Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe
    I have this same surgery scheduled for 5 February.

It is something I'm looking forward to as it's been needed for years. The past year has been hell for pain when I exert pushing movements.

Get the spur removed or continue to suffer and risk more damage through time spent making matters worse.
    I will have to make a decision next week. So I may be getting under the knife shortly after - depending on what the MRI results are. Make sure you post as soon as you can, and I will do the same. If we can't train we can at least compare notes and rehab excersises ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 3:27pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had this surgery on both shoulders. The range of motion is an issue if there was a tear in the rotator cuff, especially if they have to reattach the rotator cuff tendon to the bone, as this will take a minimum of 6 months to heal to the point where you can safely put the kind of pressures lifting/BJJ will put on the repair.

Another point to be aware of is that the surgeon will most likely completely remove the CA (coracoacromial) ligament. While there is some debate as to how important this ligament is for us old farts, it does help stabilize the shoulder and can make it more likely that a shoulder dislocation can occur. I tap early on Americanas and Kimuras, just to be safe.

I had my second surgery in August of 07, and started Jits in May of 08, waiting 8 months mainly just to be sure I wasn't risking injuring anything. My Dr. told me a minimum of 6 months before he would recommend anything as rigirous as Jits.

I would recommend having the surgery, and following the PT's advice on range of motion and strengthing before restarting Jits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 4:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My doc didn't mention anything about slicing or re-atatching tendons. He only explained the part about removing the bone. He did say if the rotator cuff tendons are actually torn it is "a whole new ballgame". MRI is Saturday so I won't know until next week. I still have full range of motion - very painful motion mind you. I am hoping for the best.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 11:29pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the bone spur isn't undercutting a tendon now it will be. You're doing the right thing.

I'm a walking bone spur and have them all over the place. My doctor said the best thing us old fart athletes can do is stretch constantly so that the spurs don't grow unabated.
    Last edited by JRT6; 1/28/2009 11:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 12:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UPDATE:

I'm going under the knife this Friday. Took only a week to book the surgery. The only other date was in 2 weeks. But it is Friday the 13th - I will take what I can get.

Doc. looked at the MRI and there is (in his opinion) an 85% chance there is no serious tendon damage, and he will just grind off the spur. If there is tendon damage it goes from a 6 week recovery to 5 month recovery if he has to tie a tendon. I won't know until I wake up, since I don't want to schedule another surgery, I said "do what you have to do".

I am going to **** the Friday 13th myth up the ass. It is just a simple bone spur with no tendon damage. And if he does end up doing my rotator cuff, I know he did it just for the money. I still have my legs. TRIANGLE BITCH!!!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 12:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you made the right choice, and I wish you the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 12:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    I think you made the right choice, and I wish you the best.
    Thanks Russ. On top of this my bro is a Judoka who just tore his ACL. I will spread the good Bullshido vibe ...

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 1:40am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck to you, just remember that you can still grapple in your head. Take the time off to focus on strategy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 10:46am

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We workout so that we are heathier than people who don't but in the end we just get hurt slightly less often and in different ways.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    2/10/2009 11:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan
    Good luck to you, just remember that you can still grapple in your head. Take the time off to focus on strategy.
    I've had 2 back surgeries and grappling in my head helped keep me sane. Well... mostly sane.

Also Nihonto, take the time to heal properly. An extra couple days or weeks off the mat may help prevent an injury that keeps you away for months. And when you do get back on the mat, roll easy and slowly come back to 100%.

I wrote in another old thread that it helps to wear something on your injured body part to keep it in the forefront of your mind (wear a 4oz glove or something else on the side with the shoulder injury) . That will remind you and the people you are rolling with which side was injured. Your partner can quickly see if they are attacking your injured side and adjust their intensity accordingly or release and go for the other side.

Good luck!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast