Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 1:58am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Personal best deadlift! YAY!

Just had to brag, I just hit 200lbs on my deadlift. My previous personal best was 180 or 190 back in highschool and I struggled a lot with that since my grip would fail well before my legs did.
    About 1 minute ago I did 200 with ease. No grip problems at all. Woohoo! Now if I can get a squat rack and a bench I can work on getting up to 200 on the bench and 400 on the squats.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:11am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** YEAH! So I went and did 200 again, and it went up so smooth that I decided I could do more. Added 20 lbs to it. It was tough and my grip started to go, but I got it up and held it. So, new personal best deadlift is 220lbs. **** YEAH!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 7:03am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 9:55am

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How are you working toward a 400 squat with a 220 deadlift? If you can squat more than 300, I'm guessing you could probably be deadlifting a lot more if you tweaked your form/worked on your technique. Something's not right there.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 10:02am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, 10 years ago I was squatting 315. But I have no squat rack and haven't had one for years. So my squat is probably down around 250 or so by now, but I have no idea. It's generally been MUCH higher than my deadlift because my grip used to fail at ridiculously low weights. Since that's no longer the case my deadlift should be much closer to me squats. But I've just been doing relatively light front squats recently because I can only squat with whatever I can get up to chest height and hold....

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you find grip to be a problem in the future, get some straps or chalk. There's no point in letting your whole body suffer just because of grip.

Keep lifting dude.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 11:37am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to do powerlifting comps in college in the off-season (football). I can't remember ever seeing someone deadlift less than they squat. Just guessing, but I think you are either (1) not squatting properly (eg, not deeply enough) or (2) not deadlifting properly.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 12:17pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can deadlift more than I squat but I definitely need straps if I do that much (~400 lbs 1RM)
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 12:33pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Lamb
    I used to do powerlifting comps in college in the off-season (football). I can't remember ever seeing someone deadlift less than they squat. Just guessing, but I think you are either (1) not squatting properly (eg, not deeply enough) or (2) not deadlifting properly.
    That seems silly. When I was in highschool I could paralel squat 315lbs fairly easily and was working towards 400 at the time. But my deadlift never got higher than 180 as I recall and even those killed my wrists and fingers. It seems perfectly logical that someone with a horribly weak grip like myself but very strong legs would be able to squat much more than they deadlifted.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 12:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you using double-overhand grip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast