Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 9:28am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Polyphasic Sleep

Is anyone else on Bullshido polyphasic? I've done it off and on for years and started back up a few weeks ago because I always feel so much better when I'm doing that instead of sleeping 8 hours at a time.
    The way it works for anyone who doesn't know is that you sleep 20-40 minutes every 4 hours. I do 30 minutes at 7:30, 11:30, 3:30 am/pm. It takes about 2 weeks to get acclimated to it, after which you drop to sleep within 3-5 minutes and enter REM sleep almost immediately. You have vivid dreams and wake up completely refreshed after about 20 minutes.
    The longest period I previously did it for was 8 months when I was a system admin for a company with offices in California, Athens, and London. Since I had to support all 3 time zones I was awake 24 hours a day for long stretches at a time. Going polyphasic was almost a necessity at that point. Since then I've done it whenever my work schedule allows me to.

Has anyone else tried it? Would anyone like to start a diatribe about how I'll hallucinate and die? I've known people who did it for 2-3 years at a time with no ill effects and I've never suffered any ill effects from it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting that you'd bring this up at this time as I was thinking about a recent study.

I cannot remember where the study occured but it was on national television within the past couple of weeks.

Basically, the recommened minumum for long term was 7 hours. Less was found to reduce the amount of a specific hormone that helps prevent calcium buildup on the arterial walls. Hardening of the arteries so to speak.

I used to think that my usual 5-6 hours sleep was a good thing. This study gave question to that, particularly as I have hit middle age.

Anyone else that heard of this study have a link? A quick search only produced:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1025075844.htm

http://www.sleep-problems-nomore.com...and_Sleep.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:27am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher were polyphasic sleepers, I believe. My study therefore concludes that polyphasic sleep renders 50% of its subjects mad and evil, and the other 50% bald.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    It takes about 2 weeks to get acclimated to it, after which you drop to sleep within 3-5 minutes and enter REM sleep almost immediately.
    Evidence to support the claim of entering REM sleep "almost immediately", please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^^

Exactly

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 12:07pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Margaret Thatcher used polyphasic sleeping patterns. What she did was just try and get by on 2 hours a night.

Which explains a lot really....
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    without having any of the OPs anecdotal evidence, i would have said this would bring on delirium after a week or so. but, this is a new idea to me, so, /subscribe
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 6:03pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tried it twice. Lasted about a month both times. I don't think it really worked for me -- the first couple of weeks were OK, but after a month I was completely sleep-deprived -- but it was fun and I'll probably do it again, see if I can get it right next time.

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 8:22pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about polyphasic sleep. But as for.......

Quote:Evidence to support the claim of entering REM sleep "almost immediately", please?

All I have is my own expierence, which dosen't exactly qualify as hard evidence for those who aren't me. But on many occasions i've fallen asleep in class, driving.,or any place where I can sit still for five or more minutes. Shortly after sitting still for a minute or so (jello neck syndrome) I'll fall asleep & I have the wierdest thoughts that turn into dreams then i'll be woken(i'm gonna say woken is a real word) up by whoever is around me and tell them about the crazy dream i just had. I'm sure somone out there has had something similiar to this happen to them.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/05/2009 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you catch the emphasis on REM sleep in my question?

Aside: I know some people can drop quickly, but given that you're falling asleep at the wheel... that sounds kind of like narcolepsy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast