Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Swimming as part of fight training? Not Kata in the pool or at the beach

Is there a way of using swimming as part of fight training ie., HIIT? I'm starting to swim regularly now so I was wondering if there was a way to use that as part of my training instead of just increasing my general fitness level. Once again I'm not talking about kata in the pool or by the beach.

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 4:47pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im no fitnessologist, but I wouldn't think it would be much different from running or sprinting. Which most martial artists who are worth a crap do. Swimming may have an added bonus as you use more upper body in most cases than in running.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 12:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai (beginner)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing HIIT in a pool is very feasible. You do a lap or two with maximum effort, going for time or whatever, followed by a couple of laps at a smoother pace. As for stroke, I think the crawl would be best, as it works everything, or you could go over the top and do the butterfly :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 1:22am

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to tell you, HIIT in a pool, while feasible, doesn't seem to be nearly as taxing as burpees (especially weighted) or medicine ball slams...or even thrusters. Granted, I enjoyed swimming more, I didn't feel nearly as tired afterward, even when I went as hard as I could for longer periods of time. Granted, swimming is a lot less isolated than the others I mentioned, I'm just saying, in my experience, I didn't see nearly as much improvement.

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 1:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love swimming and use it primarily for recovery work: stretches out alot of the soreness&tightness. An ideal training day has am workout and an afternoon swim to stretch it out.

I also like doing underwater laps to improve anerobic capacity. The pool's closed for the winter, but I was up to a lap&one half before surfacing to breathe. I think its great for grappling conditioning.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 1:30am

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    I love swimming and use it primarily for recovery work: stretches out alot of the soreness&tightness. An ideal training day has am workout and an afternoon swim to stretch it out.

I also like doing underwater laps to improve anerobic capacity. The pool's closed for the winter, but I was up to a lap&one half before surfacing to breathe. I think its great for grappling conditioning.
    Me too. I hate it when the pool's closed.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 4:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    College Swimming Gave me a Cardio edge in Boxing. It also kept me flexible.

I find it great for grappling, since the lean muscle used in Judo/Wrestling/BJJ/Etc during the ground phase is primarily core, back, shoulders, and hip flexors, all of which swimming targets. You've got to swim the whole gammut of strokes for the full benefit. Below are the benefits of each stroke, as I see it, to combat sports.

Freestyle:
    -Shoulder Rotation (Both ballistic downward press and pulls. Development here allows for extended exertion in a variety of angles, specifically useful hold/pin/submission escapes and downward hammerfist blows. (supplements rows, dips, rotational chops)

-Hip Flexors (the kick, preferably straight legged with toes pointed out) I would guess it helps sweeps and kicks somewhat.

Core (twisting the torso from side to side) With freestyle you twist the torso from side to side with each stroke. This in turn rotates the shoulders. This movement is PIVOTAL in boxing and other striking arts. Kinetic linking (putting your hips into the punch) becomes very easy as a result of this specific movement. Considering you do this with water resistance... (Supplements Russian Twists and all sorts of medicine ball goodness as well as rotational chops)

Breaststroke:
    -Sculling: The basic pull in breaststroke is somewhat like jabbing your hands out in a prayer position, turning both palms face downward, and performing a chin up. Judo players probably know a similar movement in the hated crawling drill. This is an invaluable movement in groundwork. (Supplements chin-ups)

-Kicking: In breasttroke Is literally two whip kicks in opposite directions. Fans of Kicking arts... this is phenomenal training for the quads and the hip flexors. (Supplements plyometrics and actually kicking the bag...)

Butterfly: (my favorite stroke)Like the name implies... it is a MANS stroke... grunt. Be warned... you need to have great coordination, an explosive upper body, and dare I say some soul to pull this one off. The benefits are the best however, hopefully I can sell it as a grappler's dream choice of cardio.

-The Pull: Is a pullup... using water resistance instead of body weight... However, because you do bring your arms in front of you as you pull, it tends to work the chest too. You must be strong to do this movement. What are the benefits of doing a pullup that works your chest a little too? Glad you asked... it helps in shrimping, passing guard, pushing someone around on the mat, building explosive upper body, downward striking, guillotines, head control from guard, underhook control from guard, two handed control guard, and several others I can't think of. Basically, It helps condition many of the muscles used in controlling opponents. (Supplements Pull ups for strength, make sure you stretch.)

Dolphin Kick: Probably the hardest part of Fly. You are literally doing "rolls" with your body. Just watch some dance movie, and the sexy chick? Yeah? See her? thats what you will be doing... that move. Another way of looking at it is humping the water... but not violently... moreso in a gentle but powerful motion. This works your flexors, abductors, core, and lower back. Its great for bridging, windshield wipers, and pretty much anything else escape/sweep related. (supplement with bicycles, planks, and other core stuff.)

Backstroke:

Its kicks and stroke have the same utilities of all of the above. But its really important for keeping your rotators in line as you move your arms in the opposite manner of all the other strokes. Use this as a cool down...

Here's a workout I did today:

Warmup-

6 X 100m Freestyle - 1st 75m Normal, last 25m Just Kicking

4 x 100m IM (25m Fly, 25m Back, 25m Breast, 25m Free)

Main Set:

6 x 200m freestyle on 3 minutes (To simulate Boxing Rounds)

12 x 50 m on 60 Seconds (1: Free, 2:Fly, 3: Breast)

Cooldown:

200 Kick with board

6 X 50 Breast on 60 seconds

150 Slow Choice

Supplemented with:

5 Minutes of Jinga w/ kicks and esquivas (ha, shoot me down for this, but I love Capoeira for workouts)
    3 sets 10lb Med Ball Burpees
    3 sets Russian twist w/ med ball
    3 sets Hindu Squats with Med Ball
    3 sets Lunge with Med ball
    3 sets Bicycle

****... I should be writing lesson plans for my kids...

:)

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 6:28am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn surfer, great post. Thanks for all of that.

I know my girl swam for years, and it's part of why she's probably as strong, or stronger than me (the other part is I fail, in every way).Swimming does amazing things for the muscles of the back, especially the lower back
    (no drty jk plzkthx.).

I used to just go and tread water for 20 or 30 minutes, while I'd watch her dive (pervert, plz ban). I'm weak as hell, but it did me wonders.

I'm not too keen on the feeling right afterward though, I feel too flopsy, (insert joke) and vunerable...no joke. Boston's angry, and the odds of getting in a confrontation here, aren't so low. This might seem absurd, but I am a well recognized entertainer, in an interracial couple, in the 3rd most segregated city in the US, and one that's consistently voted the most angry city in the US......struggling with own my deep anger issues, and uneven temperament....It can happen, and when it inevetably does, I like to feel tense, and wiry...unfortunately swimming robs me of that...so I'm disinclined.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 11:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja
    ......struggling with own my deep anger issues, and uneven temperament....
    Somewhere... the Galactic Emperor is smiling...

YouTube - The Palpatine song

--------------------------------------------

Maybe sometime I'll post some more workouts. In the meantime, keep doing plyometric push-ups. They make me more aggressive for some reason... When my tits are mad I gets teh N1Nj4 p0w3r5...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2009 11:21am

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your tits get mad?!

I'd see a doctor about that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast