Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2009 12:11am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stick with these guys, they are like a second coach... ignore rumors of a hive mind. They keep me motivated when I am being stupid.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 11:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Long Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    Stick with these guys, they are like a second coach... ignore rumors of a hive mind. They keep me motivated when I am being stupid.
    haha ok i'll keep that in mind

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 12:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Long Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is so easy! I'm using the skinny bastard part III right now (http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html). It works perfectly with my schedule and added an extra day which I really wanted. I can find all the exercises I don't know on youtube and most are demonstrated by his gym.

So glad I switched over to this. Even with the shakes I'm taking I'm pretty sore for the first time in 3 weeks of 4-5 days at the gym a week. Today I do the "Dynamic-Effort Lower Body" routine which looks pretty intense. I have every routine written down in a planner where I am recording the weight and reps. I'm also going to start writing my weight down day to day for some motivation.

And... I turned down a beer on Super Bowl sunday haha.

Only problem is that I don't usually have anyone to spot me when I'm at the gym. I guess I'll just ask some randoms for help. Well it worked out here! haha thanks for all this, so far so good. Hopefully a month from now I'll be doing the same damn thing.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bit of advice from my experience:

Accept that you know **** all about nutrition.

Seriously, I thought I knew what to do and ballooned. Now, after a **** load of research and reading Russ and Macho's posts I've finally got things under control and have lost 13kg (don't know how many pounds that is).

As Macho said, don't rely on anyone else's cooking. To reach a desired weight, you need to be totally in control of what's going into your body.

Keep at it though mate, unless you have a Kryptonian Metabolism, you should be able to reach your goals eventually.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 10:27pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i guess this is as good a thread as any to ask.

i'm currently 20 (turning 21 in a few days), male, 5"10ish. i've lost over 60 pounds, going from out of fucking shape 245lbs to the best shape of my life at 185lbs (dropped lower a few times, gained it back looking as slim, so i'm guessing it's muscle gain?)

i'd like to bulk up a bit. a little more muscle mass. specifically in the pectoral area. as i've mentioned in other threads (http://bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80224), i train 2x a day at least 4 days a week, one conditioning training, one technique (normally BJJ, every now and then boxing), generally don't train weekends, but i'll spar on a saturday or even do a workout now and then.

the conditioning routines are functional strength, endurance, and whatnot. (think crossfit and gym jones, which is what our instructor bases a lot of it on). we normally run about half a mile to about a mile and a half as warmup, although i've been cutting down on the running.

i'm eating LIKE A BULL, as again i've mentioned in the other thread. there's a little outline of what my diet is like. but basically it's an if it's in front of me, i shall devour it, diet.

is there anything in particular i can do to help muscle growth? would i have to stop doing these types of workouts/cut down on my MA training? is there other workouts i can add to do after class to help me out?

thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 10:40pm

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai (MMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently putting on weight, aiming to chuck on 10kg, not purely muscle, im very ripped as it is, and don't care if i get a more rounder look.

I train 6 days a week, different muscle every day, but the secret to putting on weight is that I eat constantly, I won't go 2 hours without eating something, and the biggest difference i've made is a protein shake half way through my nights sleep. Getting 9-10 hours sleep also makes a big difference, sleep is where you build size.

Also make sure you stay very hydrated, especially if you're running, if you have adequate protein available and enough water, its impossible not to grow muscle so long as you aren't over-training.

In the gym I limit myself to 45 minutes, then get the hell out of there, even if I have a set or two left.

Alcohol will destroy your gains through dehydration aswell, if you have to drink for a special event or something, I recommend eating before and after, and preferably while drinking, and have a glass of water for every 2 drinks you have, sure, it'll be harder to get drunk, but if your goal with drinking is to get drunk you certainly aren't serious about your training.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/03/2009 11:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk
    i'd like to bulk up a bit. a little more muscle mass. specifically in the pectoral area.
    i train 2x a day at least 4 days a week, one conditioning training, one technique (normally BJJ, every now and then boxing), generally don't train weekends, but i'll spar on a saturday or even do a workout now and then.

the conditioning routines are functional strength, endurance, and whatnot. (think crossfit and gym jones, which is what our instructor bases a lot of it on).
    I'd be mildly surprised if a well-trained lifter had ever gained appreciable muscle mass doing Crossfit, and I'd be downright shocked if such a thing has ever happened with Gym Jones, given the latter's strong slant towards mountain climbing and other strength-weight ratio activities.

So I'm going to go out here on a limb and say that if you want to gain muscle mass, you should probably start a resistance-training program that has been shown to induce gains in muscle mass.

"Thanks, smartass. Examples, please?"

(403 Forbidden - wait for the next post)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 12:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -Westside For Skinny Bastards http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part1.html
    -One of its variations http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...rds-part3.html
    -Stronglifts 5x5 http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/
    -Super Squats Amazon.com: Super Squats: How to Gain 30 Pounds of Muscle in 6 Weeks: Randall J. Strossen (Ph.D.): Books

Or, if you want to go against the PT forum grain, there's
    -Hypertrophy-Specific Training http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Note that I'm not endorsing any of these. I've tried WS4SB, Super Squats, and HST. If I recall correctly, I managed to injure myself with all three of them, so I'm inclined to believe it's just me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 6:26am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so i'm guessing this means i have to swap out my workout for one of these programs?

damnit.

in said case, say i do, and i make my gain goals, and switch back to the programs i'm doing... will i lose what i gained and slim back down?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 10:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so i'm guessing this means i have to swap out my workout for one of these programs?
    The alternatives to that are:
    -Do a hypertrophy program on top of your Crossfit/Gym Jones conditioning. I would expect them to interfere with each other and probably lead to overtraining.
    -Keep doing what you're doing and hope the stars align.
    -Do something completely different that I haven't mentioned (IGF-1 or pec implants, for example).

I think you should be able to infer what my recommendation is, particularly given that there are conditioning programs you could do that shouldn't interfere with hypertrophy.

in said case, say i do, and i make my gain goals, and switch back to the programs i'm doing... will i lose what i gained and slim back down?
    Conventional wisdom says that (fire up the search function) sarcoplasmic hypertrophy will fade fairly quickly once you stop training it, whereas myofibrillar hypertrophy will last for a while, particularly if you're still doing strength work.

I think that if you do any one of these programs, gain muscle mass, start doing Crossfit/Gym Jones again, and start to lose muscle mass, you should be able to reverse the loss by doing two things:
    1) Eating more
    2) A few weeks of the program that led to the initial gains

In other words, get the muscle first, then worry about keeping it.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast