Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/30/2009 11:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: GJJ Newbie / TKD Brown4

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Warwheel

I mean I agree with you. Wearing a Gi, having a rank etc and working under a slightly different methodology is not grounds for suspicion.

My comment was meant in support of what you said.

On the other hand, in this PC guy's case I do not care what he wears, what his students call him, he is just simply unable to furnish any credentials ever.

Juced
    Last edited by jucedupp; 3/30/2009 11:48pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/31/2009 12:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys

Now, allow me to demonstrate to you the true face of bullshit.

Yesterday I wrote:

Then for all who would like a measure of integrity: go here: http://www.kickboxing.co.za/

Look at the date. I guess now I know why we are always waiting for the credentials.
    This comment was based on the following at kickboxing.co.za:

As you see, yesterday was the 30th. Suddenly this morning....

But the best of all is: The entire site is still dead. It's still just the front page with dead links. You cannot navigate the site. Now I know this may be a petty issue, but it is just more of the same, isn't it?

So if you think that this forum is not being watched by those in "power" at NMA, think again.

Makes one wonder... If they are watching, why are they not just forking out those sought after credentials for those arts as circled in red in the image above?

And not only do they have one Shihan, they have two! Two seventh Dan!

Wow. That is amazing. Not even old Steve Seagal above in Fugs post claims a seventh Dan!

NMA. I am calling you Bullshido. Prove me wrong. Show your papers.

Juced
    Last edited by jucedupp; 3/31/2009 12:16am at .

Posted On:
    5/20/2009 1:22pm

Style: MMA, Gōjū-ryu k

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, this guy is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

I started training at his dojo about 3 months ago, and boy, does this guy make an impression. He drives a chevrolet corvette, always wears a straight face and walks likes hes about to rip someones face off.

I have to agree with one of the previous posts where someone says he constantly makes displays of power: this cannot be more true. Once, when I was in the beginner class with a sempai, he came up and talked to the sempai while we were practising something. Obviously, the sempai being a rather timid man somewhere in his 20's is looking at PC like he's some kind of awe-inspiring god, and when PC is done talking he throws a punch out of nowhere into the guys stomach. Not just a tap, like you would playfully indicate to someone that they're off-guard, but a punch that made this guy flinch and act nervous for the rest of the lesson.
    Also, whenever he demonstrates a technique with one of the black or brown belts, he almost always hits or throws them with considerable force, far beyond what is neccesary.

However, I find his classes (actually, the classes his subordinates teach) to be fun and a practical way to learn fighting. I estimate that at least 20 minutes of every 75 minute session is dedicated to sparring, something I particularly enjoy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 2:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [COLOR=#cccccc]▲sHrYkULL▲[/COLO"]No BS Martial Arts - View Profile: ▲sHrYkULL▲@@AMEPARAM@@View Profile: ▲sHrYkULL▲</title>@@AMEPARAM@@▲sHrYkULL▲

You DO know that there ARE better places IN CAPE TOWN to learn than where you are right now? Right?

Just Checking.

Cheers

J

Posted On:
    5/21/2009 8:08am

Style: MMA, Gōjū-ryu k

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im pretty much stuck in the Northern Suburbs, and the place I train at is pretty close, so I guess I'll stay.

The place where you train at doesn't make THAT much of a difference, imo. A kick is a kick is a kick, and the people you spar with are a random sample of the population, so barring the possibility that another instructor is going to permeate your brain with awesome by some kind of osmosis, I don't think it really makes a difference if I change the place I train at. Fighting skill is mostly dependent on experience, endless refinement and practise of technique and physical strength, endurance and flexibility.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2009 2:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [color=#cccccc]▲sHrYkULL▲[/COLO"]No BS Martial Arts - View Profile: ▲sHrYkULL▲@@AMEPARAM@@View Profile: ▲sHrYkULL▲</title>@@AMEPARAM@@▲sHrYkULL▲

I am sorry but I will have to disagree. (Why then not just go train with Vernon Koekemoer or The local Skippy Peanutbutter Dojo, if who you train with does not matter? Or just you and your beer buddy?)

The instructor(s) make(s) all the difference in the world, in my opinion. They set the tone, philosophy and attitude of the school and therefore the real world quality of any students that school is going to produce. Technicality and precision becomes a factor. Sloppiness either creeps in or does not. Handling stress without succumbing to anger etc etc.

The simple problem is that Cave is accountable to nobody but himself, and could be teaching you all kinds of bull and the new guy would be none the wiser. If you did not come trained from another school, would you even know the difference?

Yes, Cave's students may win brawls against inferior fighters by pure bluster and aggression, but are they truly good fighters who will survive in competitions (that are not hosted by the NMA-ISKA to make NMA-ISKA fighters look good)? Or in real life and death situations? Or would the training they trust their lives to buckle in a real situation?

In other words, can they throw down for REAL and in a way that is TECHNICALLY accurate and effective against highly trained non-NMA-ISKA fighters? Or against an experienced street fighter with a knife?

You say that it depends on experience, endless refinement and practise of technique. I agree fully. But are the actual techniques that you are endlessly repeating and refining even accurate and bulletproof?

You see, this is where the whole issue of certification becomes important.

If he was certified by someone other than himself-and-himself-alone, then you could say: "Aaaah, but the internationally recognised style/organistation/authority, that other people and kickass teachers actually respect, says the stuff he is teaching me is good."

Perhaps I'm completely wrong and they are the ****-hottest fighters this country have ever seen. But that is where recognised certification backs him and his fighters up.

You see it is not the same as boxing, where a trainer makes money when his fighter wins. Here the trainer wants money upfront. And to do that ethically, just like any other teacher, even a schoolteacher, he has to provide something recognised that says: "I am a qualified teacher".

Now, because he cannot produce recognised certification, he could be a qualified toilet brush repair man, who watched a few mail-order martial arts tapes a few years ago and said: "I think I can teach this stuff...!" for all you know. I'm not saying he is, but he still has to prove, in a recognised way, what he is. Otherwise what he is doing is called bullshitting people for money. If someone says he is 7th Dan in a style I actually would like to be trained by someone who really is 7th Dan if I am paying for it. Logical?

And simple pride comes into it as well. If I am going to be paying REAL money, I would prefer to pay to a REAL instructor with REAL qualifications from a non-bullshit qualifying authority (i.e. not the instructor actually being the creator of the organisation that qualifies him) that he can actually show.

I would also prefer being trained by someone who has the respect of other Martial arts / Fighting art instructors in his town or city or country, who do not belong to his organisation.

I am not going to mention who I train with, but I can tell you one thing. They are actually qualified by a world renowned and respected organisation. They produce this certification on request. They never make any overt or covert displays of authority and bravado. Their school is full. In the end they turn out fighters who can go compete anywhere and perform well.

As you can see, I am quite zealous about this issue. I am not plugging my school here. I am rooting for integrity. Especially in a field where that integrity makes a real difference between being the winner or loser in the street. About 5 of the guys I work with at my company (in the city) have been mugged. One guy has been mugged 4 times. Who do you think he should train with? Anybody or somebody?

ps. the better schools I am talking about are also in and around the N suburbs.

Cheers

J
    Last edited by jucedupp; 5/25/2009 3:27am at .

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 7:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachCarl View Post
    ...To which I responded:

To: "Karel Van Der Merwe"
    Subject: Re: Jiu Jitsu
    Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:35:29 -0500

Hi Sensei Karel,

Thanks for getting back to me. Of course I'll introduce myself - my
    name is Carl, and I live in Cape Town. Im sorry if I offended you,
    and Im sure the instructors at Paul Caves are well qualified to teach
    BJJ, its just that Im interested in that side of the art and would
    like to know the belt & lineage. Surely thats easy to answer?

Kind regards,

Carl.

...And I haven't received a response.

So what do you guys think? Are clubs usually this defensive when it
    comes to instructors qualifications? Have I overstepped the mark by
    asking the instructor about his lineage?

Yo...... I know this is late...... but I currently train at one of shihan paul caves dojo's and ..... well Its not hyped up as the pamphlets and their marketing makes it out to be......... If you want to learn BJJ then rather find another gym because you wont enjoy the jiu jitsu we learn in classes...... In class I find students that has been there for years are so limited in the ammount of jiu jitsu they know. Im a white belt at the dojo and I have submitted those in Higher belt ranks then me including a 1st dan black belt student using submission holds such as kneebars heel hooks and kimura.... so I dont know How good Mr cave is at jiu jitsu as he I have not seen him grapple against someone he mostly focuses on kickboxing and karate techniques which includes points fighting and the like....... I dont want to question him as he come across as arrogant at times and I want to figure out on how we can grade in jiu jitsu and how someone who is a black belt is suddenly an expert in BJJ.... also hondahan is probably one of mr caves zombies who learn what is taught and nothing else

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 8:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KingofKings

There is only two places to go for real BJJ training and certification in Cape Town, in my opinion.

1) Gracie Academy - www.graciejj.co.za - These guys REALLY know their stuff and are certified.
    2) Gracie - Barra in Town - www.renzogracie.co.za

Thirdly, if you want to learn a really well taught mix of MMA - www.pridefightingacademy.co.za also in Town.

The rest, from what I have seen, are mostly also-rans. Just my opinion.

Cheers Juced.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 10:40am

Style: Kickboxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ▲sHrYkULL▲ View Post
    Not just a tap, like you would playfully indicate to someone that they're off-guard, but a punch that made this guy flinch and act nervous for the rest of the lesson.
    That is some serious bullshit! Mr Big Nuts punching one of your own students when he isn't expecting it! :angry2: It's bad enough faking grades but when I hear about people who smack around their students to make themselves look 'super hard' it really takes the biscuit! Someone in SA please pay this guy a visit.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I noticed his flier said "Khali". I've never seen it written that way, and based on his sketchy background in other arts (and two people mentioning they never did kali while studying at his school), I'd say he doesn't know much about kali either.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast