Administrator

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 10:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I chuckled myself.

Before the ATA supporters show up, no, I'm not denigrating the guys skills. Like with a specific Kung fu style, a couple of good fighters does not reflect the ATA as was suggested.

ATA earned its reputation It will take droves of practitioners (Like BJJ, MT, Boxing, Judo) to erase the problems.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 11:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That other guys striking was baaad...and looked like it had about 15 lbs. less behind it. Just me or was the TKD fighter really that much bigger?

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 11:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tkd has t3h r34l weight cut?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 2:08am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's hard to throw those TKD kicks on heavy gravity planets such as Jupiter.

Also, was Sean's opponent about twenty pounds lighter than he and in need of remedial striking instruction, or was that just me?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 2:23am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At this point, seeing at ATA TKD guy win an amateur match isn't really going to shock me or change my understanding of martial arts.
    I've seen a guy knock his opponent out in the first few seconds of a match with a cartwheel.
    I've seen a fighter break his opponent's arm with a wakigatame.
    I've seen Datsik beat Andrei Arlovski.
    I've seen flying armbars, flying triangles, and flying heelhooks.
    I've seen a fighter who made his career by crab-walking and butt-scooting to chase his opponent around the ring.
    A lot of crazy **** can happen in an MMA match. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 2:27am

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    And I quote:

Typical ATA bullshit. World Champion in what? That was a crappy match and an amateur match from what I could see. I tip my hat to Sean but this doesn't prove anything for ATA, yet.
    That's a really good question, especially when ATA is concerned. "World Champions" in ATA is as common as the of 8 year old black belts in the ATA. I assure you that 90% of the ATA schools you walk in will have a "World Champion." You don't even need to ask if the school has one. The "World Champions" will walk around the school with a Gi that says "World Champion."
    To my knowledge they have competitions in Weapon forms, traditional forms, XMA forms, and point sparring. Then dividing the competition up by age and rank.

Also, towards the OP, he won an MMA match. Good for him. He is capable within the amateur league. However, he is the exception other than the norm. Most ATA practitioners can't fight their way out of a paper bag.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 6:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am curious to know what training Sean Smith has. If he went in there with only ATA and the MMA add-on the ATA has got going, then props to him for doing well with so little (even if it was against a guy who has questionable striking skills).

We can always pick apart the fight, but for once we have a representative of one of the most heavily criticized martial arts organizations actually trying to make his stuff work in the cage, with MMA rules (far cry from the ATA's usual no contact BS). I congratulate him on his win, and best of luck to him in the future.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 9:36am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This didn't look like an MMA fight to me. It looked like TKD in a cage. When they went to the ground they didn't show any kind of ground skills. I don't think the takedown was really planned because they were in that position clinching for a while before they went to the ground. Either one should have been able to do the takedown from there. I think they just fell down because their feet were tangled up.

Don't get me wrong. Props to the guy for stepping into the cage. I can not take that away from him. But to use this video as proof the TKD is going to prepare you for MMA. I don't think so. Put him against someone who has ground skills and knows how to keep his hands up. Then we will see. My guess is that he will get some ground training in first.

On a plus side. I did like his reaction to the knock out. He looked like he has done it before. He didn't spaz out like it was his first fight. That tells me that he has some legit training.

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 9:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edit due to self induced fail.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 9:51am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look these videos are exactly the same!
    YouTube - Taekwondo Sparring Match 1

New thread ATA the future of MMA!!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast