when things like working out hard etc can really help. The rules you must follow are try to avoid smokers and no booze or drugs for awhile, and most especially absolutely under no circumstances have drinks or drugs around smokers.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 1:01am

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    Smokers get afraid of withdrawal, but it's really not even as bad as a case of the flue. Just accept that you are going to be sick for a couple of days. It sucks a little,
    Exactly!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyoldGuy
    but any little girl can deal with it.
    Shutchomouth!!! Dontcho be talkin dat way ta Playaz...!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HOG(Can I call you HOG...?)
    The weeks after are the hard part, but that's when things like working out hard etc can really help. The rules you must follow are try to avoid smokers and no booze or drugs for awhile, and most especially absolutely under no circumstances have drinks or drugs around smokers.
    ...Caffine...?
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 1:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Fighting without Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quit quit quit!

You'll find a bit of mixed information about nicotine but a lot of it comes out about the same. From my experience and what I've read, who knows how it really worked out, nicotine takes 3 days to clean out of your system and about 2 weeks for your nervous system to make a significant recovery (If you've exercised and remained active). You should also however remember that nicotine mimics acetylcholine which is a neurotransmitter used in your body that delivers signals from your brain to your muscles, controls basic functions like how your breathe and your heart beat, and plays a significant role in learning and memory among other things. Starting to see how screwed up nicotine really is? I have more.

Your brain officially recognizes that nicotine is in fact NOT acetylcholine and in effect does everything in it's power to prevent your death from an overdose of the poison in parts of your brain. The brain will do this by redirecting the majority of nicotine neurotransmitters to certain parts of your brain and creating a HUGE, in comparison to other networks of neurons you naturally produced, HUGEHUGEHUGE condensed networks of neurons in isolated locations SOLELY for the purpose of disposing the poison through stronger receptors in your brain. When you start to quit smoking all of these major networks start collapsing and reconstructing as they no longer have a necessary relationship to keep which leaves you feeling whatever you feel, good or bad, during the course of your nicotine-absent neural reconstruction. Hence, the real challenge is reconstructing your entire network of neurons to resist the possible future exposure to second hand smoke which contains 4x the amount of everything a cigarette provides to the person who smokes it. Things that help, mind over matter, GOD, willpower, etc. I could be TOTALLY wrong on all of this but that's what helps me not smoke ;)

So to recap on the basics of what you will experience initially while quitting...

3 days of the poisonous nicotine being cleaned out from your body, the third day being the most stressful as your withdrawals will be PEAKING by this point.

After that you have 11-21 more days where you will experience the most significant moments of your neural reconstruction with the absence of nicotine, these could be good or bad depending on your prior conditioning to nicotine. After this you can consider yourself done with smoking, really you would have to be a total jackass to have read all of this and decided to smoke again after ACTUALLY QUITTING WITH THAT KNOWLEDGE.

Don't smoke, it's bad for you, and it makes it harder for you to do anything...

Unless you really want to become a mindless robot.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 1:16am

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JingMerchant!
    Caffine...?
    It's been quite a few years. I think I kept drinking coffee, but that's the sort of thing that will probably be personal. If coffee triggers cravings then avoid it.

Also, once you start on this, you are not quitting. You have quit. You aren't a smoker working on stopping, you are an ex smoker. I don't want to sound like fucking yoda, but it's true.
    Last edited by HappyOldGuy; 2/05/2009 1:19am at .

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 2:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Fighting without Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you express an excellent point HappyOldGuy. It's important.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 2:15am

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been 19 or so days since I last had a smoke. Its been hard. I quit cold turkey and at times I would have really liked to smoke. Just this last weekend I went to my coaches fight I was able to drink and even smoke weed with out breaking down and having a cig. I figure if I can make it through a full on party weekend then I would be ok.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2009 10:34am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JingMerchant!
    Trueplayez!!!

You finally decided to stop hanging out with that troupe of pole dancers and decided to see your old buddies on Bullshido eh?

Nice one!

As to you question, the coughing is due to your lungs finally being cut some slack and are in the process of getting rid of a lot of the **** left there by the fags you've been smoking.

You're getting hungry at night, because nicotine suppresses your appetite.

The nicotine in the ciggies will have cleared your system in about two days, so any really unpleasant side effects should be gone by then. A friend of mine used to find that sucking an unlight cigerette, when the cravings were really bad helped.

The ritual of smoking maybe enough to help you cope with any lingering cravings.

Or you could take up juggling...?
    thanks for the info i like the idea of smoking an unlight cigarette, i will give it a try today

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2009 11:21pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Licorice sticks (real sticks, not that candy nastiness) and minty toothpicks helped me alot with the cravings. I even started smoking herbs like mullein and lavender and stuff which was nice. I will definitely second the staying away from the smokers for a while too.

Don't feed the beast! That little voice in your head telling you to smoke is not you! Exercise them demons, find the way to salvation and glory!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast