223819 Bullies, 4143 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 15
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. variance is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    808

    Posted On:
    1/27/2009 9:55pm


     Style: EF UM A

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Rick's Kicks @ Frisco, TX

    Hey all.
    I'm trying to do a check on this school for a friend.
    and the credentials look somewhat questionable.
    Among the dozens of systems and arts (with no specifics on length and depth of training) he claims a BJJ brown belt which to my understanding is more easily verified than the others.

    There is no specifics on the length BJJ lineage/training. the other arts can be hit or miss.

    He claims to have a brown belt in BJJ under Carlos Machado. Can anyone point me to where I can verify this rank?

    As for why I find him suspect.. his written credentials/bio speak for themselves:

    http://www.rickskicks.com/instructors_rick.html

    Owner/Sensei: RICK GOSS Born: December 15,1967
    Total years of training: 30 and growing
    Teaching experience: 21 and growing
    Rick Goss holds the rank of Sensei (head instructor) in the following:
    3rd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do
    2nd Degree BlackBelt in Shaolin Kung Fu
    2nd Degree Black Belt in Japanese Jiu-Jitsu
    2nd Degree Black Belt in Chin Na
    5th Degree Black Belt in Kung Fu San Soo
    2nd Degree Black Belt in Weaponry
    Instructor Level in Ship Pai Gae
    Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Other training includes:
    Tai Chi | Hapkido | Kong Su | Bagua | ChoiLI Fut kung Fu | JKD Concepts | Wing Chung | Muay Thai | Japanese Bushido | Gracie Jiu-Jitsu | Knife Fighting | Boxing | Kick Boxing | Kali-Escrima | Ninjitsu | Shoot fighting | Russian Sambo | Qi Long Breathing | Judo | Aikido
    Sensei Rick Goss has trained under the following Grand Masters and Masters:
    Yousef Alirezaei (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, Wrestling, Muay Thai )
    Carlos Machado (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - Sixth Degree Black Belt)
    Master Ralph Severe (Ninjutsu)
    Professor Wally Jay (Small Circle Jiu-Jitsu)
    Professor Willy Cahill (Jiu-Jitsu and Judo)
    Professor Remy Presas (Modern Arnis)
    Professor Reylson Gracie (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu)
    Professor James Muro (Decuerda Eskrima, Kenpo, Danzan Ryu jiu-Jitsu)
    Master Ron Van Browning (Kung Fu San Soo)

    All of the above plus numerous other instructors under the rank of Master. A teacher cannot teach without also being a student. All credit is given to my instructors and the knowledge that they possess.
  2. variance is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    808

    Posted On:
    1/27/2009 11:04pm


     Style: EF UM A

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well so far found a re cord of him competing for Machada BJJ

    http://austinjiujitsu.com/budo/bjj/r...Challenge.html


    so the BJJ Credentials appear to be legitimate
  3. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,226

    Posted On:
    1/27/2009 11:05pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a link to a page on David Thomas' website that shows the results of a 1999 BJJ tournament in Dallas held by Carlos Machado. About two thirds of the way down the page I found this:
    Cruiser (188-202 lbs) Winner: Rick Goss, Machado Jiu Jitsu, Dallas, TX

    I also recognize several of the competitor's listed on the site, including a few I trained with for years. I remember my instructor, William Vandry, talking about Sean Cooper's matches.

    I don't this this counts as incontrovertible proof, but I'm positive at least a quarter of the information on that page is correct.

    edit: You beat me by one minute? Argh.
  4. cuatro76 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    928

    Posted On:
    1/27/2009 11:18pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your friend is interested in BJJ, Wrestling, MMA, or Muay Thai, I would recommend checking out Star Jiu-jitsu in Carrollton, TX, run by Yousef Alirezaei. I train BJJ (and sometimes wrestling) there. It's not as far north as Frisco but it's easy to get there from Frisco.

    http://www.starbjj.com/
  5. variance is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    808

    Posted On:
    1/28/2009 5:01am


     Style: EF UM A

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    apparently rick goss has trained under him and machado. and carrolton is a bit far considering this place is right behind where they live.

    still his bio has a ton of "mcdojo"-ish fishy sounding things like
    black belts in "kung fu" for example.
    and black belts in "weaponry"

    fails to note his length/depth of training in any of the arts he's trained.
    I'm especially curious as to his specifics/qualifications to teach FMA.

    I'll probably pop over sometime to observe, ask questions as google-fu has failed to return much aside from that '99 BJJ tournament.
  6. John Bennett is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4

    Posted On:
    2/12/2009 1:12pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by variance
    well so far found a re cord of him competing for Machada BJJ

    http://austinjiujitsu.com/budo/bjj/r...Challenge.html


    so the BJJ Credentials appear to be legitimate
    Cool beans.

    I wrote that webpage back in 1999.

    Good memories.

    I think I still have the photos laying around somewhere.
  7. Ricks kicks is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1

    Posted On:
    9/06/2009 8:53pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Not everyone competes is the real deal

    :icon_cheeI am the guy in pic. The reason I don't show up your seacrh is because I have been doing this alot longer than you have. All my teachers are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Ask any of them if they know me. I do not just do grappling and or striking. I do them both and have for quite a while. I usually do not post on sites but, your doubting has made me eager to help settle your mind. The Kung fu I trained in is all legite and many of my teachers are available to you for Q&A. The guy who posted for Yousef, I train with Yousef every week in wrestling and have for the last 4 years. My brown is under him.My purple is under Carlos and respect him greatly. I left Gi training at the same time for my own reasons. As for the guy who posted about training with Yousef, he would know me if he had an extended training history. I do what I do and do not care if you like it or want to. So, seeing is believeing. I do not hide from anybody and teach/ train all my classes. I train to live my life so, internet ninja you know where I live and train. I am not challenging you, just letting you know I am not a poser like most of these posters are.

    Quote Originally Posted by variance View Post
    Hey all.
    I'm trying to do a check on this school for a friend.
    and the credentials look somewhat questionable.
    Among the dozens of systems and arts (with no specifics on length and depth of training) he claims a BJJ brown belt which to my understanding is more easily verified than the others.

    There is no specifics on the length BJJ lineage/training. the other arts can be hit or miss.

    He claims to have a brown belt in BJJ under Carlos Machado. Can anyone point me to where I can verify this rank?

    As for why I find him suspect.. his written credentials/bio speak for themselves:

    http://www.rickskicks.com/instructors_rick.html

    Owner/Sensei: RICK GOSS Born: December 15,1967
    Total years of training: 30 and growing
    Teaching experience: 21 and growing
    Rick Goss holds the rank of Sensei (head instructor) in the following:
    3rd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do
    2nd Degree BlackBelt in Shaolin Kung Fu
    2nd Degree Black Belt in Japanese Jiu-Jitsu
    2nd Degree Black Belt in Chin Na
    5th Degree Black Belt in Kung Fu San Soo
    2nd Degree Black Belt in Weaponry
    Instructor Level in Ship Pai Gae
    Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Other training includes:
    Tai Chi | Hapkido | Kong Su | Bagua | ChoiLI Fut kung Fu | JKD Concepts | Wing Chung | Muay Thai | Japanese Bushido | Gracie Jiu-Jitsu | Knife Fighting | Boxing | Kick Boxing | Kali-Escrima | Ninjitsu | Shoot fighting | Russian Sambo | Qi Long Breathing | Judo | Aikido
    Sensei Rick Goss has trained under the following Grand Masters and Masters:
    Yousef Alirezaei (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, Wrestling, Muay Thai )
    Carlos Machado (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - Sixth Degree Black Belt)
    Master Ralph Severe (Ninjutsu)
    Professor Wally Jay (Small Circle Jiu-Jitsu)
    Professor Willy Cahill (Jiu-Jitsu and Judo)
    Professor Remy Presas (Modern Arnis)
    Professor Reylson Gracie (Gracie Jiu-Jitsu)
    Professor James Muro (Decuerda Eskrima, Kenpo, Danzan Ryu jiu-Jitsu)
    Master Ron Van Browning (Kung Fu San Soo)

    All of the above plus numerous other instructors under the rank of Master. A teacher cannot teach without also being a student. All credit is given to my instructors and the knowledge that they possess.
  8. marcell is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    324

    Posted On:
    9/07/2009 8:18am


     Style: JKD and BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Rick,

    It's good that you came on here to reply, but I think the reason the OP was skeptical of you from the start was just because you seem to have so much experience in things. I am not doubting, just saying it is a lot of stuff you did!

    TBH I don't think this thread belongs in MABS because the OP should have done some research on his own. Rick lists the names of all the people he trained under (for the most part) if you are skeptical why the heck did you not just call and ask them yourself?
  9. variance is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    808

    Posted On:
    9/21/2009 6:11pm


     Style: EF UM A

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcell View Post
    Hey Rick,

    It's good that you came on here to reply, but I think the reason the OP was skeptical of you from the start was just because you seem to have so much experience in things. I am not doubting, just saying it is a lot of stuff you did!

    TBH I don't think this thread belongs in MABS because the OP should have done some research on his own. Rick lists the names of all the people he trained under (for the most part) if you are skeptical why the heck did you not just call and ask them yourself?
    I did do some research on my own. as far as the FMA goes.
    Remy Presas is a bit deceased and has been for awhile. It would be difficult to verify with him.

    as far as the subject of the topic goes:

    Thank you for your participation.

    First off let me please begin by saying I have not yet had the time to visit and observe your classes. This post isn't meant to be disrespectful per se. I'm simply following due diligence for a friend. I'm happy to see that you aren't a poser and are willing discuss your training openly. and again this thread is not meant as a insult. As you have yourself stated. There are many posers out there. without open discussions like this, it is difficult to tell legitimate and frauds apart.

    However, regarding your credentials (on your site as well as what you've posted) lack specifics as to the length/extent of your training in various styles/arts other than your legitimate BJJ experience.

    More to the point, if you could clarify these parts of your credentials. as I find them most curious, I'd be quite grateful.

    * 2nd Degree Blackbelt in Weaponry
    * 2nd Degree BlackBelt in Shaolin Kung Fu
    * 2nd Degree Black Belt in Chin Na

    to the best of my knowledge. Kung Fu generally does not follow the japanese belt rank system that originated with Kano's Judo. as for the weaponry. I'm unsure as to what that credential appears to claim. Perhaps you can clarify.

    also if you wouldn't mind I"m curious how much time you spent training with the following:

    Professor Remy Presas (Modern Arnis)
    Professor James Muro (Decuerda Eskrima, Kenpo, Danzan Ryu jiu-Jitsu)

    As far as Prof Remy Presas. He passed on in 2001 and I'm not aware of him spending a significant amount of time here in the metroplex. (I think i might be wrong as I think remember my old Guro saying that he stayed at his house)

    There are still some Modern Arnis individuals around DFW.
    additionally I'm not aware of there being a Decuerda Eskrima teacher/group in the DFW as I thought I searched pretty high and low for FMA groups for a bit.

    also specifics on some of your other training.. You've trained for decades in general. but it'd be nice to distinguish between "went to a seminar once" and "spent 1 - 3 years training under"
  10. alex is offline
    alex's Avatar

    STOP POSTING!

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8,193

    Posted On:
    9/21/2009 6:35pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mate, you need to do some digging around before you just pop up with a thread. some of that info (i.e. the BJJ stuff) is quite easily verifiable. im reporting this as a **** topic, you cant start an investigation based on a guess. find something concrete.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.