Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 11:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which is better for burning fat? BJJ or Traditional Jujitsu?

Hello all,

I have been studying Danzan Ryu Jujitsu as a way to get healthy. I have lost a little over 70 lbs to date and I have about a hundred pounds further to go. Yes, I was that bad! It took me about a year, but I just tested as a blue belt last month. On a personal note, that was kind of humbling to me; I didn't think I could do it.

Also, I want to be real straight forward with this question. I am not trying to incite a "my style can beat up your style" kind of flame war, I have a real specific health related question. I am using the MA to lose weight and get control of my health, not just to learn a "deadly serious killing system." :) (Man, I loved that movie, it was so truly awful...)

So that said, I have thought about this several times over the last year but I've never been to a BJJ school. My understanding is just from what I have read from the Internet. My understanding; BJJ schools (like Gracie Baja) spend a lot of their time on the ground. I believe they do some take downs, and technique stuff as well, but I think it's a pretty safe bet to say they spend the majority of their workout time down on the ground. Traditional schools (like the one I attend) have a mix, they do about (1/3) grappling, (1/3) standup technigues, and (1/3) throwing Nage.

So if you assume 6 hours per week training, here is my question. If ones goal is to burn fat, gain strength and build stamina/cardio which style is best? BJJ or traditional jujitsu? Again, not who can beat up who, but strickly from a weight loss/fat burning standpoint, which is best and why?

-Jake

P.S. You can check out my blog to see my progress and weight charts and stuff like that. Also, thanks in advance for any responses to my post.

http://scjakester.blogspot.com

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 11:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ground work is like swimming, you end up using all your muscles in conjunction with each other, AND you get the added bonus of doing it while have someone trying to sit on top of you and add their weight.

It's excellent cardio.

Just try a class and try rolling for 10 minutes and see,

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 11:52am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a poorly framed question. Why? Because neither all BJJ gyms nor Japanese Jujutsu dojos train in the same manner. So while one BJJ place might train cardio untill you puke, another might not train half that much. Same goes for JJJ.

How much time do you spend sparring in a fully non-compliant manner where you train now?

Most BJJ gyms spend at least 30 minutes, if not more than an hour, sparring in this manner. Seldom do I leave class without my gi being sopping wet with sweat. If you don't train in a similar manner at your JJJ class, I'd venture to guess you will burn more calories training in BJJ.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, my experience is that most people gas out in about 45 seconds if they don't have grappling experience.

I roll with a guy who does Yoshukai Karate. He runs 3 miles 3 days a week. I've seen him hit a bag for 20 minutes strait. But the first time I rolled with him, he tapped out from gas in about 45 seconds. He couldn't believe it.

I think it is just because you use muscles that you never use otherwise. When I first started, I remember my whole body being sore. And I'm in pretty good shape.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 11:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not try a BJJ gym in your area and see how it goes?

EDIT: You lost 70 pounds in a year? Nice one!

Oh, and it's 'Gracie Barra' by the way.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 1/19/2009 12:04pm at .

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 12:27pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't really say BJJ is better for weight loss then JJJ because it depends on how each class is structured and how much emphasis is placed on conditioning and sparring. Not all BJJ schools or JJJ schools are the same.

If you want to burn more calories during a martial arts session you have to train at a greater intensity for a longer period of time. The harder you work, the more calories you burn. Try out your local BJJ place and see how it compares intensity wise to your current school.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on losing the blubber! Keep it up.

The intensity does depend on how the class is run. Though I agree, gassing out happens real fast on the ground. Rolling in BJJ is inherently exhausting. But that said, I've seen black belts bow out of Shotokan and Hawaiian Kempo drills, and vomit on the mat at Wado-Ryu Karate... To say nothing of the purple faces and sweat soaked gi's at Kyokushin Karate.

IMHO, ALL good schools will push you to the limit, but BJJ can't help but push one there.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 1:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say the school that spars more is going to burn more fat.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 1:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin
    I'd say the school that spars more is going to burn more fat.
    Basically, as long as you add in the amount of other conditioning done. At the jits class I used to do, sparring was the conditioning, but at my current judo class, there's time set aside for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Randori is second only to swimming. Go for it....
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast