Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 10:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missing posts moved here: http://bullshido.net/forums/showthre...t=81113&page=2

Starting at post #58.

For those that had their posts moved, please note the 'new' thread title.
    Last edited by jnp; 3/23/2009 10:20pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 11:31pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    Actually, in the old days, the concept was to throw them face down.

The Japanese Police team told me that throwing someone face down meant they could not pull a weapon on you.

That concept has all been lost in the move to sport and the rules of the game.
    By old days do you mean early Judo or pre-Judo Jujutsu?

I was under the impression that Judo throws are supposed to put people on their backs because it's safer for the uke, not because of the competition rules.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    3/24/2009 8:26am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Guess View Post
    By old days do you mean early Judo or pre-Judo Jujutsu?

I was under the impression that Judo throws are supposed to put people on their backs because it's safer for the uke, not because of the competition rules.
    Combat vs sport.

Although the concept was to throw to position. Either directly to the pin, or into a dynamic knee on belly (more of a knee drop really).

Of course that last one would really hurt people.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My two cents - rules are always changing and often a reaction to players abusing the rules to win.
    The competitors should be able to work against certain trends and allow the evolution of techniques that way. Usually you see those trends come and go. For xample the popularity of pick ups and "flying arm bars " in the 70s. Lots of leg graps in the 90s and early 2000s. But if you look at nations who are currently the most successful in judo,like Brazil and Japan you find that what distinguishes them most is a strong background of traditional judo with old fashioned techniques. ( Seoi Nage , Uchi Mata)
    So things usually work themself out.

GIs - The gis in judo allow for more grips, more techniques and a greater variety of throws than no-gi sports. Therefor we should fully embrace that and allow pretty much every grip situation possible. Yes to pistol grip, trouser grip , cross gripping longer than 3 secs . It's all good , makes for more interesting judo. If you can't deal with your partner taking a pistol grip - ah well, go to a no-gi sport. The only thing which should stay illegal is wrapping your belt around the other guys neck... everything else is fair game.

Turtle on the ground : Penalty for the guy who defends into that position. AND a penalty for the guy who doesn't attack but waits for the referee to say matte. If your opponent is in such a poor defense with no chance of attacking and you just hang around doing nothing: Well there is a penalty right there for you.

Stop giving yukos and waza-aris . Never understood why 3 yukos should be less worth than one waza-ari. If you get thrown by waza-ari and then continue to fight hard , throw your opponent 3 times for yuko , you still loose? Just give 5 points for the waza ari and 3 for the yuko, that will make the fight more active.
    Keep the ippon, it's our form of a knock-out and a great judo spirit.

Time on the ground - as long as here is progress, continue the fight. Ignore the olympic TV demands . But don't bore us to tears with endless stalemates on the ground a la BJJ. Let's be honest - if two BJJ fighers are of similar skill and strenght, their fights are often very boring and benefit from a new start in the standing position. Cause that is where you should start setting up for your strangle or arm lock, this whole theory , " let's go to the ground and see what happens" is just as boring as " I only fight standing up"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2009 7:25am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the ideas. Someone at my club will not though. A 65kg who beats upto 120kg + by jigotai then seoi nage shoudler drop(?), but it never seemed like a "useful" technique to allow. I suppose sports have to tread the line between useful and possible, but anything that lets judo be played as skilled judo instead of stalemate is great. Its a bit like the "clinch", or those drawn out bjj stalemates. How does wrestling manage not to get stuck down like this? Does it have shorter time limits to play within, and hence the players get on with their methods? It looks like a great, simple practical self defense to me. What is your opinions on a long pin time? When is it too long?
    Last edited by vladoshi; 4/04/2009 7:28am at .
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456