Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 2:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: GJJ Newbie / TKD Brown4

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Paul Cave is a BS artist of note

Um this guy is so fake it is not even funny. Point in case, he advertises himself as Shihan in Aikido. Um, there are only like 10 (if that many) Aikido Shihan on the planet. A very small world. So here is a story I heard, somewhat shortened, and I can more or less attest to the truthfulness of this. So a local Cape Town Sandan (Third Dan) walks into Cave's Dojo. He asks for Cave. Another guy says he is Cave. The Sandan say b/s, I want to see Cave. Cave comes out from back and the Sandan asks him, could you please show me your Aikido certification from Hombu Dojo, Japan?

Cave says: "Um I forgot it at home but I can bring it in another time..." The Sandan smiles and says OK, please demonstrate Ukemi for me (simple forward breakfall), in response to which Cave does a bow. This from a Shihan in Aikido. The Sandan the demonstrates Ukemi and a couple of other things. Said Sandan then proceeds to demonstrate Aikido against Cave's best student on the floor and basically gives the floor a good cleaning with the guys ass.

He then further proceeds to take down O'Sensei's picture from the dojo wall and tells Cave that if he sees that portrait in that dojo again, he will be very very displeased indeed. He then writes his cellphone number on the wall, and says "If you want to learn true Aikido, phone me." The next week something like eight of Paul Cave's students join the Aikido school.

What I think should happen is all the real khali,muy tai, hapkido, kickboxing, knife, bjj etc etc teachers should also go to Cave's "School" and test his knowledge practically. I would especially love to see a couple of real MMA guys bust in there. By the way how does a guy, who recieved his goju ryu blackbelt from his dad, suddenly become a Shihan or 110th dan superhero in every fighting style on the planet? Does he drink the water that runs out of Koeberg?

In any case, any person with an iota of intelligence, who sees the guy getting out of that ridiculous van of his, and sees how he looks, will immediately know what he is dealing with. Or simply just look at his marketing material spred all around Cape Town. It is so full of bullsh*tttt, it looks like used toilet paper.

And anyone who says that Paul Cave and his buddy did anything for MMA, No Rules or even the good name of any martial art anywhere, is also full of it. This type of guy makes martial arts look like something for tappits and damduikers.

Just my 2c worth.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 5:08am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey thanks for the reply, tell me have you been there before? Do you know what it looks like? And also where i could find him, what do you do... sorry im a bit stupid with the abbriviations, I know BJJ is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu if im not mistaken but i see by ur style it says GJJ what is that? Do you also fight, do you know of sum1 who can teach me? Are you a instructor or seansei or something? Im sorry for all the questions lol but im really intrested to do some for of fighting, did u train there already or can you help me by telling me where to go please please! Thanks alot I really appreciate ur reply its very enlightening...

Pony

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 5:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pony

No problem. Yes I have been to Cave's place, won't go again. I have also subsequently seen his guys "fighting." It is all aggression and anger and very little technique. They basicaly try to overwhelm the opponent with pure aggression and fright, but they will see their arse well against any patient or experienced opponent. GJJ = Gracie Jiu Jitsu. graciejj.co.za. Just started there recently. Very professional, NO B/S whatsoever. Well priced, well organised. No I am not an instructor at all. I am an eternal student and someone who has had to use fighting in work situations. I used to do Aikido and Tae Kwando but since I am into CQP (Close Quarters Protection) from time to time, I need something more practical, as both Aikido and Tae Kwando both need space to be fully effective, which is often just not available at close quarters. Also, Aikido is known as "the art of peace" where fighting is only approved when you have no other choice, even to the point of running away. Still I would not make the mistake of cornering a well experienced Aikidoka. You will be hit with mother earth so hard you might be afraid to walk upon her ever again.

So if you have a lot of energy that you want redirected in a practical self defence art, GJJ is perfect for that and forms a very solid basis for any direction your desire for martial arts may take you on later.

Respect

Jucedupp
    Last edited by jucedupp; 3/26/2009 5:32am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:06am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow checked out the website it looks great, the class you went to before you went to before you attended MrGracie's club where was that? because i got a pamflet (a yellow one) saying that there is a class in bellville area... So what is the one you went to in town itself???

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:12am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O if you are wondering i am reffering to the one of Mr Shihan cave's place, is there one in town? or where did you go?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:20am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pony

What class, the Aikido one? Or the GJJ? There are only two recognised GJJ schools in CT, one in Town and one in Parklands. There is no Aikido School in Belville as far as I know. There is one in Stellenbosch, one in Town, one at UCT, one in Fishoek, and I think one in Brackenfell.

They are the only official Aikikai Aikido schools in CT area. Look at their website (not so good) at www.aikikai.co.za

I would recommend the school in Stellenbosch as it is run by Etienne Venter who is a very experienced and well respected (also 3rd or fourth Dan) teacher. I think he also runs the school in Brackenfell and they may have started one in Bellville again. That may be the flyer you got.

Respect

Jucedupp

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pony

I only went there once (to have a look), it was at a place in Bellville, but it has subsequently closed down. I did not see Paul Cave there, but I did see his students working out there. I did however see PC getting out of that stupid penis-envy van of his somewhere else later on. Can't remember where, I think it was in Town.

Cheers

Juced

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jees sounds like you really dont like the PC dojos, hahaha, did anyone even help you there, because im askin is if PC wasnt there how the hell did they train? where there other people? like i mean senior guys to help like brown or black belts? How long ago was this? No no i dont want to do aikido I am so intrested in BJJ with Mr Gracie is that what I must call him? Dont want to be rude and stuff, i know there are rules and regulations. And may I come look sometime?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 8:51am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you maybe ask Mr Gracie if i could come and have a look sometime next month?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2009 9:24am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pony

Yes u are right, I do not like PC, false advertising and general disrespect that shows for true martial arts teachers who have worked years and years at perfecting their art. It is exactly the same as these karate schools who award 1st Dan to schoolboys. Bullsh*tttttt.

I also do not like the fact that people are getting ripped off thinking that they are getting trained in multiple martial arts when in truth the head of the school is merely somewhat adept at goju ryu, and adds on stuff as he thinks it should be and then decides to call himself Shihan. It's like some banana republic corporal promoting himself to general.

Seventh Dan is not just a grade it is a mark of distinction and honour and respect amongst peers, telling people that the bearer not only practices but is seen as a master among masters. For instance, in Aikido you are very unlikely to reach Shihan below the age of 60.

In the class you are referring to, yes, one of Paul Cave's instructors was there and I did talk to him about the school beforehand. I did also see how the class was conducted. So, no I do not simply suck it out of my arse. I have seen many classes in many arts and I know the difference between the instruction in solid technique and the promotion of senseless anger and violence. The one guy was actually sitting there, red in the face, his veins popping out, going "Grrrr, I am so f-ing aggro..." before the class even started, and the teacher was doing nothing to redirect the guy's aggression, in fact as the class progressed, the guy was only getting more aggro. No skill. Just aggression. This pisses me off to no end, as you can probably see.

In regards to Jiu Jitsu, you are unlikely to meet Mr. Gracie, as the originator of Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Mr Helio Gracie, is sadly no longer alive. Gracie Jiu Jitsu is Brazillian Jiu Jitsu based on a more street-fighting orientation, rather than sport or competition jiu jitsu. His sons, grandsons, nephews etc, do still travel the world and one of them is coming to the Academy next month from Brazil, I think. But the Gracies are all in the US and Brazil etc. The guys you have to speak to locally are Gary or James on 0861 472243. And they are oficially recognised as the GJJ instructors in Cape Town Area.

Just give them a call and you can come join a class for free. Just call them beforehand. These guys are really relaxed. There is none of the traditional Japanese "respect" issues, other than leaving your ego at the door. And understanding that these guys could probably break the undertaker's back while having a beer. :icon_thum Just kidding.

Cheers

Juced
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast