Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 8:34pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chad Waterbury, BS or not?

I've been lifting for awhile, 3 sets, of 12 reps. Deadlifts, Squat, Bench, Curl, Rows, Pulldowns, blah blah blah. My friend reccomended I read this book buy this guy Chad Waterbury called "Huge In A Hurry". Which pretty much tells me I do everything wrong with weights, talking about small muscle fibers and big muscle fibers etc. He basically says do lift much heavier loads in as little as 3 rep sets, then resting for a little less then a min, then doing it again. Untill you hit 20-25 total reps. The book is filled with so much technical neuro science mumbo jumbo I can't possibly independently verify it. I've been doing the Waterbury workout thing for about a week, and I feel like theres been gains, but I can't tell if its in my head. Does anyone know if this guy is full of **** or not? Thanks.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's legit, your current plan is no good.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 8:44pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    He's legit, your current plan is no good.
    So you would reccomend I follow the "Huge In A Hurry" book? It just seems like it makes sense, lift more weight, get stronger. Do it faster, get stronger. But I've been told to do 3 sets of 10-12 since like 7th grade gym, so its just so weird to not do that. Its almost more fun to lift more weights, I look forward to workouts more and stacking up the bar.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/21/2009 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3x10-12 for everything is poor protocol. Read the book and do even more research.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    1/22/2009 12:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar42Ox
    But I've been told to do 3 sets of 10-12 since like 7th grade gym, so its just so weird to not do that.
    Is 3x10-12 helping you to progress towards your goals? No? Try something else, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 2:50pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the workout you are talking about. Two weeks ago I started using the stripped down version one he mentioned in an aritcle on t-nation rather than buying the book.

I've always used a similar protocol - a few big compound movements, squat and deadlift as the foundation of the workout. However, the 25 reps for whatever sets is a new thing to me - but I really like. And I've gone from 5 excercises with varying weights per set, to 3 excercises same weight.

This simplified my workout enough during my lunch break that I life of 10 minutes or less, then can work on flexibility for 15 - which is the bigger issue for my BJJ game. Its also simpiler to track progress when you only are doing 3 excercies for the same rep count, not concerned about reps or changing weight.

Also, Waterbury is a BJJ guy too. And he weight trains himself the same way he recommends other people to train. So what he recommends should mesh pretty well for grapplers - although its not fair to say he is promoting (nor claiming to promote) - a BJJ specific workout with Huge in a Hurry.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jhemsley: how can you be only lifting for 10 minutes or less? Is that a typo?

Also, to say what everyone else is saying, 3 sets of 12 reps is not the answer. The answer it to keep a log (you don't it seems, as you say you aren't sure if you made gains, if you kept a log you would KNOW if there were gains or not). Then see what is working, try out a few different things.
    This Waterbury stuf sounds legit, so try it!

I want to add in that I do throw in high reps sometimes. Like today, I did an isolations only workout (ZOMG!!!) and went to 15 reps on some exercises. It helps break monotony, gives your body a rest from heavy loads, and sometimes you burn out going heavy/low all the time. Just saying (though I am a low/heavy guy normally don't kill me!)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 9:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=LI GUY 1]Jhemsley: how can you be only lifting for 10 minutes or less? Is that a typo?[quote]

Not a typo. 10 Minutes.

I'm not advocating that anything more than that is a waste of time. If I had more time, I would take it. I'm a single father with sole custody of a 4 year old. I train BJJ three times a week as it is, and have a long commute to work. So I'm always strained for time. Anything I can do to squeeze a little more efficiency into my life is more time my son gets to spend with a parent.

During my lunch break Monday through Thursday, there is a nearby gym I go to. I have a bout 25 minutes of time to do stuff (12 minutes drive both ways, 11 minutes to change into workout gear, take a shower, and change back into work clothes load up and leave). Since the best flexibility improvements I've made are when I stretch immediately after a workout for 15 minutes, and my physical limitations in BJJ are more often flexibility than power, that's a bigger priority.

But I couldn't figure a way to get the amount of lifitng I wanted to in and post workout stretching I wanted, until I read this article by Chad Waterbury. So I was just lifting for 25 minutes and stretching at home. The problem was I'd be really tight when I started stretching, so I wasn't seeing nearly the flexibility gains I could have if I stretched after lifting. Then I read Waterbury's article, skimmed through his book at the bookstore, and thought to myself, how fast could I go with just three excercises?

First two minutes, setup and warm up legs. Monday Deadlifts, Wednesday Power Cleans, Saturdays ATG Squats. I do about 2 very fast sets of 4 reps ramping up to the weight I'm going to lift with. My legs seem to have plenty of blood flow if I keep the weight moving fast. Then I set up my 'Work' weight. This enitre process takes about 2 minutes. Yes, I have to be moving quick, but I've got it down now.

25 work reps of legs next. I do 4 - 6 reps before my form or speed change (read this article to see why that matters in the Waterbury method). Then I take a 20 - 30 second rest. Then I pump out another 4 - 6 reps. All reps are performed as fast as possible, so it takes about 1 second per rep (except for squats, which is closer to 2 seconds, so I run a little long). Ends up being 3 minutes for a total of 5 minutes.

Immediately move to the Pull Up / Dip Station. Set the counter weight for pull ups (currently at 40 pounds - by March I should be using no counter weight at current progress rate and past history, even if my weight stays the same). 4 - 6 reps, and reduce rest between to 10 - 15 seconds. Takes a little less than 2 minutes. Total of 7 minutes.

Rest 10 seconds, begin dips. No rest after pull ups means I'm using more assistance than I'd need fresh (where I wouldn't need any), but I'm not too concerned about that. Same time rep breakdowns as above for pull ups. Takes about 2 minutes, total of 9 minutes.

The other minute is used when at some point during pull ups / dips or deadlift / clean / squat I'm a little shot and need a little extra rest. So I'll take another 30 seconds at some point in each and drink a little water and shake out my shoulders and legs a little.

Then I go stretch with a set of very loose muscles for about 15 minutes. Helps me improve flexibility and reduces soreness A LOT.
    Last edited by Jhemsley; 1/26/2009 10:18am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 9:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More info about my workout, if anyone cares. Split from above because I'm so annoyingly wordy.

Its only a few excercises, but I hit every muscle chin to toe pretty throughly and hard. Although I'm just now starting week three, its reinforced a valuable principle. The majority of strength gains are made on a few compound excercise, and intensity is as big a factor in success in the gym as programming. My GPP is improving greatly from it (its a hell of an anaerobic strain to pump out 25 deadlifts, pulls ups and dips with signficant resistance in 10 minutes), and my strength and physique are definitely making gains during the past two weeks. Some (maybe all) of that is muscle memory - I took a six month break from lifting ending in December for a variety of reasons, but that could be said if I was doing volume work with body part splits.

Sure, its far from some super tweaked program, but until I hit a wall its working well enough, and my flexibility is finally improving at a rate I'm happy with. Most importantly, it fits the time I have for the priorities I've made. Really, the biggest obstacle is maintaining the mental focus during those 10 minutes to lift hard enough to matter. Every rep is tough when you're going this fast and using enough weight to compensate for the reduced volume.

Once, I had to wait on a machine, which shortens my stretching time. I live with it. Generally speaking, the deadlift pad, squat rack, and pull up station aren't getting a lot of business compared to the benches and treadmills.

Fridays I don't get a chance to lift at all.

On Saturdays, I take my son with me to a different gym than the one during the week and put him in childcare. I still only spend ten minutes lifting and 15 minutes stretching. He has one parent looking after him, and is in childcare 40 hours a week already. I wouldn't even do that on Saturday and just do M-W-Thrusday lifting and hurt like hell on Thursday from lack of rest on Squats, if the gym didn't have a pool with family swim hours Saturday mornings I can take him to immediately afterward. We swim and play for an hour or two.

I mention this to stress that this system is something I'm using to make the most of what time I have in the gym to improve my strength without displacing flexibility work.

If you have more time, use a better program. When I was working out in lunch last year and wasn't concerned about flexibility, I did the New Rules of Lifting workouts. Several of those can be done in about 25 minutes if you move really fast, so I 've had some practice moving at a good clip to finish a workout. If I had the time, I would do that 4 days a week.

I'm working my way up to training with my kettlebell on the days I don't have BJJ to increase the anaerobic training some more, and give me some overhead pressing work. I can do that while my son watches cartoons for half an hour at night. Tuesday and Thursday at the gym I do some core work and bodyweight excercises.