Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 2:57pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need help with triceps

So back in october I broke my scaphoid by rather foolishly hitting a punching bag without gloves. I was in a cast until around the end of december, and have not been allowed under doctors orders to work my arms until about a week ago. Now whilst I have made decent improvements in my cardio and core, my upper body is now as weak as hell.

I can use dumbells again, but pushups are nigh on impossible thanks to this bloody wrist. Are there any exercises you guys can think of to work my triceps with dumbells? I have no access to a gym (yet) and I own very little exercise equipment at home (I've had to make do with calisthenics, dumbells and running for the past year or so). Any advice would be appreciated.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 3:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dumbbell bench (thumbs-in or thumbs-up)
    Lying triceps extension

Quote Originally Posted by Kung Fu Fury
    I can use dumbells again, but pushups are nigh on impossible thanks to this bloody wrist.
    Are you talking about the weakness caused by the layoff, or is your wrist still interfering with training?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bit of both dude; I would most likely be able to do pushups on my knuckles, but I can barely do half pushups like that thanks to how weak my arms have got, and on my palms it's far to painful for my wrist.

oh and cheers for the link dude.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 4:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you seen a physiotherapist, and if so, do you have rehab exercises?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you use push-up handles? I would recommend dips over anything. They rule. If you don't have access to a dip bar, try doing them on a chair with your feet elevated on another chair in front of you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 4:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Have you seen a physiotherapist, and if so, do you have rehab exercises?
    Yes, and the rehab exercises consist mostly of wrist and forearm stretches, wrist rolls and the like; stuff to help get it moving again.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    Can you use push-up handles? I would recommend dips over anything. They rule. If you don't have access to a dip bar, try doing them on a chair with your feet elevated on another chair in front of you.
    I have considered getting some of these push up handles. Not a great deal of places sell them around here unfortunatly; at least no where I have seen. As for dips; yeah I can do these, though I rarely did them before my wrist broke. Maybe I ought to make a start on those then, eh? Cheers.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 4:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung Fu Fury
    Yes, and the rehab exercises consist mostly of wrist and forearm stretches, wrist rolls and the like; stuff to help get it moving again.
    Did your physiotherapist give you any guidance as to how far along you should be to safely resume weight training?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, if you are able to do dips, you should definitely do them. Trust me, you will not be disappointed be your results. If you do dips just remember a couple of things. Leaning forward will still work your tris, but it will put more of your chest into your workout. If you look up and keep your posture strait, you will target your tris more.

Either way you will get great results.

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 9:18pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything I can think of for the triceps puts alot of pressure on the wrists. Skullcrushers and dips especially. An assload of pulldowns might be an option, but you'd need to go for the gym for that and even then you might hamper the normal reaction time the injury deserves.

Rest up, eat your veggies, and train hard AFTER a sufficient layoff as determined by a medical professional.

Any other advice would be irresponsible.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 10:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Did your physiotherapist give you any guidance as to how far along you should be to safely resume weight training?
    Yes, he said I should give it around 4 weeks after the cast came off before I should resume weight training (I left it about 5 just to be sure). I'm only using light weights right now (about 4.5KG), till I get some strength back. I ain't seeing doctor again until march I think.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast