Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 6:17am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    I never understood people's phobia when it comes to multivitamins.

Yes, our ancestors got by without them when they were killing hairy animals with pointy sticks or when Grog told Guck'tlk'gka "holy fucking **** dude, if I put this seed on the ground instead of munching it, it will grow into a plant that will give me more seeds!!(more than 1 - they didn't have numbers back then)."

They were close to nature and mother earth and all that ****. But they were usually malnourished, deficient in one nutrient or another, full of stomach parasites, and died by the age of 30 or something like that.

Science is good. Trying to eat good foods is good. Turning one back's to supplements is not - if that's the case, let's abandon penicilin and soap!!! Get your multis!

[gratuitous rant directed to the close-to-nature hippies]
    This has nothing to do with hippiness and everything to do with not wasting money.
    Millions of people happily live into their 80s and beyond without taking a multivitamin or other quasi-scientific dietary suppliment their entire lives.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/01/2009 3:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    This has nothing to do with hippiness
    For you, maybe. For everyone who goes "OH NOEZ ITS ARTIFICIAL", not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2009 5:54am

Style: diet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the responses and sorry for the late reply.

the main reason i was asking was according to nutritiondata.com frozen carrots boiled have 16927IU of vitamin A which is 339% of my daily intake and way above the upper RDA limit. so i was wondering if that was correct since lately ive been adding 50g of carrots with my tea.

also i have nothing against multi vits, i currently take C,D, omega-3 sups. but the multi vit i take has a lot of vit a already and i dont want to be getting way more vit a then i need.

also veges have the added benefit of fiber and calories.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/07/2009 1:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is this:

-Vitamin A (retinol) is a fat-soluble vitamin
    -The human body's not great at disposing of excess
    -If you absorb more of it than your body can use or dispose of, your liver starts storing the excess (up to a year's worth, IIRC)
    -Once your liver's absorbed all it can, you wind up with hypervitaminosis A, which is very bad news.

As such, you need to stay within a window of vitamin A consumption, and that window's very narrow relative to other vitamins (say, vitamin D).

But here's the kicker: to the best of my knowledge, carrots do not contain retinol. Instead, they contain a Vitamin A precursor called - get this - carotene.

Carotene can be converted into retinol by your body, but...

Retinol formation appears to be inversely influenced by previous vitamin A intake, the amount of material given and current vitamin A status.
    -Thurnham, "Bioequivalence of β-carotene and retinol"

In other words, you're unlikely to overdose on vitamin A solely by having a high intake of carotenes. You may get carotenoderma, which is... more noticeable, but less severe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12