Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 12:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That would be both palms facing me, right? Then yes. I've heard that it's easier to use the alternating grip where one palm is facing away, but last time I tried that it almost blew my elbow out at a much lower weight....

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    That would be both palms facing me, right? Then yes. I've heard that it's easier to use the alternating grip where one palm is facing away, but last time I tried that it almost blew my elbow out at a much lower weight....
    Fair enough. In any case, add me to the list of people who find it unusual that you can squat significantly more than you can deadlift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:15pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it really that uncommon? I've always had a pathetically weak upper body compared to my lower. A ton of leg focused TKD meant that for a long time the only weight lifting I did was squats, leg press, leg extension and a **** ton of plyometrics. It wasn't until I started wrestling that I did anything else. So my grip strength was absolutely pathetic... But even so, I don't see how it would be surprising that I can lift more weight by supporting it across my shoulders and lifting with my legs than by holding it in my hands and lifting with my legs.... I never knew that it was odd.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:20pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My deadlift is much lower then my squat, but that's due to my form being god awful.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai (beginner)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't dead lifting with the double overhand grip better anyways? I'm currently deadlifting 150lbs ( I deep squat 135lbs-my bodyweight) now, and I plan to keep that grip throughout my lifting career. If I were to get on the capatains of crush program, wouldn't it be feasible to overhand deadlift up into the 300lbs range? I only say this because I only want to add 30 to 40 lbs to my frame, those lbs being in lean muscle.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:52pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Add me to the list of people who find deadlifting lower than your squat odd.

The targets I've been aiming for, and something I've read/been told is about relative, is 1.5x body weight squat, and 2x body weight deadlift.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 3:22pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so I squat ~200lbs. I can deadlift ~150lbs without my form going to pot. Am I a freak!?!?

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 3:39pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very odd to have that large of a differential in squats and deads.

I haven't deadlifted in ages, but back in high school I know that my squats were around 285, deadlifts in the neighborhood of 315 or so. Never really tracked maxes much after that, but generall my deads were +10 to 20% or so over my squats. Alternate grips for deads.

What is giving out when you deadlift? Wrists? Forearms? Hands?

Doing some very light cleans (get coach to teach form) might help with with grip/forearm strength if that is the problem. Cleans used to really give me some good Popeye forearms. Pullups or timed hangs from bar might also be a good one.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 3:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it really that uncommon?
    Yes, particularly to the extent you're showing.

But even so, I don't see how it would be surprising that I can lift more weight by supporting it across my shoulders and lifting with my legs than by holding it in my hands and lifting with my legs.... I never knew that it was odd.
    The depth of one's deadlift is determined by the length of your arms, the height of your shoulders, and the style of your pull (normal vs. sumo). For a given style of pull, it's basically fixed. As such, most people who squat (unequipped) more than they deadlift do so because their squats are shallower than their deadlifts - either they aren't squatting to a powerlifting-legal depth or, theoretically, they have arms that are disproportionately short relative to the height of their shoulders (and thus a longer pull).

Now, people who don't have a deeper deadlift than squat tend to have a heavier deadlift than squat for one or more of the following reasons:
    1) They use chalk/straps/hooks.
    2) They use mixed grip.
    3) They had a strong grip (relative to their leg/back drive) to begin with.
    4) They developed a strong grip by deadlifting and/or other exercises.

So your case is unusual because you apparently don't match any of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by elbines
    Isn't dead lifting with the double overhand grip better anyways?
    Better in the sense that it's symmetric? Yes.
    Better in the sense that you're less likely to hurt your arms? I believe so.
    But you won't be able to grip as much weight, so if your double-overhand grip is less than the rest of your pull, it'll be a limiting factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 3:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai (beginner)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see, thanks a lot.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast