Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 5:59pm

Style: Kickboxing, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Molluscum Infection :(

Hey guys. Basically I've been lucky enough to contract molluscum contagiosum (especially annoying since most adults are apparently immune) and I'm almost 100% sure it came from judo training. My doctor's given me some penicillin to take out the bacterial infection (some of the molluscum have become infected) then he's gonna cryo the spots.

My question is how long will this put me out of training for? I'm reading websites which say 6 months is pretty standard. I can't have to just sit at home and not train for 6 months can I? My doctor's said I'm still fine to train/do whatever as it's not that contagious, but I'm not convinced!

Anyone have any experience with this crap? What's the best way to go? I've got ugly looking spots all down my arm and I don't like them one bit! :/

Cheers :)

EDIT: EVERYONE wear a rashguard to do judo... you don't need this ****! I'll never train without one now!
    Last edited by JabCrossHook; 1/29/2009 6:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 7:31pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely wear a rashguard and immediately call your sensei/coach and tell him if he doesn't know already. Those mats need to be disinfected asap. I'd wait to get on the mat until any open lesions heal up (if any are open and bleeding or leaking fluid). Even with a rash guard, you want to do the courteous thing and not risk spreading it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the problem with judo... mats hardly ever seem to be cleaned (at least over here in the UK). None are open or leaking - just a load of spots from my wrist to my shoulder.

I'll willingly not train if theres a risk of it spreading... the doctor didnt seem bothered as he prodded/poked it though :/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 7:57pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't take you out of training for six months. One of my friends got it and did exactly what you said - antibiotics followed up by spot treatment. After a week he was able to roll again. I'd suggest, if you're more susceptible to infections, that you get some specialized disinfectant specificially made for combat athletes and that you wash your gear every night (bleach and hot water ftw) and that you shower after every single training session.

Trust me bro, there are worse things.

See: Herpes gladiatorum, staph, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 8:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    10 days I take the pills then I get them frozen... there's so many of the fuckers though that I dunno how long it'll take... once theyve been frozen/healed I can roll again? Or can I roll before then if it'scovered by a rashguard (it would be as it's on the arm).

Hell I know there's worse stuff... this isn't dangerous or debilitating it's just shitty! At least with staph I could tell some interesting story rather than just saying 'I got covered in acne from a judo session' :)

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 12:30am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had it, and was out for 3 months. It took repeated trips to a dermatologist to scrape them off. Then they decided to try a really expensive cream that's only got like a 40% chance of working. Luckily I had great prescription coverage and didn't pay a dime, and it worked like a charm on me. I was out so long too because I had it up both arms, and showing on my legs as well so it took a lot to get rid of. If yours is pretty localized you could be back quick.

As a sad aside, I had to miss the last Atlanta Mega because of that stuff!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 2:27am

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had it and it got so bad that there were too many to freeze or zap off. Dermatologist gave me a perscription for genital warts and that stuff worked like a charm and I was only out a couple of weeks. Keep in mind this virus, in the wart family, is extremely contagious and everyone can get it sooner or later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molluscum_contagiosum
    Last edited by JRT6; 1/30/2009 2:32am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's so many conflicting reports on how contagious it actually is! I've heard that 90% of adults are immune, that it's VERY contagious and that it's not very contagious at all!

Mine's from my shoulder to my wrist on one arm and the doctor said he'd work his way up :/ Theres a fair few spots so who knows! I've been off for a while now and could really do without having 3 months off training!

Seems everyone's had different treatments too!

EDIT: apparently once the spots are gone there's no chance of transmitting it to another person. Does that mean in theory that once the last one's been scraped (assuming no others pop up), I can trainas normal? :)
    Last edited by JabCrossHook; 1/30/2009 12:28pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 12:29pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JabCrossHook
    There's so many conflicting reports on how contagious it actually is! I've heard that 90% of adults are immune, that it's VERY contagious and that it's not very contagious at all!

Mine's from my shoulder to my wrist on one arm and the doctor said he'd work his way up :/ Theres a fair few spots so who knows! I've been off for a while now and could really do without having 3 months off training!

Seems everyone's had different treatments too!

EDIT: apparently once the spots are gone there's no chance of transmitting it to another person. Does that mean in theory that once the last one's been scraped (assuming no others pop up), I can trainas normal? :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molluscum_contagiosum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 1:51pm

Style: Southern Kung Fu, BJJ, AK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A word of warning. If it really is mollucum contagiosum, it is due to the HPV virus (the same one that females get PAP smears for). However, as your doctor may have told you, it certainly does not cause cancer on the skin). As for it being contagious, except for those who are immunocompromised (HIV or transplant pts), who gets them is pretty random.

I think the statement regarding all adults being immune is a little misleading. Yes, most adults with normal immune systems will at the most get warts, which are hardly life threatening. For women, they could potentially develop cervical cancer depending on the serotype of HPV. It has also recently been postulated to cause some head and neck cancers, but there isn't a lot of evidence of that yet. For men as I mentioned above, they usually will develop penile warts. Yes HPV is sexually transmitted. No, just because you have MC does not mean that you contracted it from a partner. How the virus makes the warts on other parts of the body is not clearly understood.

the antibiotics as you mentioned are for the skin infection not the warts themselves. Sans the infection, antibiotics wont do a thing.

As per the following article:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030315/1233.html

it is indeed spread via contact with the lesions (which is perhaps the easiest way to get them) so the advice about wearing a rash guard is quite reasonable. Perhaps even taping/wrapping the lesions when you train is another alternative.

For treatment, believe it or not, you can actually do almost as good of a job as a dermatologist/ any other doctor could. If the warts get large and painful, you can go to your pharmacy and get some trichloracetic acid. When I did my pediatrics rotation, we dealt with this quite often. The pediatrician would first shave the top of the wart off and then freeze it. While there isn't very much hardcore evidence based data to support this, the thought is that by shaving off the top of the wart, you remove the hardened epidermis and the softer layer underneath will absorb the acid better (Caution, do not shave it until it bleeds, just shave the rough cap off). In the end, the most powerful treatment is your own healthy immune system and with all these treatments, it may still take months to resolve. So that's why I think wrapping it while training is your best bet.

However, in the end, I don't think this warrants you having to cease training.

Good luck
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast