Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 4:03pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What Old Judo/Bjj Books and Manuals do you Own?

After reading this thread posted by fug here:, on Mtripp's article on the judo/bjj connection he had wrote quite a few years back, it inspired me to make this thread to shed light on some old judo/bjj manuals people may have in their collection.

I myself have very few martial arts books of my own, but I do happen to own one judo manual from 1953 titled, "Official judo; the authentic guide to sport judo and self-defense."
    (By Charles Yerkow)

It boasts to have nearly 200 action photographs, and claims that, "Girls, too, can learn to do effective footsweeps." It is also an official judo publication approved by the A.A.U. judo committee and the Amateur Judo Association of the U.S.A.

Its original newsstand edition price was 50 cents, but I got for a bargain of 25 cents at a local book fair.

I might post the forward of the manual here for those who care to know what is in the book, but I'll save that for later. Right now I want to know who has old judo/bjj books that they would care to share with us for the benefit of knowledge?

I would happily post some picks of some of the photos in the manual, but I don't have a camera I can hook up to my computer. Hopefully in the near future, I can muster up the funds to get a digital camera so I can share with you all some of the vintage judo that is portrayed.
    It's quite awesome in a "that o goshi sure looks spiffy, Mr. Sensei" kind of way.

So if any of you judo history buffs out there are willing to share some info you learned from a vintage judo book you have on your person, I am all ears.
    And if possible, try to get pictures of the book you own to verify it.

Thanks everybody,

ZoA.

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A fellow instructor got my karate teacher Mifune's Canon of Judo...in the hardcover-covered-in-keikogi-material limited edition.

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a 1956 edition of Kano's Kodokan manual. Great pix--including some old historical pre-Judo JJ shots--excellent explanations of waza (if you're okay with reading Japanese...if not, I believe there are more recent, translated, editions). Just call it The Source.

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 5:03pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    I have a 1956 edition of Kano's Kodokan manual. Great pix--including some old historical pre-Judo JJ shots--excellent explanations of waza (if you're okay with reading Japanese...if not, I believe there are more recent, translated, editions). Just call it The Source.
    Nice.

If you read Japanese, would you be humble enough to translate some lines from the book you have, or at least find a way to post some photos from the book on the web? That would be awesome if you could do that.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 5:12pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feldenkrais's Higher Judo: Groundwork is the only old one I have.

Looking to get my hands on The Canon of Judo soon and hopefully a pdf of one of Oda's books (which have recently gone into public domain, I believe).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2009 8:39pm

Style: TKD ITF, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have:

Canon of Judo (1962 edition, with the judogi cover)
    Judo: Forty-one Lessons in the Moden Science of Jiu-Jitsu (1944 edition, Kuwashima and Welch)
    Judo en la defensa personal aplicada al cuerpo a cuerpo (1945, Alfredo M. García Arzua)

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 8:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenOfAnger
    Nice.

If you read Japanese, would you be humble enough to translate some lines from the book you have, or at least find a way to post some photos from the book on the web? That would be awesome if you could do that.
    Me? Post pictures?

You have no idea how much you've overestimated my screen-fu.

Here's the ISBN: 4-06-207415-X

Amazon (or somebody who's not a compu-tard like me) might be able to help.

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 12:56pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand
    Me? Post pictures?

You have no idea how much you've overestimated my screen-fu.

Here's the ISBN: 4-06-207415-X

Amazon (or somebody who's not a compu-tard like me) might be able to help.
    You have a 1956 book with a ISBN number? When was it actually printed?

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 1:06pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Off the top of my head, I have a 1st edition, 1st printing of Canon of Judo, a 1913 edition of EJ Harrison's Fighting Spirit of Japan, most of the judo books Harrison translated(Kawaishi's Method of Judo, My Method of Self Defense, Oda's book of groundwork, Yukio tani's book on jiu jitsu) Uyenishi's Textbook of Jujitsu as practiced in japan, 3 of Feldenkrais' books in English(and another in french), a 1955 edition of kodokan Judo, a 1918 book called JIU-DO a selection of kodokwan methods, an autographed copy of William Jacomb's Practical Self defense, a copy of Jacomb's Boxing and Bayonet, various self defense, jiu jitsu and Combative books going back to 1899, a large selection of WWII combatives books. Basically a 4 shelf bookcase with nothing but judo/jiu jitsu and related books. You really want pictures of them all?

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 3:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin
    You have a 1956 book with a ISBN number? When was it actually printed?
    Print: "Copyright Kodokan 1995."

First Published: "Showa 31" (1956).
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 1/30/2009 3:26pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast