Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 7:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, according to wikipedia, the founder of your style died in 1948, so the style itself can't be much older than, say 100 years, which is pretty short in the grand scale of things. I would imagine that there must have been some watershed event or change of outlook that they felt justified them to change the way they were doing things and start a new style.

Whether or not you think it's the right way to go, the rise of combat sports and especially promotions like UFC has been the recent watershed event that has people looking at things differently, questioning what they themselves are doing and the efectivenes of what they teach.

I don't think that means every one should be switching to MMA though. For one thing, most instructors just aren't qualified to teach all aspects of the fight game, and so face the choice of either hiring in talent, or else basically bluffing it. Secondly, while it's not my bag, I do appreciate that other people are into martial arts for reasons other than that they like hitting & choking people - they want the culture type stuff, etc., and it would be a shame to lose that.

One thing you should do though, is look at the training methods used by modern MMA atheletes, and see what you can take from that to improve what you're teaching. You've got to accept that strenght and atheleticism is a huge factor in winning fights, put the myth of the little 70 year old man that can take on all comers to bed, and start encouraging your students to work on strength training to improve their martial art. You should be using aliveness in your training, cut down on the basic air punching and move on to things that challange your sense of ballance, timing and distance. Techniques need to be practiced against resisting oponents, and you should embrace compitition as one of the best simulations we have for a real life altercation. (Yes, I know it's not perfect, but it's the best thing we've got.)

What you should end up with is something that looks reasonably similar to what you started with, only works better. You don't need to make all these changes over night either, but if you see something you could change, give it a try, see how it goes.

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 7:53pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    Ask yourself this, What exactly is traditional Karate? Is traditional Karate holding on to a culture, most likely not your own, for any reason than proficiency at combat?

If all you want to do is cultural preservation then fine stick with what you're doing. If to goal of your students is proficiency in combat (the main "traditional" focus of MA) then you might have to send them else where.

Now to play the analogy game, everyone play along:

Everything evolves over time. If holding on to "traditional" aspects was all that is needed then why doesn't a Model T not perform as proficiently as current model Corvette. It can't without some HEAVY modifications. People hat to admit it but MA is the same way.

OK someone else.....
    Going along with everything evolves over time, try this 4 fun! next time you go to the Dentist tell him you would like to have your tooth fixed the "traditional" way.

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 8:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Combat at all ranges would be (very) nice, but I don't think it's a necessity. People go to boxing gyms or MT schools and don't complain about not learning grappling.

As long as the karate school trains and spars in a manner where they can compete with the other good striking styles it's A-OK in my book.

The real difficulty is finding middle-ground competition for your students to test themselves in. Mma and kickboxing are great, but realistically, only a minority of students want to compete in a format where they are fighting to a K.O. MMA is even more prohibitive because you need a ground game to compete as well as the standup you teach. More knockdown or Koshiki style tournaments would be ideal to provide that reasonably tough/realistic middle ground for the average person (because otherwise, it's just point fighting for them), but in many areas they are non-existant.
    Last edited by maofas; 1/23/2009 8:33pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 8:55pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you and your sensei have this conversation in English? What kind of floor is in your dojo? Do you have kids' classes? What color belts do you use? How much time do you spend on makiwara training? Do you wear gloves when you spar? Do you spar? Do you EVER use or teach ANY technique that isn't part of your style?

I only ask these questions because if you think about the answers, I bet all of them differ from how the founder of your style would have answered them. You've already updated your training many times over the years if you are honest with yourself, I'm willing to bet. If I'm right, then why draw the line at training shoots and sprawls and clinchwork or whatever you think you shouldn't add?

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 9:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kung-Fu Joe
    Really? So, since Muay Thai doesn't incorporate combat at all ranges, it's just playtime? Kyokushin Karate and Boxing, as well?

What about Judo? Is that just akin to Japanese opera, since it doesn't incorporate all ranges? BJJ? Wrestling?

There's a difference between live training and MMA training, you know. You can have the former without needing the latter.

--Joe
    You've got me, but he was comparing karate to MMA, not to alive karate.

My point is that karate used to be, and in my eyes should be, an all-ranges affair, a complete martial art.

But you're right.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    1/23/2009 11:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, Sensei Tucker.

....shouldn't it be Tucker Sensei?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 1:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shohei~Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    Hi, Sensei Tucker.

Yes, It is Tucker Sensei formally. As is used in my Dojo by students and on my web site. Its only used as Sensei Tucker as a log in name on most forum sites for me. Tucker Sensei was already taken on a few sites so just stuck with the latter.

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 5:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    Hi, Sensei Tucker.

I know where you were going with that (and that M. Tripp made a recent thread about this), but I disagree, I don't think it's a big faux pas to have Sensei before the name in the West. In the West titles (doctor, mister, coach, etc.) come before the name. It's a Japanese term, but we're using it within the context of the English language. I think it's somewhat similar to how many people from cultures that put their family names first and personal names second, then come to the U.S. and reverse their names.

As a default I'd refer to someone from Japan the proper way, but in the U.S., ehhhh, whatever, I really don't think it's a huge deal.
    Last edited by maofas; 1/24/2009 5:48am at .

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 11:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I don't really like the whole title thing. I call my coach, "Coach" or by his name. When he gets blackbelt, though, i joke about calling him Sensei.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/24/2009 11:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, as long as they remember that it's an honorific and not a title, and that in Japanese these two things are used differently to English (where the two terms mean practically the same thing) it's all good.

Using "sensei" in your user name is kind of pushing it though.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast