Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 6:11pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SenseiTucker
    I personally would like to have a Judo or Aikido class at my school. Not to combine the two for MMA purposes but to give students the ability to have a well rounded martial arts training in one dojo. We have no BJJ schools any where near, 2 1/2 - 3 hrs away, to bring an instructor in to teach that. My Sensei is against it and says if we would like to keep our dojos "Traditional", being cultural reasons or just for respect of the style itself, we shouldn't incorporate. I think it would be a great thing myself. I guess what I was trying to question went out the wrong way. We have had more influx recently on teens and young adults come in and ask if we teach MMA style? I'm guessing that many havent had any martial arts training or they just really dont know that "MMA, Mixed Martial Arts, " is actually a combination of more than one style. Alot of times when we answer that we are a karate school they turn and leave. Sometimes without a Thank You.
    Judo would probably be a great addition to your school. I don't know if it will bring in the mma wannabes, but for new students and your exsisting students that want to add a ground game, it would be great.
    Last edited by hoodedmonk; 1/24/2009 6:13pm at .

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 6:34pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt
    Is this seriously a suggestion to go to some seminars or a few BJJ classes a month and then come back and teach the stuff to his students as if he knows it? I don't think any of us with a brain advocate that, because that's the very essence of bullshido. OP: Do NOT do what Partezan just suggested at all.
    Oh, great. Partezan has just singlehandedly invited the OP to the begining of mma mcdojoism/a subject of another thread here/. Seriously you've got a few pics with Marcelo Garcia and/or Eddie Bravo at a seminar/or any other famous MMA person/, a few belts baught from an mma store and a BTT/ATT gi, sucky takedown knowlege and there you've got it. But I think someone did that allredy in MBAS.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 6:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Import some judo, see if you can scrap together your own in-house ruleset that will incorporate techniques from both classes if anyone's interested.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 6:52pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To 3Moose1,

I call my Royler Gracie black belt instructors who have the white strips at the edges of the red section of their belts Professor, but mostly because it embarrasses them and makes them blush. The most recent black belt instructor doesn't have the white lines yet, so I call him by his first name. Most people just call them all by their first names.

To the thread: I personally couldn't train a martial art with a dogma. I am training to fight, let's forget everything but what works and what doesn't. BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Kickboxing (western or thai or san shou), etc...

To me, if you train techniques that don't work in alive situations (or are ineffective or speculative) for any reason, you're wasting your time. If you want to start with a karate or a tae kwon do or anything, and eliminate what doesn't work while being tested live and keep what does work, you'll end up with something that works. If you keep things that don't work well for tradition's sake, you're making a mistake.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 12:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful
    To 3Moose1,

I call my Royler Gracie black belt instructors who have the white strips at the edges of the red section of their belts Professor, but mostly because it embarrasses them and makes them blush. The most recent black belt instructor doesn't have the white lines yet, so I call him by his first name. Most people just call them all by their first names.
    I call my Saulo Riberio Blackbelt instructor, "Chris"

It really confused me when someone called him "Sifu", until i found out about his (i think 6th degree, but don't quote me) blackbelt in Wing Chun Do.

I call my typical instructor (brownbelt, but i see him more then i see Chris) "Danny"

But yeah, i'm going to be calling Danny "sensei" when he gets his black because it will make him blush like hell.

(just so no one gets all uppity about a _unner, in my bjj? I present these two things:

http://detroitjiujitsu.com/members.html

YouTube - chris blanke sports jujitsu highlights

He also trains successful MMA fighters)

...and no, he doesn't have the moustache anymore. /sigh
    Last edited by 3moose1; 1/25/2009 12:19am at .

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 4:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally would like to have a Judo or Aikido class at my school. Not to combine the two for MMA purposes but to give students the ability to have a well rounded martial arts training in one dojo. We have no BJJ schools any where near, 2 1/2 - 3 hrs away, to bring an instructor in to teach that. My Sensei is against it and says if we would like to keep our dojos "Traditional", being cultural reasons or just for respect of the style itself, we shouldn't incorporate. I think it would be a great thing myself. I guess what I was trying to question went out the wrong way. We have had more influx recently on teens and young adults come in and ask if we teach MMA style? I'm guessing that many havent had any martial arts training or they just really dont know that "MMA, Mixed Martial Arts, " is actually a combination of more than one style. Alot of times when we answer that we are a karate school they turn and leave. Sometimes without a Thank You.
    re-read my post #7, your Sensei is happy because his dojo stays traditional, your students get wellrounded and maybe there will be more students.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 4:10pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****, Im not suggesting you LIE about your background and claim that your a blackbelt but that you actaully learn and get good at the basics and then pass on the knowlege you have. Are you saying people arn't allowed to teach any grapling techniques unless they spend 10 years getting a BJJ blackbelt?

I am against someone teaching "BJJ" in their school but im not against someone teaching their students, say a proper mount escape, obviously as long as they dont claim anything they arn't able to do or claim any qualifications they dont have.

If your scared of loosing customers because kids are coming in looking for MMA, well, those kids are looking for the MMA that they see in UFC so you owe it to them to either get a lot of full time MMA training and start to focus on MMA competitions, get a qualified trainer to teach at your class or just simply turn them away and stay traditional. But what I believe is that every striking school should teach some ground work just like every grapling school should teach some striking.
    Last edited by Partezan; 1/25/2009 11:47pm at .

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/25/2009 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have had more influx recently on teens and young adults come in and ask if we teach MMA style? I'm guessing that many havent had any martial arts training or they just really dont know that "MMA, Mixed Martial Arts, " is actually a combination of more than one style. Alot of times when we answer that we are a karate school they turn and leave. Sometimes without a Thank You.
    MMA is not just a combination of more than one style, it's training to compete under the MMA rule sets. (You don't necessarily have to compete in order to train MMA). Training in more than one style is called cross training. Also if you want to introduce grappling to your students just refer them to a local judo club.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234