Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 2:26pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spamurai13
    However, in the end, I don't think this warrants you having to cease training.

Good luck
    That's cool... I think I'll wait to be frozen and then train again with them covered? I assumed they spread around the body via auto innoculation?

Another quick question... what about other normal activities such as sleeping (risk of auto-innoculation), sex (obvious reasons), working with kids (they have a habit of grabbing your arm) etc?

Sorry to sound obsessed but I really don't want to wake up tomorrow with a whole body full of molloscum spots if at all possible :p

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 5:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JabCrossHook
    My doctor's said I'm still fine to train/do whatever as it's not that contagious, but I'm not convinced!
    Not contagious? WTF? Did your Dr. explain how the hell you contracted it if it's not contagious? Ive always thought molluscum was contagious albeit not a very serious issue.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 5:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JabCrossHook
    That's cool... I think I'll wait to be frozen and then train again with them covered?
    I do realise how annoying missing training can be as I have had to take time off because of getting a Staph infection in the past, which sucked as I had spent weeks getting ready for a comp I had to pull out of at short notice.

Skin infections are far more common in grappling than people would like, but in most cases can easily be treated with over the counter treatments, antibiotics and a bit of common sense. Taking time out is required to stop it being spread around to the rest of the gym, my training partners would not be happy to roll with somebody who has a contagious skin condition even if it was covered.
    • Since molluscum contagiosum is not easily treated and potentially takes a long time to clear, why would you want to go back before all the lesions have healed and risk passing it on?
    • If the roles were reversed would you be willing to spar with someone who has molluscum contagiosum?
    • Are your coaches going to let you back on the mat with an active infection?
    Not telling my coach, passing it on to a training partner and it turning out I knew that it could happen, would probably result in me looking for a new club...

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wiki says that it's normally sexually transmitted.

Time to fess up dude.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 6:06pm

Style: Southern Kung Fu, BJJ, AK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as it being contagious, indeed it can be. Other people bring up a valid point. It is ultimately up to you and your coach.

as for the STD component. The bottom line is that HPV is everywhere, not just on genitals. So as long as you don't have on your junk, its unlikely that you would pass the cervical varieties of HPV to any partners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 9:37pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People, especially kids, mainly get it from having contact with people who aren't big into personal hygiene.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 12:55pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bottom line: It transmits very easily from one person to another if the other person isn't immune. There's no way to know who is, and who isn't. I had it for 3 months on my arms, legs and a little on my abdomen and had regular contact with my wife, and she didn't show it at all. The expensive medication I mentioned earlier is the same one someone else said was for genital warts. Worked great. Any spot I put it on was gone in 2-3 days. If you can get it, and can afford it that's my recommendation as freezing them off takes a while to heal back. Most doctor's are probably hesitant to prescribe it because it's not technically for molluscum, and it's generally pretty damn expensive.

edit: IIRC it's called Aldera.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 3:16pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dermatologists usually have a lot of samples to give out so they don't have to perscribe a lot.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 7:25pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, they actually gave me samples of the stuff first to see if it worked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2009 2:20am

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfalfa
    Since molluscum contagiosum is not easily treated and potentially takes a long time to clear, why would you want to go back before all the lesions have healed and risk passing it on?
    Hence the question about how contagious the thing is if it was all covered with a rashguard. I'm worried about spreading the thing which is why I'm asking about how/when to next train. Seems like I'm getting varied answers!

If the roles were reversed would you be willing to spar with someone who has molluscum contagiosum?
    Apparently I already have :p Point taken - not very. Although if I knew it wasn't a problem if it was covered, it wouldn't bother me!

Thanks for the answers guys :)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast