Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 3:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

St. Pete Top-Team

This MMA program was definitely a surprise considering the location. The instructor, Kru Dan, is a Khmer-Kickboxing fighter, as well as a stripped Gracie Barra purple belt and experienced catch wrestler. First we started with some light jogging, then a pretty good stretch. Afterwards we did some very intensive padwork/suicides, I almost threw up lol! Afterwards he shared his perspective on each one of our individual striking techniques and offered corrections that made huge differences in my stand up game. This is guy is for real, he demonstrated the proper leg kick from a Khmer kickboxing stand point, and I swear, even though he just tapped me with his leg kick it totally rattled my thigh bone ouch! Overall the stand up instruction was extremely detailed and technical. Then came the grappling portion. We began doing some shrimping and other grappling specific drills. Then he went over some strong details on positioning and control. Then we began doing some positional drills. Then he taught us a sweep, escape, and a submission from that position, as well as some strategy when approaching each technique and position. Then for the last 45 minutes or so we rolled (the class is a little over 2 hours). Kru Dan made it a point to roll with each of us. Though I was accustomed to grappling purples, Kru Dan was a whole different animal. On top of being a very dynamic purple (definitely should have a brown) his positioning and ability to control was insane. On top of that, he has to be the only big guy who plays guard like a feather weight. His blend of catch and jiu-jitsu completely caught me off guard. Overall the grappling instruction was just as good if not better than my old home (Gracie Tampa). Kru Dan had a very strong insight on Khmer kick boxing, and his grappling was top-notch as well. A real good blend of strong Gracie Barra jiu jitsu and the extremely unorthodox submissions of catch, with very technical Khmer kickboxing. Oh yea, the other students were very helpful and knowledgeable. Actually one of the younger white belts (maybe 15) went tap for tap with me. Definitely, once I get my job situation back where it needs to be, im joining. 9 out of 10 definitely!
    Last edited by lexjitsu; 2/04/2009 4:29pm at . Reason: misunderstood rating system

Posted On:
    1/14/2010 3:13pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have any updates on the school address, or possible website?
    Also, are there any restrictions to how many classes you can attend or such? Because $50 a month sounds to good to be true.

Posted On:
    4/30/2010 8:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kmher kickboxing / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Student

My name is Joe i train with Kru Dan with the St Pete Top Team.. i believe you're the guy who reviewed the class when we were at Oh's McDojo; great review btw! I started training a bit after your review... they kicked us out eventually...we where training at this "Choi Kwon Doe" place on Starkey. They doubled the lease... Unfortunately Kru Dan is having slight financial problems and we are still on the move; training wherever... Kru is thinking of moving our team to 4th Street Boxing...trying to build our team! this is a email address from work so please don't respond...i can have Kru Dan register on the sight - and yes no sign up costs, test fees, 50$ a month no bs contracts or whatever

Posted On:
    5/05/2010 7:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this for a more advanced crowd, or it is beginner friendly also?