Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 12:05am

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Working out when soar

No, not over training by hitting the gym every day. Today I played paintball for quite a few hours, leaving me soar. Mostly my legs from squatting, kneeling, sprinting constantly. Still, I went and worked out anyway because I won't have a reasonable chance to work out tomorrow. My squats suffered from it obviously. I also practice karate and play tennis along with paintball, so as much as I work to avoid it, I have to make the choice to work out when I am soar or skip. I am 95% sure it is better to just suck it up and lift anyway then to skip, but my question is how much of a detriment is it to your size/strength gaining? Is it only minor because your still working your muscles hard and as long as you let them recover after they will grow, or are you doing little more then maintenance lifting.

What say you, bullshido.

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 12:53am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

^ Soar

Edit: I won't be a total douche and not leave actual input. Overworking your muscles can hamper their growth, yes. I doubt you're working them hard enough in paintball to cause any serious problems though, Unless you do some crazy **** whilst paint balling.
    Last edited by marcusdbrutus; 2/01/2009 12:57am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2009 3:53am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its going to be hard to make gains when your doing so much cardio type activities.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/02/2009 8:02am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire
    No, not over training by hitting the gym every day. Today I played paintball for quite a few hours, leaving me soar. Mostly my legs from squatting, kneeling, sprinting constantly. Still, I went and worked out anyway because I won't have a reasonable chance to work out tomorrow. My squats suffered from it obviously. I also practice karate and play tennis along with paintball, so as much as I work to avoid it, I have to make the choice to work out when I am soar or skip. I am 95% sure it is better to just suck it up and lift anyway then to skip, but my question is how much of a detriment is it to your size/strength gaining? Is it only minor because your still working your muscles hard and as long as you let them recover after they will grow, or are you doing little more then maintenance lifting.

What say you, bullshido.
    You are 100% wrong. Rest.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2009 8:07am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FriendlyFire doing too much is the number one thing to kill peoples gains in the gym.

Portillo you are inccorect. GPP is essential to increase work capacity, it is especially essential for "hardgainers". That said some activities, i.e. prolonged cardio, will damage results.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/02/2009 8:17am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's sore, I don't work it that day.

I have the back pain to prove I learned that the hard way.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 6:08am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But theres different degrees of sore, should you not train unless the soreness is absolutely gone? Or maybe you can just go on feel, and listening to your body.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 6:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that potassium and vitamin B suppliments seem to help get rid of DOMS faster. Of course resting is still required when your body's telling you to give it a break to recover.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 9:39am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training sore consistently is probably a problem. I guess I should say intense training. Once in a while is not a bad thing, especially if you know you won't be able to get to the gym for a few days ( forced recovery ). Plus training sore, if not too intensely, can actually help get rid of the DOMS, with increased blood flow.

Be careful, when working out sore, though, it can mask real pain, ie. injury. I'd mainly do light work and stretching........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 4:48pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dumb question no once else has asked:

How long have you been lifting consistently and how old are you?

If you are new to lifting, regardless of age, you are going to be really sore for the first few weeks no matter what you do. A long layoff will result in something similar. Other activities (like Paintball) will be largely irrelevant to the degree of soreness compared to getting under a bell for the first time. As you get older, this effect is intensified.

If you are new to lifting / long layoff, its a hard balance between sucking it up through the tail end of the soreness vs. waiting for any trace to disappear. Don't work out if its absolutely raging unless its part of an organized event. In which case, you pretty much have to follow the program to be part of it unless its a serious injury.

Stretching immediately after lifting and having a post workout recovery drink with quality protein, creatine and some vitamins will help tremendously, as will foam roller work.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast