Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 10:37pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tingling forearm

I've a question. Lately, I've been trying Randy Couture's circuit training with 20 lbs dumbbells.

YouTube - Ex UFC heavyweight champ Randy Couture weight training

The first thing that goes out is my forearms during the second set, so I take a 10 second break before picking them back up to complete the set. Near the last set, I notice tingling in my left forearm on the radius side when I lower the weights. Thursday was the last day I did it. When I go to bench 55 lbs in each hand, I notice the tingling when putting the weight down on Saturday. Tonight on Monday, the tingling happens when I'm curling with the 20 lbs.

Does anyone know what's going on? A pinched nerve, maybe? Should I take a break from weight training? Thanks.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could be pinched never (thoracic outlet syndrome) or something similar to that. Or it could simply be that your internal shoulder rotators are very inflexible, causing you to have problems in putting the bar behind your neck (this is very common.)

Have you ever had a neck/trap/shoulder accident? How's your flexibility at the shoulders?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 10:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'm using dumbbells. The tingling is on my forearm between my elbow and my thumb.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 10:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No shoulder problems.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 10:52pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look up tendinitis and see if the symptoms match what you're describing.

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 10:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gttintin
    Actually, I'm using dumbbells. The tingling is on my forearm between my elbow and my thumb.
    Uh, how are you doing a behind-the-neck exercise with the dumbbells? You can't make a reference to Randy's workout if you are using a different equipment. The reason of this is that there is no way in hell for us over the internet to know what on earth you are doing.

Also, you need to be more descriptive - this is a rule and requirement for posting in this forum.

Is the tingling on the outside of the arm (that is, running from the elbow down the back of your forearm to your thumb)? Or is it, from the elbow, turning around and down the inside of your forearm down to the base of the thumb?

Also, when exactly is it that you are experiencing the tingling? What is the exact exercise after which you experience the discomfort?

Details man, details. It would also help if you provide some stats about you: height, weight, age, gender, any past/present injuries on the hands, forearms, etc.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 10:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gttintin
    No shoulder problems.
    How about my second question: how's your shoulder flexibility?

Also, what Skillful said, could be some form of tendinitis... which leads me to another question. Is the tingling just that, a tingling, or is it accompanied by pain?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 12:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the vagueness. Doesn't seem to match tendonitis. There is no pain. Just weird tingling.

My shoulder flexibility is ok, I think. I have trouble scratching my back at times, so maybe too stiff?

As stated in my first post, the tingling is on the radius side, which is the thumb side. It runs between the thumb to the elbow. Left arm only. Since I lack a barbell, I use dumbbells. I guess that would really change things up. The tingling kicks in when I lower the dumbbell. I'm male, 5'4", a fat 165 lbs, 23 years old, and have no injuries.

My friends suggest I simply rest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 12:21am

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the tingling in your forearm and fingers, or just the forearm? Is it constant or does it only occur periodically in certain positions? Gradual or sudden onset?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2009 12:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started the week before last. The tingling began on last Thursday. When I was benching on Saturday, the tingling didn't happen until I slowly put down the 55 lbs. Today, I felt it as I lowered the 20 lbs while curling, so I stopped.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast