Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 7:20pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Long Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gaining Weight My Only Concern

For about two years I've been 135 lbs. I'm 5'11'' at the moment and my main goal right now is to put on twenty pounds. I am also focused on doing this in a healthy manner and getting as strong as possible. A lot of people have been saying this is going to be extremely difficult for me because I don't have the body for it (my waste is a 28). So hopefully y'all can give me some input that can help me to my goal!

My current routine is about 5 days of the week at the gym where I usually run a mile before working out (trying to get back to 2-3 miles but endurance is lacking). Then I hit one of two workouts; either upper or lower body. Upper body I will do bench 3 sets of 10 reps. Then incline press or military press. Then curls doing 3 sets of 20. Then I do this thing called the great set which is low weight high reps with dumbells where you do 60 for 1 set. A set or two of wristcurls and the machine where you pull the bar down (the one attached to the row machine). Legs is just squat, calf raises, sitting press, lunges, and whatever other leg machine thats open, I kinda don't have a good routine with those.

After working out I sit in the sauna for about 30 minutes. When I get home I drink 2 scoops of Monster Milk. Sometimes I drink the stuff before I workout, like today :) Transitioning to 2 servings of the stuff per day.

My main problem is I do not have a steady diet. Sometimes my mom cooks, sometimes she doesn't. I've grown so accustomed to irregular eating habits I can go a day without eating and not think twice about it. I'm trying to change this now so I've been frying up eggs and eating them on rice or making pb&js. Also trying to get more sleep since I read here it helps people grow.

In two weeks I've gained five pounds, upped the amount I solo rep on bench by 10 pounds, and am feeling a lot bigger and healthier.

What can I change in my workout routine? Should I squat everyday? Should I avoid the Sauna for the time being? Should I not run for the time being? Does drinking alcohol adversely affect gaining weight? Should I space out my workouts or just go full force everyday unless I'm too tired/sore?

Also, anyone with a similar body type have a success story? Everyone is doubting me and I'm in a hurry to prove them wrong. Well I'm off to the gym, I'll be checking this when I get back.

Oh and I read the stickies and other peoples workout advice but some just went over my head or wasn't specific enough. Feel free to point me in the right direction in case these threads happen here alot.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 8:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sigh*

Under the assumption that you're sincere, I'm going to do my best to be patient and helpful.

1) I recommend you scrap your current program and start on one designed by an expert. Westside For Skinny Bastards has been pretty good to me. Also, I'm going to tell you to keep on running, but I expect the next few people to post to disagree with me on that one, which is fine.

2) If you want to gain mass, you need to ingest more calories. If you're not lactose intolerant or allergic to milk, I recommend you start drinking it - and if you already drink it, drink more of it.

3) Eat more often. Unless you're sleeping, you shouldn't be going more than two or three hours between meals/snacks.

4) Limit the length of your workouts. Try to structure them so you're doing everything (including running, if you continue to do it) in less than two hours - preferably closer to an hour.

5) Eat immediately after working out - before you change, before you shower, and definitely before sauna or going home. Your post-workout meal should have a substantial amount of protein and carbohydrate. My personal preference is a whey protein shake, a sugary protein bar, and some chocolate milk. Find something that works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 8:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate it when people ask for this type of health advice without telling two of the most important factors: age and gender.

Yes. alcohol can be detrimental to fitness goals.

If you drink alcohol, you should be old enough to be independent of your mom's cooking.

Anyways, to get to a particular fitness goal, one must take control of one's own diet. And that includes cooking/preparation. There is almost no way for a person to get to such specific fitness goals if that person is dependent on someone else' erratic cooking. That dependency has to go.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 11:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    18/male

Thanks TheRuss. I had no idea eating after a work out was so important. Checking out the guide, I'll report back on that once I use it a few times.

And El Macho, I'm working on getting my own food. Trying to be more independent but it doesn't happen overnight. Like I said right now all I do on my own is eggs and sammich's. And I don't drink often, but it is readily available and all my friends do.

One question about eating more often... Doesn't that increase your metabolism and burn calories? I thought that was something fat people do to slim down.

And I'm so fucking serious its not funny. Seems like there is no point in fighting if I'm going to be so small.

Why the *sighs*? I figured this is a common thing here but I like talking with people about it so I can hear different view points and ask questions when I don't understand.

Anyways thanks for the help so far, its a step in the right direction for me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    killwill

Keep up the good fight.

At your age I had to stand twice to cast a shadow.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 11:44pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, if you are 18, then chances are you won't be able to make any gains until you are in your early/middle 20's. Of course, no one develops equally, but usually, at least for males, you either get your build in your teens or you are under your potential until you are in your 20's.

Keep the good fight and persevere, but keep in mind that you might be stuck in the skinny department until you are a bit older. I went through the same when I was a teen, and I know that it is not funny.

As for alcohol, stay away from that ****, seriously. Just because your friends do, that doesn't mean you ough to... or at least stay away from copious amounts of beer.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 1:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killwill
    One question about eating more often... Doesn't that increase your metabolism and burn calories? I thought that was something fat people do to slim down.
    To lose weight: Eat smaller amounts, more frequently. (metabolic increase without calorie increase)
    To gain weight: Eat more frequently. (metabolic increase with offsetting calorie increase)

Why the *sighs*? I figured this is a common thing here but I like talking with people about it so I can hear different view points and ask questions when I don't understand.

Anyways thanks for the help so far, its a step in the right direction for me.
    My *sigh* is because a lot of people have a lot of bad ideas. They're uncertain about things they should be confident in, and they're confident about things they should be uncertain about. And typically the hardest part of getting someone on the right track isn't telling them what to do - it's making sure they give up on bad ideas they've picked up.

How much sleep do you get a night?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 3:19am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I don't drink often, but it is readily available and all my friends do.

Get this **** out of your head right now. All your friends aren't trying to be athletes so what they do doesn't mean fuckall to you. You stop drinking while you are working on your goals. Once you reach those goals you can drink yourself into a fucking stupor, but until then get some fucking discipline and lay off of it. That goes for any other stupid **** that all of your friends are doing too. You want to be an athlete then you act like one.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 5:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TheRuss-"To gain weight: Eat more frequently. (metabolic increase with offsetting calorie increase)"- Ok will do. Wasn't sure if there was like a "3 huge portion" rule or something. I'm sleeping about 6-10 hours a night depending on my work on school schedule. Tomorrow I start DeFranco's workout. It was really encouraging reading that website except for the fact everyone was at least 150+ that wanted to gain weight haha

El Macho- I'll keep that in mind although I won't let that restrain me from putting my all into this.

Kintanon- You're right I was smiling reading that post. Even though there is no coach here I'm trying to be an athlete.

So far so good. This morning before work at 6am I had a peanut butter sandwich with chocolate milk. At 8 I had a nice portioned breakfast at work during my break. It's 4:15 now, going to go drink some monstamilk (which goes amazingly good with cranberry juice) and eat a bowl of rice with an egg. I've worked out 4 days this week so I'll rest then hit up DeFranco's tomorrow.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 5:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    killwill

Keep up the good fight.

At your age I had to stand twice to cast a shadow.
    Haha that's how I feel. thanks for the encouragement
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast