Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 7:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Masaaki Hatsumi turning Bujinkan into a Religion to Dodge Taxes?

"Hi All,

Sensei has repeated some news at the beginning of the first classes this year, so I think it bears posting here as well.

1) Sensei is planning to build a new Honbu dojo in the next 3-4 years. He sees this as a type of Mecca for the Bujinkan. To avoid getting hit by taxes as much as possible, he would like it to be built with tax-deductable donations, so he would like the international Bujinkan community to donate funds for the new dojo. (Shiraishi Sensei was the first one to make a donation for the new dojo, to the tune of 500,000 yen. Sensei mentioned this specifically to the whole class at least twice.) The existing dojo will not be torn down any time soon, but will remain where it is for the next 3 to 4 years.

2) Sensei will be registering the Bujinkan as a religious organization (the term he used each time was "宗教法人" - shuukyou houjinn, for those who might wish to clarify) - again, for tax reasons. The first time I heard him say it I thought I must have heard wrong, and asked another Japanese-speaker sitting beside me for confirmation - he told me that I heard wrong, but Sensei announced it again last night at Ayase, and there was no mistake. He joked that we'd soon all be training with shaved heads (ha ha). This will probably come as a shock to some people, but there is no mistake about what he said.

So, interesting times ahead for the Bujinkan. Sensei is always keeping us on our toes.

万変不驚

Shawn "

Sooooooooooo Masaaki Hatsumi is turning his martial art into a religion to evade paying his taxes. There are so many things wrong with this I don't know where to start. Deceitful and shady to begin with. A God-complex? Maybe. What does everyone think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 8:28am

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought it was just a matter of time before this happened.

It is fucking insane, but then again, when you compare it to their normal culture this seems like the logical progression of events. We'll have to wait and see if it's actually true, but unfortunately I don't have any trouble seeing it happen in the booj.

Anyone inside the Booj hear anything about this?

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 8:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's being talked about a lot on different Bujinkan related forums and martial arts forums in general. People who train in Japan with Masaaki Hatsumi have confirmed it. The die-hard Bujinkan members are defending it saying it is just for tax reasons---no need to get bent out of shape about it. They are saying he "must" do it or when he dies the Japanese government will take all his posessions because of the "inheritance law." This is obviously bogus, he has a wife, relatives, and students/friends he could easily pass it on to. But, that's the basis for their arguement for it.

From my understanding, a lot of people in the Bujinkan (and outside it) have problems with Masaaki Hatsumi claiming religion just to dodge the tax man. There is an undercurrent that it might be because Masaaki Hatsumi himself wants to be seen as some god or deity. Anyway, it's a seriously fucked up, warped situation.

The Japanese don't look at religions in general positively. They view "new religions" like what the Bujinkan is trying to become as dangerous scams. This link written by some Japanese professors sheds some light on the subject:
    http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol12/issue3/kawabata.html

Any way you cut it, this **** is ridiculous. He is dragging his name through the mud and insulting religion as a whole. It's already known his Ninjutsu lineage is fraudulent. The word "cult" definitely comes to mind.
    Last edited by JSPE948; 1/24/2009 8:51am at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 9:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSPE948
    It's being talked about a lot on different Bujinkan related forums and martial arts forums in general. People who train in Japan with Masaaki Hatsumi have confirmed it. The die-hard Bujinkan members are defending it saying it is just for tax reasons---no need to get bent out of shape about it. They are saying he "must" do it or when he dies the Japanese government will take all his posessions because of the "inheritance law." This is obviously bogus, he has a wife, relatives, and students/friends he could easily pass it on to. But, that's the basis for their arguement for it.

From my understanding, a lot of people in the Bujinkan (and outside it) have problems with Masaaki Hatsumi claiming religion just to dodge the tax man. There is an undercurrent that it might be because Masaaki Hatsumi himself wants to be seen as some god or deity. Anyway, it's a seriously fucked up, warped situation.

The Japanese don't look at religions in general positively. They view "new religions" like what the Bujinkan is trying to become as dangerous scams. This link written by some Japanese professors sheds some light on the subject:
    http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol12/issue3/kawabata.html

Any way you cut it, this **** is ridiculous. He is dragging his name through the mud and insulting religion as a whole. It's already known his Ninjutsu lineage is fraudulent. The word "cult" definitely comes to mind.
    That was the first thing that came to mind when I first post.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 10:07am

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To my mind tax-evasion is dishonest and a crime, but if there is something behind the rumors that Hatsumi wants to be worshipped then that is fucking nuts.

Hopefully this will cause a few people to begin questioning his word.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are any of the Aikido -kans still close with the Omotokyo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 11:37am

Style: 空手/HNIR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or shorinji kempo for that matter

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 5:42pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bujinkan is a cult. It always has been and this will just make it official.
    <insert witty comment>

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 5:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Buji =new Scientology?
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 5:54pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why dosent he just dis-appear in a cloud of smoke and go into ninjer secrecy? surely he at least has the ability to hide from the IRS.
Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast