3/23/2009 12:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Well, the point I was getting at was that you should buy some straps =P
    Kintanon,

Emevas is right.

Just keep in mind that using straps will somewhat negate the grip training element of the deadlift, but it's better to use straps and lift than not lift at all.

Also, using a Hook grip might be beneficial before resorting to straps. It's awkward and it can hurt, but you'll get used to it. Pull-ups/Chins and general grip strength training may also be of benefit.

Good luck and congratulations on a new personal best!

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 12:27pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe, you need to get with the times. My latest Deadlift is 265. RAWR. And I can tell how much stronger my grip is by far. At NAGA I had 6 matches and I could still open my own water bottle at the end! >:) Lifting starts back tonight with upper body work, probably going light until I find out how my neck is feeling...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 12:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Hehe, you need to get with the times. My latest Deadlift is 265. RAWR. And I can tell how much stronger my grip is by far. At NAGA I had 6 matches and I could still open my own water bottle at the end! >:) Lifting starts back tonight with upper body work, probably going light until I find out how my neck is feeling...

Fantastic! Glad to hear your grip has improved. Did you end up sticking with a strapless overhand grip?

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 12:40pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. Strapless overhand is still it for me right now. I expect the numbers to go up more once my chiropractic treatment makes some more progress. The osteo-arthritis in my neck was pinching a nerve that was causing my left arm to lose a LOT of strength and my right arm to lose some as well. Especially on my grip.
    So as that improves I expect my deadlift to move up around 300.

I'm hoping to start squatting again sometime around june or july and get some numbers to compare and see what my current DL to Squat ratio is.

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 3:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    This is silly.

1) When you assume that full hamstring activation is a requirement for something to be considered a squat, you're generalizing from one form of squats (wide-stance low-bar) to all of them.
    2) "Thrown fully on the patella"? Given that you have to go through the range of motion of a shallow squat in order to perform a deep squat, this is hardly a recommendation for deep squats. If you meant that deep squats can't be done with as much weight, you should have said so.

As far as everything else you posted, I suspect that you're really just talking for the pleasure of hearing your own voice.
    And I suspect you speak from inside your own ass. If you'd pull your head out, you'd realize there's a big difference between passing through a range and stopping there. But then I also suspect you're the typical 135-lb, 17-year-old internet ninja.

I like hearing myself talk. It's better than listening to a bunch of girls making execuses for not squatting properly. I suppose you also only chin to your forehead and make sure the bar comes nowhere near your chest when you bench.

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 3:25pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OMFGLOL. Some noob just lambasted TheRuss, Master of the Graphs and Charts, for being an internet ninja who doesn't lift properly. Are you fucking KIDDING ME?!

SEARCH FUNCTION NOOB! TheRuss's WANG knows more about lifting than you do!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 3:58pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AngrySquatter View Post
    And I suspect you speak from inside your own ass. If you'd pull your head out, you'd realize there's a big difference between passing through a range and stopping there. But then I also suspect you're the typical 135-lb, 17-year-old internet ninja.

I like hearing myself talk. It's better than listening to a bunch of girls making execuses for not squatting properly. I suppose you also only chin to your forehead and make sure the bar comes nowhere near your chest when you bench.
    Intresting that you believe ROM defines hamstring activation, I'd figure most powerlifters squatting a ton and slightly high but who sit back with a wide stance and low bar have a **** load more hamstring activation than an oly lifter who squats high bar and very deep with about 400 pounds. Mechanics and load are just as important as depth in determining hamstring activation.

The entire weight on the patella is also... interesting. I believe the argument that you were desperately grasping at was that deeper squat allows activation of the VMO which can go to sleep in those who squat high (and runners) so VMO and hips activate simulatenously allowing proper patella tracking or something along those lines.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 7:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AngrySquatter View Post

Yup, that's me to a T.

Look, man, like I said earlier... you're arguing that if it's not below parallel, it's not a squat and not worth doing. Now take that (or your other posts), replace "below parallel" with "ass to ground", and try to rebut it.

I don't know why you're posting here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really, my main issue with Rippetoe's writing isn't even the writing itself, but the zealotry it's inspired. You have kids running around spreading "The Gospel of Starting Strength" and screaming "bad form" at Andy Bolton squatting 1200 and saying "ATG or NOTHING" when the man himself said ATG was a poor idea, and that there's only one way to squat and only one way to deadlift.

It's not as big a problem here, but I've had to "fix" some boards that were infected with this.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456