Sponsored Links Spacer Image

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're going to toughen up your bones, don't be an idiot and hit hard objects. Hit a heavy bag with proper form.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 1:40pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox
    You might want to look into boxing drills where for example one person goes on the offence and the other just has to weather the storm, maybe throwing the odd counter punch... Thing is these are drills where you need to have a very experienced person paired off with the beginner. The noob has to be pushed just outside their comfort zone, not beaten into submission.
    This is exactly what I've been doing this morning. I would describe myself as having a weak chin and I don't like getting punched much, so I work very hard on my defense. Build up your student's confidence slowly. Give them the skills to protect themselves, so that they can stay calm in the ring knowing that most of the incoming won't necessarily knock them out. Then, once they have been banged once or twice, they'll have enough wit to stay calm, get back into set position, and keep defending.

Do it gradually, with the senior students helping the newbs. Newb on newb just turns into a brawl.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glf, I'd +rep you if I could for using that picture of Joey Grimaldi boxing with the Vegetable Man as your avatar.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:59pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roshambo: Kick each other in the nuts over and over again until one person gives.

Or you could just do full contact sparring like so many have previously mentioned...
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 3:19pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do a drill, sometimes as a corner drill or a bob-and-weave, where I warm up by letting my wife or son hit my face with gloves. Kind of a warm-up, and they seem to really enjoy it. A lot.

Some folks just never get used to it, it's not for everyone. No harm in that, besides, getting hit in the head repeatedly isn't the best thing for your brain.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 3:29pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've posted this before, but I'm too lazy to look it up and re-link.

Use good boxing gloves and proper boxing headgear. Do a defense drill where one person works slips/blocks, whatever but does not counter attack. The feeder attempts to lightly hit the defender on the forehead, where the headgear offers good protection. They should feed in combos at a moderate pace, with light power.

Defender will learn to move, and will get used to getting thumped a little. But they won't get confused about countering or anything. They will simply improve their evasiveness, and get used to contact. Gradually increase speed and power. Don't increase too much when targeting the forehead, as this could endanger feeder's hands.

Once they are comfortable with this, open up the targeting for the feeder. When defender can handle 3-4 punch combos at moderate power comfortably, allow them to counter.

The goal is to get people comfortable with their defense first. Doing it in this controlled progression will ensure that they don't get confused with too many options. Along the way, they will get thumped a lot, but will get used to it. With a controlled escalation, they shouldn't panic.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 4:29pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a good way to go might be starting out with a ton of gear on and work you way to less and less. Also, watch some of the guys on TUf train- they aren't blasting each other all the time. Getting hit in that face/head has very few benefits, and boxers are considered some of the least educated and intelligent athletes for a reason- they let themselves get the crap kicked out of them for little money, all in the hopes of a big pay day that very,very, very few get.

I've said this before, but in Thailand, it was a tradition that you always, always got paid something when you fought. While they would never say it to the Farang Bah that come over there, pay to train and fight for free, they most likely think they're silly. After all, why get beat up for nothing?

That being said, there are some excellent drills mentioned in the above posts that could keep the OP busy for months. Might I suggest you drop Hyung practise for a few months and just work these drills?

Finally, one I have witnessed at my gym, that Virgil uses to train former Olympian Andre Ward. Take two of those TKD slap mits with the handle and swat the trainee, forcing him to block and roll, and have him counter on the pads. It's faster than punching with traditional focus mits and the impact is lighter. That should help train out the "flinch reflex". Also, medicine ball training wouldn't hurt, as long as you don't go overboard and do damage to the lower back.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 4:32pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    Glf, I'd +rep you if I could for using that picture of Joey Grimaldi boxing with the Vegetable Man as your avatar.
    Thanks - Grimaldi is a personal and professional hero of mine. I have a book coming out on him next August in fact. As you're a man who loves a bit of Regency larking, I'd be very happy to send you a copy when it's done.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glf
    Thanks - Grimaldi is a personal and professional hero of mine. I have a book coming out on him next August in fact. As you're a man who loves a bit of Regency larking, I'd be very happy to send you a copy when it's done.
    Excellent. I'll be happy to repay the favor by sending you a copy of my next book, going to press in a couple of weeks (and including the self-same picture - but don't worry, my book isn't about Grimaldi.)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 4:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have these students been training? How old are they? I would say that a light bopping in the face a few times could be good for them, but if it's like their second class then you should take it a little slower. Are they only having trouble with head shots? If that's the case, then they can just slowly work up to taking stronger head shots. If they're having trouble all around, then you may need to consider some pink-belly sessions...
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast