Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    BJJ, little Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Upcoming "backyard" fight

Hi! I have been training bjj for almost 1 year now and a little bit of boxing. a classmate of mine where making jokes about me saying judo and bjj are the best bla bla and him saying that i would get owned if we fought someday. I challenged him to fight me at some lunch break in the future or somewhere else, in school of course. he has been training only muay thai for about a liitle bit longer than i have trained bjj but he has no grappling knowledge what-so-ever. I just wanted to know what my tactics in my postions are going to be in your opinion. if we started on the ground I think I would own him quite easily but the problem is that we have to start standing. we haven't even touched the takedown part yetin my class so i don't really know what to go for if it's striking involved. and also, i don't really know how my tactics are going to be when we go to the ground. i mean i can take him in a grappling match, but with striking involved, i don't really know what i should aim for. plz reply as quick as you can!:ninjadanc

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Brainsplitter, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A backyard, parking lot or school grounds is no place to pressure test your martial art unless you are forced into it. If you're really determined to clash with this guy, you need to set something up at your gym or his. In other words, sparring on a controlled environment under adult supervision.

Also, if you don't know any takedowns, you will find out that they are a rather critical part of any grappler's arsenal. You could be the best groundfighter on the planet, but how is that going to help you if you can't get them there?

My advice, don't let your friends teasing you convince you to do something stupid.

Welcome to Bullshido.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF??
    Jessica Alba told me Sweden was a "neutral state"!

Anyhow, listen to jnp, invite the guy to your gym and have some fun. It is all good-natured teasing that guys do with one another, don't risk getting injured or injuring your buddy.

Who knows, he might want to start training with you and this might keep you from getting KOed.

Welcome.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a year of BJJ and no takedowns?
    guess it takes all kinds. anyway, listen to JNP. he can be a hard pill to swallow, but he knows his ****.
    have fun at bullshido.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm new here myself, but I agree with JNP and Snake. Some guys teasing you isn't enough to warrant a brawl. If you guys keep it in the gym it can be cleaner and a load more fun.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have no take downs. He likely has a more refined clinch than you do. Hell, full MT has a few throws of its own. You are not likely to win this. You need to... (argh!) add some Judo to your BJJ.

(Washes mouth out)
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Style
    BJJ, little Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

yeah ok

i'll try to get him to my gym and see what happends. i mean i have wrestled a bit so i know arm drags and some double elgs too you know, it's just we haven't trained takedowns in my bjj class.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Snicker

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleSoft
    You have no take downs. He likely has a more refined clinch than you do. Hell, full MT has a few throws of its own. You are not likely to win this. You need to... (argh!) add some Judo to your BJJ.

(Washes mouth out)
    This post was preordained from the moment you posted that thread.

You're just lucky that the wrath of Kano (Kano!!!) was in the form of irony, and not you spilling Rhadi Ferguson's drink all over Jimmy Pedro at a bar.

Style
    No gym currently.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainsplitter
    Hi! I have been training bjj for almost 1 year now and a little bit of boxing. a classmate of mine where making jokes about me saying judo and bjj are the best bla bla and him saying that i would get owned if we fought someday. I challenged him to fight me at some lunch break in the future or somewhere else, in school of course. he has been training only muay thai for about a liitle bit longer than i have trained bjj but he has no grappling knowledge what-so-ever. I just wanted to know what my tactics in my postions are going to be in your opinion. if we started on the ground I think I would own him quite easily but the problem is that we have to start standing. we haven't even touched the takedown part yetin my class so i don't really know what to go for if it's striking involved. and also, i don't really know how my tactics are going to be when we go to the ground. i mean i can take him in a grappling match, but with striking involved, i don't really know what i should aim for. plz reply as quick as you can!:ninjadanc
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Honestly, there are things worth fighting for, and there are more than enough fights out there with your name on without you accepting pointless challenges.

Alternately, you could have a fight because another schoolboy called you names, or you could:
    1] take advantage of not having to worry about the real world just yet and get on with having fun...
    2] date girls, they're neat...
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last