Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Er, um, I'm now slightly worried:
    - skull fracture by brick - aged 7 - accident
    - skull fracture by ledge - aged 8 - caught foot and landed Head first
    - fell through roof and unconscious and left for dead - aged 8 - accident
    - ran straight into a steel hawser (holding telegraph pole) somersaulted and landed face first on concrete path - aged 15 or so
    - road accident in India - railway sleeper hanging off back of trailer came through the window and straight up my body and smashed into my face. A few years back.
    This might explain why my doctor took note of this last week. Hmmm....

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 11:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently when I was a toddler, I had a hobby of climbing up on chairs and diving off head-first, knocking myself out. Happened three times, my mother was hysterical, on the fourth it took me more than 2 minutes to wake up. She was doing 60mph down Main street to the hospital and must've been very clear that I never do that again.

I wonder, sometimes, what kind of genius I could've been, without those dives.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hooray for fighting at a weight where getting KO'd is practically unheard of! That's pretty scary stuff, though. I've always thought of football as being about the most dangerous sport.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two assertions (no citations at present, so take 'em for what you will):

First, I'd expect (hope?) that brain trauma would be less likely to be permanent while the brain's still growing.

Secondly, I'm predicting that the big revelation from the football player post-mortems is going to be that you can sustain permanent damage from relatively minor head traumas (without loss of consciousness) in sufficient volume/frequency.

A lot of effort is being spent on "awareness and prevention" right now (mostly because there's no real treatment yet). The good news is that players are less likely to continue playing after a concussion, but the bad news is that a false division has been inserted between "getting concussed" and "getting your bell rung", where the former is viewed as significant and the latter isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 2:00pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'd expect head trauma to have even worse effects while the brain is still developing. Chemical or physical changes in the brain tend to have more lasting and negative effects when it's still developing. That's why people who start alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, whatever when they're under 18 tend to be more addicted and have a harder time quitting.

The brain doesn't fully develop until between 18 and 21 years old, especially in the prefrontal cortext, which is most important for higher-order thinking. That's part of why teenagers and kids are so impulsive. They don't have the higher order thinking and planning to think things through in a long-term fashion because the prefrontal cortex is still developing. Damage to that area of the brain before age 21 could leave someone with some permanent teenage-like characteristics.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 2:08pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My working assumption is that the brain's mechanisms for growth and repair are basically the same (and as such, when the brain is able to continue growing, it's also more able to repair itself). Wikipedia disagrees with me, but the article doesn't have any citations.

I think your comparison between brain damage and addiction doesn't really work. FAS probably would, though.

Posted On:
    1/30/2009 9:34pm

Style: Ninja Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    Hooray for fighting at a weight where getting KO'd is practically unheard of! That's pretty scary stuff, though. I've always thought of football as being about the most dangerous sport.
    well, obviously you do not know ****, after this amount of time as a member, you should know better, why don't you just go somewhere else, ok ?:walk:

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 2:31pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    My working assumption is that the brain's mechanisms for growth and repair are basically the same (and as such, when the brain is able to continue growing, it's also more able to repair itself). Wikipedia disagrees with me, but the article doesn't have any citations.

I think your comparison between brain damage and addiction doesn't really work. FAS probably would, though.
    The addiction comparison wasn't to illustrate the same mechanism, it was to give an example of how the brain is more vulnerable to damage before it's fully formed. The brain in general is very slow at repairing itself, even when it's still growing.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/31/2009 3:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    The addiction comparison wasn't to illustrate the same mechanism, it was to give an example of how the brain is more vulnerable to damage before it's fully formed.
    Yeah, but I'm disinclined to model addictions as damage.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Off
    The brain in general is very slow at repairing itself, even when it's still growing.
    Sad but true. I need to get off my ass and make my billions so I can fund a double-whammy cure for Alzheimer's and concussion damage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2009 3:39am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Master
    well, obviously you do not know ****, after this amount of time as a member, you should know better, why don't you just go somewhere else, ok ?:walk:
    Please, do feel free to STFU whenever you wish.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast