Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A new low

Most here who've been in the game for awhile have seen the myriad ways some organizations fleece the paying populace. Expensive contracts, cheap uniforms/equipment through the dojo, required seminars, etc, etc, etc.

BUT, has anyone ever heard of the below in any sport?

Quote Originally Posted by loop35 View Post
    *If you win a trophy, you have to pay for it. lol that feels weird to me.
    loop35,

How do you know this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 5:00pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.kickboxing.co.za/dojos/dojo-etiquette.html

The most interesting rules include:

Never practice Kumite (sparring) unless an instructor in present. When practising against a higher grade, do your very best to show respect for their grade. Remember that they have your lower grade in mind and will not be fighting to their capabilities.

This reminds me of one time I rasteiraed a guy at another capoeira group and he got in my face and yelled that I had to "respect the cord" and I should "never ever do that" and it "disrespected the old mestres." Since in my group if you can get that kind of takedown in on a higher cord you will often be congratulated it made this guy come across as a whiny ***** and I'll never play capoeira with this other group again. Is this policy in place to prevent upper belts from getting their ass kicked and realize they threw money down a hole?

Do not challenge a higher grade.

As in don't be a know it all douche or don't roll with a higher grade? If it means the latter than **** you I'll roll with who I damn well please and if I win so what?

No swearing, loud laughter or bad language will be accepted during training. Treat your training seriously.

Loud laughter?

Your GI must be clean and neat at all times. Your belt should be aired dry but never washed, as it symbolically contains the spirit of your hard training.

Oh that old belt myth where people try to out-Japanese the Japanese and the belt contains magic ninjer chi fireball power from all my hard work.

Oh yeah, I'm fine with tradition and bowing and "Osu!" or what have you but some of the stuff on this thread and PC's website sounds cultish and like gaijin trying way too hard at some faux-Asian honor crap and spreading themselves too thin about arts they know nothing about rather than focusing it down and just training.
    Last edited by Epeeist; 8/31/2010 5:18pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 1:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: GJJ Newbie / TKD Brown4

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Epeeist View Post

The most interesting rules include:

Never practice Kumite (sparring) unless an instructor in present. When practising against a higher grade, do your very best to show respect for their grade. Remember that they have your lower grade in mind and will not be fighting to their capabilities.
    So that he (the instructor) can be there to unexpectedly punch you, thereby demonstrating his awesome abilities and the essential need to be ready (and absolutely macho-man willing) to pre-emptively strike anyone who comes close enough to you, especially those you should be able to trust to have your back.

Do not challenge a higher grade.
    Because, technically, at this school, nobody has a higher grade, well, because well, there is no certified instructor. Still waiting for proof of that one. The silence is ear-shattering. (Oh I forgot. They probably decided not to grace our accusations with a reply...)

No swearing, loud laughter or bad language will be accepted during training. Treat your training seriously.

Loud laughter?
    Sorry, that was me. I went for the free class. ;)

Last edited by jucedupp; 9/01/2010 1:45am at . Reason: Typos

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 2:53am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first thing I noticed from the OP other than the BJJ claim was the Khali claim. Then I read this from a student;
    Quote Originally Posted by loop35 View Post

*I have been there for a good few months and we have never been introduced to knife fighting and one or two lessons kali, although it is advertised well.
    Not sure if this has been addressed yet I may have missed it as I skimmed over the thread. What the hell is Khali? Is he referring to FMA? I've always seen it spelled Kali. Also, Kali for the most part is sort of a generic umbrella term for FMA, although some argue Kali is the older representation of the art.

Anyone know what system of experience this guy has with the art? Is there any stick work at all in class? Or does this guy just offer the veritable "chinese buffet" of martial arts?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 3:09am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jspeedy:

AFAIK, this guy has a 1st level black belt in Goyu Ryu, awarded by his father. As far as anybody has been able to ascertain, after that he has been awarded further Dan by the very organisation of which he is either founder / founding member or management.

No external qualification in any art that he can or has provided certification for, despite for numerous calls for just that, from certified instructors of just about all the arts he claims to be able to teach, right through to prospective students.

And the list of claimed yet uncertified(or -able) skills is longer than my arm.

Yet he uses this to entice new students all over the Western Cape.

I don't have to explain the ethics of that. The closest to any truthful answer anyone has been able to get from this school was something about them watching a lot of DVDs.

I just wish all the sensei and instructurs in CT would challenge this guy and his entire school to a throwdown "win or close down" tournament. For each of the styles he claims to instruct. That would be awesome. Pink slips.

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 4:32am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why dont anyone walk into PCs classes and tell him he is fake? If you ask me his bullshit is paying for his fancy cars and bikes. But he never seems to be in class. There are senior instructors under him that are really good. Not only in what they do, but as teachers. I just hope they never become as arrogant as him.

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 6:37am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi guys I've read this thread and alot of what most of you claim to be bad discipline for the arts are encourageing the exact same frowned upon approaches. I am a student of the NMA and thoroughly enjoy my time there, yes at times class does get boring but so it goes for all other sports. As for the credentials most of you ask for, I feel as students yourself the manner in which it was asked was more pessimistic than optimistic. Yes we all have questions and would like it to be answered, but ask yourself if you deserve an answer first, coz in life others owe you nothing.other schools and forms of MA might upon request give their credentials without hassle but why do you deserve to know would be my main question.( and don't get me wrong I'm not a drone,I myself have thought about leaving but after a good and enlightening chat decided to stay and what has developed from the dojo where I train was a close nit group)
    the name of the academy shouldn't be confused with MMA as it basically an institution that provides different forms of training from different styles.Although as of next year amateur MMA events will be hosted under ISKA standards, the NMA is the only ISKA sanctioned institution on the African continent of which Shihan Cave is the president. ISKA is about sport martial arts and thats what the academy focusses on, although taking kickboxing to a pro-am level can be arranged it requires serious training and commitment and supervised progress from authorised NMA sempai's/sensei's.
    The Iska creditation can be viewed on the ISKA website.

http://www.magcsa.co.za/style-specif...s-blocks-.aspx

above is a link to which the NMA has a block, this means that in SA only the institutions listed below can provide a student with national colours,so in all the NMA is registered with SASCOC,ISKA, MA & GC and WAKO. I'm sure these bodies will not allow affiliation or registration if the head instructor does not have the required credentials.
    And for the record DESTINY our big event held in August every year,it is open, people from Takedown etc have even come to compete. My sparring partner won over a jiu jitsu teacher this year so the competition is intense and naming and shaming is not my style being humble in defeat is key.

cheers

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 7:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the credentials most of you ask for, I feel as students yourself the manner in which it was asked was more pessimistic than optimistic. Yes we all have questions and would like it to be answered, but ask yourself if you deserve an answer first, coz in life others owe you nothing.other schools and forms of MA might upon request give their credentials without hassle but why do you deserve to know would be my main question.
    Want the idiot-proof answer? People PAY for this! That's why. DO YOU GET IT? Would you pay someone for flight lessons if they could not prove to you they are a certified flight instructor? DO YOU GET IT NOW?

THIS GUY SAYS HE CAN TEACH STUFF WHEN HE CANNOT PROVE THAT HE IS CERTIFIED TO TEACH THAT STUFF.

Again, do you get it?

Pssimistic? Of course. Do you accept everything you get told at face value?

Do I deserver an answer? Perhaps not. Do the people who pay him deserve an answer? YES. Do they get one? NO.

THUS HE IS A BULLSHITTER, BY DEFINITION.

above is a link to which the NMA has a block, this means that in SA only the institutions listed below can provide a student with national colours,so in all the NMA is registered with SASCOC,ISKA, MA & GC and WAKO. I'm sure these bodies will not allow affiliation or registration if the head instructor does not have the required credentials.
    Really? So Macdonalds will not sell you a Franchise if you come up with the money? Areyou trying to be super-naive?

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 7:26am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take the kali out your ass pal, no need to get this frustrated.
    Super-naive? you shouldn't be so quick to judge, whether he payed for it or not he is sanctioned under institutions who govern MMA go read ISKA's website.
    If you had any balls of your own, you'd conduct yourself in a proper and mature manner, then approach the parties concerned for answer's that you looking for. :icon_rr:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 7:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take the kali out your ass pal, no need to get this frustrated.
    Super-naive? you shouldn't be so quick to judge, whether he payed for it or not he is sanctioned under institutions who govern MMA go read ISKA's website.
    If you had any balls of your own, you'd conduct yourself in a proper and mature manner, then approach the parties concerned for answer's that you looking for.
    I'm not frustrated. Just tired of people blindly defending lies at the cost of girls and kids who want to get taught self defense, and pay money for it, to a guy who cannot prove that he knows more about it than what he got from watching a DVD. And then, when they actually have to one day use these "shihan taught" techniques, realise that it is a pot of bull.

Will you believe anything I say if I slap shihan in front of my name and buy a big-ass truck? Or will you actually ask me to prove that I am a bona-fide shihan before handing you my money? And, if you asked me nicely, would you still pay me if I couldn't produce these under some b/s excuse and even got hardass with you about it?

READ NICELY, as you said you did. This guy, has been approached and asked nicely kindly, rudely, directly and indirectly, in every wich way, to pretty please, sweetly, prove that he is a Shihan in ANYTHING. In person, at his dojo, by students of his, prospective students, other sensei, a lot of other people. Every time he comes up with replies like "I left it at home." That one, specifically when he was asked by a local Cape Town certified third Dan Aikido instructor to furnish his Aikido certification.

Do you really think there are NO institutions that in it only for the money? Who just want to get more dojo's under their banner and do not care whether the instructors are certified or not? Do you see why I call assumptions like that naive?

Why is the NMA / ISKA not recognised by other established organisations like Hombu Aikikai in Japan, one of the oldest and most respected martial arts institutions in the world? I bet you can guess the answer.

Do you honestly think there are no such things as McDojo's and by all evidence (or glaring lack of proof) that Paul Cave's school is not one of them?

Again. I would love ANY NMA/ISKA academy's senior students to go and challenge some , lert's say a Gracie purple belt and see if "We watch a lot of DVD's" (quote) will cut it.

I am not trying to offend you. But please. People who do not know to ask these questions are being ripped off. They pay to be taught by a qualified guy. Now you are saying that the fact that ISKA recognises him is enough proof. Why can he not just simply put his (insert whatever art) certification (or photocopies thereof) in a cheap frame on his dojo wall? Is that a ridicoulous request? Is that not the way it is done in the martial arts world?
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 LastLast