is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 10:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Fu Fury
    Yes, he said I should give it around 4 weeks after the cast came off before I should resume weight training (I left it about 5 just to be sure). I'm only using light weights right now (about 4.5KG), till I get some strength back. I ain't seeing doctor again until march I think.
    Hmm, okay. I was hoping he'd have some milestones in terms of how you were doing physically, rather than just a timeframe, but such is life.

The bottom line is that you don't want to reinjure your wrist, so if you suspect something is going to cause reinjury, don't do it.

If you have the equipment for it, I suppose you could do cable triceps pushdowns with a "collar" that goes around your forearm just above the wrist. It'd take your hand and wrist out of the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 11:19pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Hmm, okay. I was hoping he'd have some milestones in terms of how you were doing physically, rather than just a timeframe, but such is life.

The bottom line is that you don't want to reinjure your wrist, so if you suspect something is going to cause reinjury, don't do it.

If you have the equipment for it, I suppose you could do cable triceps pushdowns with a "collar" that goes around your forearm just above the wrist. It'd take your hand and wrist out of the equation.
    Alright cheers man, I will most certainly bear that in mind in regards to the reinjury thing. I don't own any cable machines at home, but I do occasionally(oncea week or so) have access to them for free at my college's gym (which I will join as a member as soon as I can afford it, which with any luck won't be long). In the meantime, I might give tricep dips and tricep extensions a go, as they seem to be a good start. cheers for the advice lads I appreciate it. Any more tips you could give and I would be very thankful.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 11:34pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knuckle push ups (on a padded surface of course) with elbows tucked in (mucho importante). That's been the best option for me to hit the triceps whenever I've had a hand/wrist injury. Second to that, push up handles or the "perfect push up" gadget. However, sometimes grabbing a handle when doing push ups can put pressure on an injured wrist just like a barbell bench press.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 11:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just so I'm clear, the thing I'm talking about is an attachment for a cable machine like this - they call it an ankle strap because that's usually where you wear it, but you *might* be able to use it around your forearm as well.

Be careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2009 12:01am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would think that doing the exercises the doctor recommended for a while might be a better start. Doing the slow progression back into heavier weights might be better. That seems like the easiest path to avoiding injury to me. I wish I had some super secret that would make things work faster for you.

Its too bad you don't have access to a gym, the YMCA I used to go to has these dip/pull-up machines that sort of push you up a little bit so that you can do less than body weight. The grips on them were awesome.

Anyone think that Perfect Pushup gadget actually has much merit to it? It looks like it makes sense on first glance, but that kind of thinking hasn't worked well for me in the past. I have been thinking about picking one up if I ever see it in a thrift store or something.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/02/2009 7:47am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It worked for me, but for my shoulders. The fact that you can rotate the handles as you push up and down helps a lot in shoulder recovery - gentler than doing dips in rings (which is what helped me the most), but good enough to produce the instability I needed for shoulder recovery.

However, I would suspect this could work in some cases, but not in others. That is, it's not the silver bullet for everyone's specific case of shoulder pain, nor it to be the uber-chest builder it is advertised to be.

I do like them a lot since it worked for me. It is really different from your standard, fixed-position push up handles - with my previous caveat about possible wrist pain (which is what the OP is suffering.) So it's a trial and error kind of thing.

If you can buy them cheapo on craiglist or in some yard sale, that'd be better. People buy this type of **** and never use them and then sell them for peanuts. For gadgets that might or might not work for you, this would be a good alternative to trying them out.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2009 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A freind of mine has those Perfect Push Up things. He says they are very good; hence I am in the process of finding some I can by in any local stores rather then over the web.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    2/02/2009 8:01pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried wrapping your hands for those knuckle pushups and other exercises?

Focus on wrapping the wrist, that might help.

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 7:35am

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Dumbbell bench (thumbs-in or thumbs-up)
    Lying triceps extension

Are you talking about the weakness caused by the layoff, or is your wrist still interfering with training?
    I do them but use one big dumbbell or KB instead of two middle sized ones, I find it easier to keep my elbows pointed in the right direction doing it this way. I await criticism.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 8:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJM
    Have you tried wrapping your hands for those knuckle pushups and other exercises?

Focus on wrapping the wrist, that might help.
    I tried that, but to no avail with reguler pushups; however I still wear wrist supports when I do knuckle pushups (well, half pushups; it's all I can do at the moment hehehe).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast